By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Five Games That Define You as a Gamer and/or a Person

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Legend of Dragoon
Deus Ex
Halo
Mass Effect

Around the Network

I'm just gonna list my games only because I doubt anyone actually cares about my explanation why.

1. BIT.TRIP Saga
2. Fire Emblem games
3. Super Smash Bros. series
4. Starcraft BW + 2
5. Team Fortress 2

Xeon said:

Hey Guys,

I thought this would be a good forum topic game.  Basically, choose five games and write about how it has influenced your life as a gamer and person.  I'll start!

Super Mario Brothers:

I got my first console with Super Mario Brothers and Duck Hunt packed in with it and my life as a gamer was pretty much set the first time I picked up the controller to play Super Mario Brothers.  I remember playing with my Dad, my cousins, and my friends as we controlled Mario and Luigi through all the worlds.  It helped get me through some pretty rough times in my early life as well.

Ultima IV:  Quest of the Avatar:

Me and my cousins got the NES version of this game for Christmas back in the mid 90s.  Although we already had an SNES at the time, this game still kept us captivated.  I thought it did an awesome job of teaching you to follow the various virtues and what they were.  I remember I would recite the 8 or so virtues before going to bed and always tried my best to uphold them in my everyday life.  It was also my first exposure to RPG games which has influenced me for the past 20 years or so.

Castlevania III:  Dracula's Curse:

My first exposure to this, overall, awesome series.  I remember being the best out of all my cousins and friends and they would watch me and cheer me on as I played.  I spent countless hours trying to beat this game, because it had branching paths and different usable characters.  I remember when I was finally able to overcome Dracula and defeat all his three forms.  Such an epic experience when I was so little.  Of course, Symphony of the Night is a wonderful game as well, but didn't have the same influence to me as Dracula's Curse since I was so young and impressionable back then.

Final Fantasy VI:

In my opinion, the best Final Fantasy game to date.  Final Fantasy VII comes close but the characters and music in VI helps it get my vote.  Again, I played through much of it with my cousins and friends.  We all took turns while the others watched.  Whenever we were stuck, we had to collectively put our brains together to try and figure out various puzzles.  I remember arguing at times but we finally managed to get through it together.  I would revisit Final Fantasy VI several times by myself throughout the years, and I believe it still holds up.

Metal Gear Solid:

I was blown away when I first saw my cousin play this game.  It was almost just as fun watching and listening to experience the story with him as he played.  I then borrowed it from and and played through it myself.  Later on, I would have a bunch of conversations with a friend debating on what Metal Gear Solid 2 would be about when it was announced.  We were both way off (Sneaky Kojima!) but it was fun to speculate regardless.

Wow, I already chose 5.  I didn`t even get to go into the PS2/PS3/PC but I think I'll stop here.  There are of course more I could add, but they will have to wait another day.

So, what about you?  What 5 games help influence your life?

Castlevania III. Man, the memories.... My brother and I beat it with all of the characters except Trevor by himself. That doppelganger fight was too hard!  I should YouTube the ending!

I think I did it wrong. As far as games actually influencing my life?

Quake II on PS1. While everybody else was playing GoldenEye, I was playing Quake II. I sucked pretty bad but it brought me and my (former) girlfriend's soon closer together. He was legitimately excited to see me and hang out.

Feeding Frenzy/Super Rub a Dub/Space Channel 5/Support Mario Galaxy: my daughter is a great gamer. These are the first games she played or we played together. Best memories I'll ever have. We still game together even though she's 14, now.

Tetris Attack: my mom thought gaming was a waste of time. I'd spend whole days alone locked in my room with my Super NES. Tetris Attack took gaming out of my bedroom and into the living room. The whole family was addicted and my mom was a beast!

Metal Gear: Snake's Revenge: I was a naive little kid when I got this game. By the time it was over, my partners Nick Meyers, John Turner, and Jennifer.... uh... She didn't have a last name, I guess--were all dead or missing. It bothered me as a kid. Felt like people I knew had died.

Super Mario Bros: when I was young, I was "that video game kid". I thought I'd outgrow them but it never happened. I'd played games before but this is where I fell in love. I play any genre, any system, any time, anywhere but it can all be traced back to the NES and the day I met Super Mario.

Kotastic said:
I'm just gonna list my games only because I doubt anyone actually cares about my explanation why.

1. BIT.TRIP Saga
2. Fire Emblem games
3. Super Smash Bros. series
4. Starcraft BW + 2
5. Team Fortress 2

I care.

Around the Network

Great lists everyone. Always interested in seeing people's journey through games.

d21lewis:

I don't think I ever best it with Trevor by himself either. Also, it's nice that you're a father and able to share that passion with your daughter. I actually bought Super Rub a Dub for my little bro as well when he was still a kid. He's 18 now and we try to games together when we can. I hope to be able to game with my own kid one day but we'll have to see what the future has in store for my wife and I

Kotastic:

I'm sure many would like to read your reasons. You have a solid list of games there but no pressure to share if you don't feel comfortable.

Game_God said:

Tetris
Zelda: LTTP
Secret of Mana
Chrono Trigger
Mario Kart
Goldeneye
Counter Strike
Gran Turismo 4/5
rFactor
Richard Burns Rally
BF3
Starfox
Racing Lagoon
Soulcalibur

5 games can't define me as a gamer, sorry...

Yeah, I quickly realized 5 is not nearly enough for me but had to stop myself for the sake of time.  Great list!

ICO - 0 > 1
Atelier Rorona - diabetes of the good kind

Age of Empires: This game introduced me to ancient history and actually made me look into how human civilisation began. Now I'm an adult, pretty much all of my holidays have featured visiting some sort of ancient ruins of a long lost civilisation. It was a great RTS too.

Super Mario World: As a kid, this was the game I kept coming back to and something about it just sparked my imagination in a way no game had done previously.

Final Fantasy VII: This game was the first game where I actually cared about the characters and made me realise that games were actually a valid and worthwhile storytelling medium. By the time the remake comes out, my son should just about be approaching game playing age; I can't wait to introduce him to it.

Half-Life (& 2): There aren't many games that have you play a geeky scientist and still make you feel like a complete badass that's gonna save the world. As a scientist in real-life, something about this just works for me.

Deus Ex: This game is actually partially responsible for helping me choose my career path. When I played it, I was deciding my degree course. It was between Computer Science or Biotechnology. After seeing the world and the technology presented in the original Deus Ex (and looking at what grades and Uni I was likely to get into) I chose Biotechnology so I could help see if some of those innovations were possible.

Pokemon Blue: My first video game ever, which caused me to become a huge fan of Pokemon, which has been my favorite video game franchise since I've gotten this game. Between this and Red, I've probably beaten this game over 20 times.

Super Mario 64: My first console game ever, which caused me to permanently become a Nintendo fan

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: My first Zelda game and I think I may have beaten this game more than any other non-Pokemon game.

Super Smash Bros Melee: I played the original Smash Bros a lot at my neighbor's house, but I never owned it. This was the first game I got with my Gamecube and this is what really got me into Super Smash Bros. Super Smash Bros is now my second favorite video game franchise because of this game mostly.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door: My favorite game of all time. It's just a masterpiece.

Wii U NNID:  CWegzz
3DS Friend Code:  4210-5277-5484
PSN:  Ronnoc4
Steam:  CWegz