By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will PS3 "HOME" be a boost for PS3 sales?

who would buy a console for that? I'm afraid it's far to little to late but i wish the Wii had something besides Miis. i HATE miis. But I own a Wii and not a PS3. So we know who won that argument.

friend code Wii: 1974 0901 4063 4699

360 Live SN: Myahon

PSN: Myahon

Around the Network

there probably is tabsina, it would be horribly flawed if you couldnt. But then again, that would defy the whole point of buying the PS3 for Home wouldnt it? :P

Home might prove to be a bit more incentive for those already interested in PS3, but I don’t see it cranking out major numbers alone. For instance, by definition, I’m a “hardcore” gamer. Home hasn’t swayed me to even think of buying a PS3. It does look nice. But I see lots of nice looking things all over the place that are over priced; that alone never spurs me to purchase them. Also it won’t move people like my 50 year-old mother to buy a console. I mention this simply because she is genuinely considering purchase of a Wii! She has never been interested enough to invest any of her own money in gaming. The last time she bought a console was when she got me my NES. She played Tetris and a bit of Mario Bros. That’s it.Now I’ve had the Wii over at her house for a few weeks and she adores it. PS3 has nothing, including Home, that will convert new people to gaming. This is why I don’t see Home pushing any numbers beyond the people who really want a PS3 to begin with.

"There are three types of lies : Lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli ( Made famous by Mark Twain )

PSN ID: DeviantPathways

Wii Number: 0081 3044 1559 2355

your mother said:
FishyJoe said:
I'm guessing that the high price is even more off putting to the female customers.

I guess I should clarify.

My wife hated gaming prior to the Wii. However, she warmed up to it:

- when she saw my, her, and my son's Miis for the first time

- when she saw the Everyone Votes channel

- when she saw she didn't have to memorize buttons to play Wii Sports

Apart from the last point, the reasons why are pretty much based on social aspects.

She's not a gamer and still isn't, but she has unwittingly "spread the Wii gospel" to others, saying it's fun and even inviting people over to play and have a good laugh.

I was the one who bought the console, but she has "evangelized" it.

Therefore, why can't Sony's Home cause the same effect in her, or indeed, in any female non-gamer?

The entire social aspect is why the Sims franchise has dominated sales in PC-land, and in no small part due to women non-gamers buying it - and playing it!

As I mentioned before, cost is a huge factor. Besides that, online communities can bring out the worst in people. Combine something that is 'free' with a large adolescent male audience and anonymity, you've got a recipe for chaos. It will not be the kind and gentile place for women to discuss things free of harassment.

The Sims has a slightly more mature audience, which includes a lot of woman and people with more mature attitudes. But Home will have everyone, for better or worse. The demographic profile between systems will be quite pronounced. 

There are hundreds of services that are a lot like home, each of which has a dedicated userbase that is (usually) somewhere around 5,000 to 25,000 people. I could be wrong but I suspect that the draw of home is far smaller than Blu-Ray currently is, which means it is not large enough to provide a noticeable boost for the PS3.

Around the Network

home looks fun but its not a system seller at all.

Price aside (which goes down over time), Live is the only thing in which the 360 doesn't fare equal or below the PS3. That's why home is important, not because people will die to get a PS3 to have Home, but because if it delivers half what promises, it will tear into pieces the only technical advantage MS has over Sony now. It could  even force MS to make Live Gold free, which I think it would destroy the expected biggest source of future profits. Think what 50$ a year is when they are getting about 6$ in terms of royalties for each game sold.

As soon as I bought my PS3, I cancelled my Live account (a very tricky and difficult process, by the way). I miss not being able to play some table tennis or MotoGP online every now and then, but paying every month for something I would only use sporadically makes me feel ripped-off. Probably, my biggest single reason to support PS3 in this generation over 360 is not to help MS change the rules of the gaming world to a constantly paying model.

Simply no it will not move consoles. There are only two things that move consoles. Most importantly Games, of which ps3 lacks severly. Secondly price, here to ps3 is way too expensive. When GTAIV, Heavenly Sword, LAIR, etc all come out later this year Sony needs to help explode thier media voices with a dramatic price reduction of $100 or more. That will be their saving grace and if it goes well the only thing to keep them alive in the short term.

Paying, but good service and it's not even 5 $ a month so if you're ripped-off you must find a job and fast. The Home as potential, but it's for now a mimic of the 360 online interface with avatars. Don't forget that is a full 3D interface, that's why the interface of the 360 is more interesting. Press on a button and you have access to all what the 360 can offer easly and fast. With Home, if you want to access something on the interface will you'are in a game, you will have to leave the game and enter you're 3D network abd that means one thing.... Loading. Sorry but the Home is a Habbo Hotel rip off.

Gamertag : Dark Red Icarus  

Gamerscore : 29000!!!! still growing

PSN ID : Gamer9851

Now Playing : Soul Calibur 4 and World of Warcraft

Do anyone know when it will be available? - No idea

Do you think this can boost PS3 sales? - Eh I thought PS3 meant to be for "games"? Oh sorry, wrong guess.

Will you buy a PS3 just because of this? - NO! I buy a game console for games, and wouldn't even use "Home" as it doesn't interest me one bit, then I can better play The Sims and I can't really stand that game. That's why I seriously doubt it will boost up the PS3 sales. I would never drop 600 Euro down for such a program like that and I guess a lot of gamers think along with me.

This profile is no longer in use, see my other profile *~Onna76~*