By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony getting away with paid online is the greatest current gen achievement so far.

Mr Puggsly said:
For two generations people called MS greedy for paid online services. Taking that idea is now an achievement for Sony?

Also, you shouldn't call it an achievement. Since its Sony, it should be called a trophy.

Thats because Microsoft was getting away with charging people for online and people were getting back little from it. Sony saw the profitability of what Microsoft was doing but they decided to give back what people put in with their hard earned dollars. Microsoft saw that the PSN+ initiative was working they invested in it.

Around the Network

I disagree. I think charging for online play but still having shitty servers, loads of down time, and laughably slow downloads is a greater achievement. It's basically them taking the money and deciding that instead of improving the quality of the service, just don't, because fuck it why not? At least the UI and system is a hell of a lot faster than PS3.

And, the achievement I listed above still pales compared to what Nintendo has gotten away with regarding Amiibo. I mean what in the actual fuck? I watched their last direct, it was vomit inducing. Almost every game had these stupid little Amiibo gimmicks. I thought the Skylanders BS was a money pit, this is insane. And no one seems to care. They sell tons and people go crazy for them.

Microsoft got away with it, why not sony? At least that is what a corporation would think and we proved them right.
Corporations takes a free service, puts it behind a paywall, everyone is upset about it.. the corporation makes the service cheaper and suddenly everyone is okay with it.. that is the generation we are growing up with

PSN: Opticstrike90
Steam: opticstrike90

LudicrousSpeed said:
I disagree. I think charging for online play but still having shitty servers, loads of down time, and laughably slow downloads is a greater achievement. It's basically them taking the money and deciding that instead of improving the quality of the service, just don't, because fuck it why not? At least the UI and system is a hell of a lot faster than PS3.

And, the achievement I listed above still pales compared to what Nintendo has gotten away with regarding Amiibo. I mean what in the actual fuck? I watched their last direct, it was vomit inducing. Almost every game had these stupid little Amiibo gimmicks. I thought the Skylanders BS was a money pit, this is insane. And no one seems to care. They sell tons and people go crazy for them.

that bolded part is exactly why you're wrong.  Besides shovel knight for DLC which is 3rd party and animal crossing wii u which is terrible you don't need an amiibo for anything remotely important.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

LudicrousSpeed said:

Well for one, Sony just started to invest in servers unlike Microsoft which has had 10 years or so of receiving money. And I remember XBL live servers being crappy back in the day. 

This year, I've seen more reports of XBL going down than PSN and considering XBL has more investment, it's more laughable. XBL shouldn't even be going down at all in the first point. I've only seen PSN go down a few times this year, I would say it's been a pretty good year for PSN. Even this Black Friday, it only went down a couple of hours.  So you saying it still having shitty servers is bs.

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"

Around the Network

Actually i hate the whole online subscription as well. But you gotta admit, those are pretty awesome deal if you own all 3 PS Systems - Vita/PS3/PS4. I only own PS3 and PS4 and man, they do pay off alot! Thanks to massive PlayStation Plus free games + the huge discount.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mr Puggsly said:
For two generations people called MS greedy for paid online services. Taking that idea is now an achievement for Sony?

Also, you shouldn't call it an achievement. Since its Sony, it should be called a trophy.

Thats because Microsoft was getting away with charging people for online and people were getting back little from it. Sony saw the profitability of what Microsoft was doing but they decided to give back what people put in with their hard earned dollars. Microsoft saw that the PSN+ initiative was working they invested in it.

Oh bullshit. Giving back to the people would be not charging for online play.

Most people subscribing just want online play. If onine play was free PS+ would have a small fraction of subscribers it currently has. Just like on PS3.

I credit Sony for raising the bar in value. But the average consumer paying for these services just want online play.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

why don't MS stop charging for online with the XBox 1,that would be an interesting tactic to claw back some share

people always said they have unlimited cash to win this console war early in the gen

Above & Beyond

Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Oh bullshit. Giving back to the people would be not charging for online play.

Most people subscribing just want online play. If onine play was free PS+ would have a small fraction of subscribers it currently has. Just like on PS3.

I credit Sony for raising the bar in value. But the average consumer paying for these services just want online play.

Giving back= Giving the customers a sizable offering of games which matches what they were paying for. Xbox Live Gold was pure profit. Pachter even said so himself.

As for Sony, they need to get on Microsofts level with the online. This isn't going to fly.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Giving back= Giving the customers a sizable offering of games which matches what they were paying for. Xbox Live Gold was pure profit. Pachter even said so himself.

As for Sony, they need to get on Microsofts level with the online. This isn't going to fly.

How about this, "giving back" was a poor choice of words by you. They took away free online play but used free games to help soften the blow of what they once offered free.

The subscription for Xbox Live isn't all profit, there is overhead of running pretty much all the servers. We know this because we see many Sony and EA games shut down servers regularly.

Again, without charging for online play PS+ would have a fraction of its subscribers. They are making big profits from charging for online play now.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)