By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony getting away with paid online is the greatest current gen achievement so far.

Viktor said:
most people are sheep and got fooled by "free" games, which you actually don´t even own, and in most cases were bargain bin material.

oh man how can you write so much bullshit in one sentence?

Around the Network
vivster said:
If you're winning you can do everything. Learned from the best last gen.

Wait, where can you do the waggly motion control gameplay in this gen? PSVR? o:

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

pokoko said:
Hardly. Try Amiibo. Nintendo has adults buying multiple toys, sometimes even duplicates that have been dipped in paint.

Umm, I don't really get what amiibo has to do with this...

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

kurasakiichimaru said:

Yeah I really thought they'll get heavy backlash on this but I guess I didn't pay attention to the progress they were making with PS+. Lol

not really ,it was the greatest achievement last gen for MS, they were the one who started it last gen and gamers had a true alternative with the PS3. Dont blame anyone than yourself as a consumer

Mr Puggsly said:
OneKartVita said:

The thread is asking why did Sony not get the hassle Microsoft did.  I gave you the reason.  Because they offered a package where they can justify it.  Microsoft didn't and never would have if it wasn't for Sony. 

If people only want to sub for online and not get the free games then fair enough.  A lot of people didn't bother getting rocket league and ended up having to buy it later when they discovered it was one of the years best games.  So obviously a large portion are just happy to pay and play.  

Me and others who never liked the whole pay to play that Microsoft offered,  are kept happy by the monthly games. Keeps everyone happy.  Well played Sony,  well played. 

I think enjoying playing online games is what justified paying for online play. Also, Xbox had the edge in multiplayer games. I also took advage of discounts from my Gold account often.

I do give credit to Sony for the "free" games thing.  But I think the primary reason people didn't hassle Sony for charging for online play was simply because the competitor does as well. PS4 charging for online play is when Sony fans finally stopped complaining about Xbox Live.

You can't just group ps4 fans together.  We're not a hive mind you know.  I personally stopped complaining about Xbox live charging when they started giving away games too.  And it wasn't just ps4 fans.  It was pc,  Wii and even xbox fans who used to say it was bad.  

Now you can't because Microsoft at least can justify it now by copying sonys model. 

Around the Network

I can't care less about the online part. I get PS+ solely for the free games and discounts.

vivster said:
Viktor said:
most people are sheep and got fooled by "free" games, which you actually don´t even own, and in most cases were bargain bin material.

Most people like to rather rent good games than to own bargain bin material. Because they aren't hoarders.

Smart people rent games they actually want to play, whenever they want to play them, they aren´t happy wasting money for outdated scraps and surely don´t leave chances to get something interesting to a corporation. Hiding basic online multiplayer functions behind a paywall is just a scam.

The title reads like: Sony getting away with something that the competitor already got away with last gen is the greatest current gen achievement.

Lawlight said:

Don't use the word free then. That won't take away the value. Upwards of $AU6,500 in games is what I got since I've subscribed to PS+ (Day 1 subscriber). Games with Gold only exists because PS+ exists and don't offer as many games and the big games come out much later than on PS+.

The other question is, why would you stop subscribing?

“He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the dark moustache. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother”

― George Orwell, 1984

Cloudman said:
pokoko said:
Hardly. Try Amiibo. Nintendo has adults buying multiple toys, sometimes even duplicates that have been dipped in paint.

Umm, I don't really get what amiibo has to do with this...

The subject is "the greatest current gen achievement so far," right?  I disputed that by naming what I consider to be a more impressive achievement.