By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Rise of Tomb Raider XBox1 = sales dud of the year?

Hiku said:
Justagamer said:
gintama said:

so , SF:V need to die too ?

No, only deals Microsoft makes are bad. Anything sony does is to be celebrated, and is great. I find it funny that this game selling bad is being celebrated by Sony fans, and saying that deals like this need to stop, but sony paying for deals left and right is totally fine.... love the double standards.

That's pretty hypocritical coming from you, since you were gloating about your early access to the game, and mocking the PS4 fans about having to wait one year.

"Have fun waiting."

And you got 8 thumbs up for that, so clearly you're not the only one here who enjoys gloating and mocking the PS4 fans.
And there is a difference between funding and co-developing a game that didn't have the R&D funds to begin development, as opposed to paying just to delay the game for the other fanbase. Something you were gloating about.
You can do that all you want, but at least be honest about it instead of playing the martyr in another topic.
For the record, I'd rather Sony didn't make that deal with Capcom as I'd rather as many people as possible play SFV, but that's not a great comparison to Tomb Raider. What Sony did with Tomb Raider 2 for PS1 is a closer comparison.

LOL! Good one. Thats some detective level shit. xD

Around the Network

I think the buyout was simply to keep this off of PS4 while Halo 5 released. The "Greatest lineup in Xbox history" is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. It killed the sales of many games (Halo 5, Fallout 4, ROTR). Why release so many AAA titles in suck rapid succession? It did absolutely NOTHING for Xbox One.

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

gintama said:
Mystro-Sama said:
It deserves to die. This business practice needs to be discouraged.

Nah, I'm sure there is some loophole that prevents the SFV exclusive deal from counting as a bad deal for gamers LOL.

LudicrousSpeed said:
gintama said:
Mystro-Sama said:

Nah, I'm sure there is some loophole that prevents the SFV exclusive deal from counting as a bad deal for gamers LOL.

Oh yeah, forgot about those loopholes. Lol.

Justagamer said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
gintama said:
Mystro-Sama said:

Oh yeah, forgot about those loopholes. Lol.

Shockingly, I was right. SFV gets a pass lol.

Anyways, I think TR falls into that category as Titanfall where it being an Xbone exclusive means it needs to sell 23 million copies before it's a success.

Around the Network

Lara got sandwiched. Lol!

I like the comments here, it makes the room spin weeeeeee xD

Bit disappointing considering the game is great. Crystal Dynamics deserve better than fanboy bickering wars.

Eh ?  Fallout 4 only sold around 2.3 Millions in the US ? I thought it was gonna be much bigger than that, like somewhat between 3-4 Millions. I guess there are just too many big games on this months.

Mike321 said:
They made a big mistake releasing it at the same time as fallout 4

^ This. Plus...the fact that it isnt available on all applicable platforms.

yvanjean said:
bevochan said:

Although VgChartz may not be accurate and doesn't include digital sales, Rise of Tomb Raider Xbox1 only sold 105k physical copies in the US whereas as Fallout PS4 sold 1.255 million physical copies (xbox1 1.1 million physical copies).  More than 90% less than Fallout 4 PS4.  It even sold less than Fallout 4 PC physical copies (who buys PC physical disc?).  

Rise of Tomb Raider may not get to 1 million global sales with holiday sales at the end of 2015.  

It's doing better or similar to Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of rome, Forza 6 And Sunset Overdrive. If you look at Xbox One exclusive standards for previous sales it's overperforming or performing has expected not a sales dud has you call it.

First week sales:

Dead Rising 3 - 267K
Ryse: Son of Rome - 247.8K
Rise of Tomb Raider - 230K
 (doesn't include bundle and digital sales)
Forza Horizon 2 - 227K
Sunset OVerdrive - 221.9K
Forza Motorsport 6 - 210.5K
Plant vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare - 91.1K

This game can easily maintain 75K-90k per week sales for the Holidays which would take it to 750k-900k copies sold. The fact that Microsoft foot the bills for marketing and production is actually good for this franchise. Lower sales wont hurt Microsoft and Square Enix makes a profit with less sales.

I dunno. If SE was disappointed with 4 million sales for TR 2013, I'm not sure how less than 1 million in sales by the end of the year is going to make SE any profit, even with the MS money added. Lower sales hurts MS because it makes it a lot harder / more expensive for MS to get exclusivity deals. 3rd parties are going to look at PS4's install base and 3rd party sales compared to Xb one and then look at RoTR, and the rests of that lists pretty low sales and either say thank-you know, or give me more money.

I don't think profit from just the Xbox releases is assured at all. It may come with the PC release, but if SE want's to see a good enough return to be able to make a 3rd tomb raider game they will be relying on the PS4 sales to give them the confidence to keep investing in this franchise. This is why I can't understand at all why any TR fans would want the game to fail on Xbox. It only puts an even greater demand on PS4 when it eventually does come to convince SE that the franchise is worth keeping alive. And all TR fans should be concerned about that. I don't really blame MS for this situation. They thought they had an opportunity and they took it. I blame CD and SE for completely failing to appreciate that going exclusive, even timed exclusive, is bad for the franchise and all the PR bullshit about taking the franchise forward will come to naught if the game fails to deliver good returns. I also don't understand any gloating from TR fans on Xbox. "Oh I get to play this game before all you indiestation peasants." Yeah, well if you are actually a TR fan then these low sales should be concerning you too, and you won't be enjoying any sort of victory dance if this it the last AAA tomb raider game ever made and Lara end up living in the twinstick shooter realms. You better hope PS4 gamers are keen to buy this "old game" at the end of 2016 at more than bargain bin prices, because that might be the only way you get to see Lara in her full glory again.

No one who cares about this franchise should be happy right now.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix