By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will PS3 "HOME" be a boost for PS3 sales?

@ gamer9851

let's see, 5x60 months of expected lifespan is 300$,

ah! I see, it's only 100 $ more than the ultra-expensive PS3!

and for that money you also get:

- noBlu-ray

- noWi-Fi

- noCard Reader

- noRechargeable battery for the controller

- noMotion detection

- NoHDMI

- External power supply where you can sit

- More noise

- And last but not least, the emotion that comes from not knowing if yours is going to show the red rings!

Your argument of Home being an imitation of Live speaks for itself. Interms of options Live is not much more than what you already have in the XMB and the PS Store. If you had both consoles you would know. I wouldn't have thought it was a question of money, but since you do, don't let it stop from getting the best. Change jobs. 

Around the Network

Why does it need Home to move consoles, I thought Hot Shots Golf 5 was going to do it? There are very very few games (or whatever Home is classified as) that move significant numbers of consoles. I feel entirely justified in not including Home with the likes of Super Mario Bros., Tetris, Sonic, FF VII, Mario 64, and Halo.

Blu-Ray : not a nessecity particularly when we're not sure it will be the next dominant format. Wi-fi : alot less problem with wired connection, less lag issues. card reader : interesting if you have a PSP, but useless when we talk about the 360 battery : If their is any problem with battery we can change it any time, with PS3 you have 2 options : send the controller to Sony and pay the reparation or vuy an other controller. motion : fonction alomost useless for now on PS3, if you want motion buy a Wii. The motion technology was only a marketing move and to fill the place that was leaved by rumble feature that is more interesting than a limited six axis motion feature. HDMI : maybe if you have a 45 inch or more HDTV, but under that you won't see the difference with regular component cable, again it's only a marketing move to say that full HD is 1080p, it's false. It just depend of the size of the screen. Power Supply : For now the main problem with the PS3 is the the power supply, and because he is inside the console you can't change it you have to replace the all console or send it to Sony for reparation. And generally you're playing when he broke, that mean your game is stuck inside the console. Noise : yes the 360 make noise and the PS3 is silent, but when it get really hot, the fan start running and it get noisy, and sometimes it start while you're wathcing a Blu-Ray. Red Ring : Alot of exageration behind this, yes ther is a problem, but many of the people with the problem don't take care of the product. I had one problem with mine, it was my power supply that broke after 3 consecutives summer storms with between 12h and 24h of no electricity each. I just change the power supply and it's still running well after one year. For what I know, I fear most the PS3 fiability in the long term, Sony is not reputate for long terms fiability. And for all these argument, you can belive or not it's not my problem. I'm assistant manager ina EB Games and pass alot of time cheking news, forum and speaking with consumer, it's generally the best way to really know you're products than having it. Posting argument based on marketing campaign of Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo is only desilusionnal and have no credibility. It's true that the market place and the PS store is different with the Home, but the general interafce, where you can comnuicate, see you're success, listen music or check profile and played games by other gamers is kinda the same, with little difference. For now you press on a button on 360 and you have all that, on PS3 you press the button and you have the option to go to the interface or shut the controller or the console. If you go to the interface you quit the game. It will be the same thing with Home, you go to your Home you leave the game because the thing you can do with Home or the 360 is based on the 3D interface of the Home.

Gamertag : Dark Red Icarus  

Gamerscore : 29000!!!! still growing

PSN ID : Gamer9851

Now Playing : Soul Calibur 4 and World of Warcraft

Red Ring = people don't take car of product = BS. My buddy who has a 360 and ps3 has had the 360 since launch. It has been replaced 3 times. It is sitting on a table with no surroundings. Completely open to have the best ventilation. Face it, MS just made a crappy product...agian.

My take- Home's success depends on: 1) Scale- number of active users of HOME and number of shops/functions/contents in HOME 2) Diversity- user and contents - Just a young gamers' community? 3) The compelling reason to use Home instead of internet - any special attractive contents only on Home? Can use all of Sony Music/Picture's non-DRM contents for free? I have no reason to buy PS3 because of HOME. Personally I am just happy to use/search internet mainly via PC. there are lots of diverse communities. Sometimes I enjoy internet through Wii to view something interesting with my family and friends.

Around the Network

yeah

PLAYSTATION®3

Home isn't a game... it's a service. I really like the idea, and I think it has tons of potential, but it's not going to sell $500 systems. So how big of an impact? None, no one is going to go out and buy PS3 just for home, that's just dumb. Bundled with good games, it can be a great service just like Xbox live (or even better).

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

no it won't , but it's a nice and free service for those that already got their PS3s

I think that it will increase sales of both hardware and software modestly. Home is going to offer too much value to be ignored - Free movies every week in its theatre, from Sony Pictures - It will increase movie sales from viewing of previews - It will increase software sales from all the free advertizing sony will take advantage of. - A lot of people actually like social networking so this could tip the odds in favor of sony for some of them vs a 360 So, its advantages won't translate only to sony's videogames business.

I don't think it will bump sales and I don't think it's meant to, it's to make the online PS3 experience surpass the Xbox Live one, so for people who have PS3s their experience will have a lot added to it but it won't sell systems. It's basically responding the the criticisms of lack of a common online play system that 360 has. Games sell systems, I don't think anyone bought a 360 to read the menus on Xbox Live and no one will buy a PS3 to get on Home, but if you got one then you will enjoy it probably.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!