By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will PS3 "HOME" be a boost for PS3 sales?

Blue3 said:
weezy said:

also, im honestly shocked tretton hasnt been fired as of yet

not so sound negative...

you not, most Ps3 owners want him gone.

Probably not as bad as Sony shareholders...

Around the Network

Personally, as a gamer, I could care less about these social gathering "stuff" - I just want to jump into the game. GameSpy Arcade is perfectly fine for me.

However (and could this be Sony's second trojan horse?), socializing is huge among the female populace, gamer or not.

Hmm... with this and Singstar, is this what Sony has up its sleeve to widen their demographic? Just a thought... 

I'm guessing that the high price is even more off putting to the female customers.

I hate the idea of home. I don't hate the PS3, but home is not appealing for me. I get frustrated enough running and walking around game worlds these days, why do I want to spawn at the bottom of the stairs of the movie theatre and walk up the stairs to see what i'm going to see. Why do I have to walk around a room to play arcade games? I just don't have enough time to devote to this, I'm and ex WOW player and I wont lose my life to something like this again. NO doubt that it will be a popular tool to have, however I'm not sure how Sony can market this product, because it's not like software, it's part of the hardware, so it's going to be difficult to promote with the price point of the PS3. Unfortunately I just don't think many people will buy a PS3 for this alone, when there are good titles and the price is cheaper it is a great selling point, but until then I'm not sure...

Not something i'd buy the console for, as others have said, but it is something nice to experience once some games that are worth getting the $1000 (austrailer) console come out

Around the Network

i can see it becoming an online sex chat type thing, like Sims online became :P nah, just jk. It might help sales a bit, but i cant really see people buying a PS3 for home... its like sumone buying a 360 for Xbox live solely, cant use it fully without good games.

FishyJoe said:
I'm guessing that the high price is even more off putting to the female customers.

I guess I should clarify.

My wife hated gaming prior to the Wii. However, she warmed up to it:

- when she saw my, her, and my son's Miis for the first time

- when she saw the Everyone Votes channel

- when she saw she didn't have to memorize buttons to play Wii Sports

Apart from the last point, the reasons why are pretty much based on social aspects.

She's not a gamer and still isn't, but she has unwittingly "spread the Wii gospel" to others, saying it's fun and even inviting people over to play and have a good laugh.

I was the one who bought the console, but she has "evangelized" it.

Therefore, why can't Sony's Home cause the same effect in her, or indeed, in any female non-gamer?

The entire social aspect is why the Sims franchise has dominated sales in PC-land, and in no small part due to women non-gamers buying it - and playing it! 

i have to agree with OriGin. people with job anyway have less time - why run around instead of instant playing. i don't think HOME will move many people.

@origin and vienna: I'm probably wrong, but isn't there an option to just skip straight to a game rather than walk over to it? (i'm asking)

@tabsina maybe you're right - i only saw this "home" Demo where one guy was walking around.

if you don't need to walk over it i don't understand the advantage of "home"

we will see