By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Forbes: Wii U-Only Zelda Game Would be a Mistake

This proves why just thinking from a purely business perspective ala Forbes isn't always the right approach for the industry. In reality it would be a mistake to make it for both. It would send the message to Wii U owners that not only did the console have an extremely short life span, but they couldn't even commit to one true Wii U Zelda for it before jumping ship to NX. Why would that make the loyal fans who got the system want to support the NX?

And from the other side of the coin, Zelda U on NX will give a bad impression of what the system can do because it will merely be a glossy Wii U port. It will make it seem like NX is barely an improvement over Wii U's capabilities, and how exactly will that attract all the people that didn't buy a Wii U? They need to not be wasting resources on porting a Wii U game with slight visual improvements to NX and be focusing on the software designed specifically for that system so they can have at least one killer launch title that sells the platform. IF NX is even coming in 2016, which I still don't believe anyways.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Esiar said:

I think it's the other way around. The next Zelda was (very) briefly spoken about in the Nintendo Direct this month, and they said it was a Wii U game, while an NX release wasn't spoken about at all.

They also said it was coming in 2015.

And after Skyward Sword that "the next Zelda won't take 5 years".

They are pathological liars, how am I supposed to trust anything they say?

Almost every 3D Zelda game was delayed, so that wasn't really surprise, especially when Zelda U is first HD and biggest true open Zelda game.

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

They also said it was coming in 2015.

And after Skyward Sword that "the next Zelda won't take 5 years".

They are pathological liars, how am I supposed to trust anything they say?

Almost every 3D Zelda game was delayed

Which only reinforces how untrustworthy any info they give us on it is.

curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Almost every 3D Zelda game was delayed

When have game that is delayed same like previous game in series isn't nothing strangely, espacily becuse that is doing evry other game devolper on market. But delaying game doesn't have anything with if game will come on Wii U at all, and there is no any reason to doubt it about that fact that Zelda U is Wii U game.

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

When have game that is delayed same like previous game in series isn't nothing strangely, espacily becuse that is doing evry other game devolper on market. But delaying game doesn't have anything with if game will come on Wii U at all, and there is no any reason to doubt it about that fact that Zelda U is Wii U game.

Nintendo knows they are fucked if NX doesn't take off. Knowing that, I wouldn't put it passed them to hold Zelda ransom, to try to force people to upgrade.

It would be a stupid move, as they'd burn their core fanbase, but stupid moves are modern Nintendo's specialty. 

This E3 made it abundantly clear they don't give a damn about Wii U anymore. All we're getting now and in the foreseeable future is late ports/localizations and low budget filler. In light of this, it's easy to see them severing Wii U entirely.

Around the Network

Yeah, like all those cross-gen games that 'ankwardly transition' between generations....They mention that, like it's a concept that has barely been heard of, and like you cant optimize for better/diffrent specs.

Aside from that, I'm not convinced that it will be a cross-gen release. I expect Zelda U to drop hollydays 2016 and the NX hollydays 2017. I might be wrong of course, but I think the TLOU remaster route is more likely.

curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Nintendo knows they are fucked if NX doesn't take off. Knowing that, I wouldn't put it passed them to hold Zelda ransom, to try to force people to upgrade.

It would be a stupid move, as they'd burn their core fanbase, but stupid moves are modern Nintendo's specialty. 

This E3 made it abundantly clear they don't give a damn about Wii U anymore. All we're getting now and in the foreseeable future is late ports/localizations and low budget filler. In light of this, it's easy to see them severing Wii U entirely.

Nintendo knows that, but also knows they cant fucked up early adopters, Wii U owners and biggest Nintendo supporters buy not releasing Zelda U on Wii U at all. NX will have huge launch game and Wii U owners will have their Zelda, it win-win situation, not to mention they will sell game on two platforms. Its exactly same situation we had with TP last gen.

Agree I would be very stupid move and that's why Nintendo will release Zelda U on Wii U console, which is very obvious.

Agree, they continue to support Wii U/3DS with ports, spin offs and fillers while they are preparing for NX, but that's completely different from taking biggest game from consumer that is announced at beginning of console life, that is showed few time, that almost every time is confirmed for that console and that is already almost finished for that console.

Like I wrote, you dont have any reason to doubt that Zelda U will not come on Wii U. Zelda NX version isnt confirmed, not Wii U Zelda game.

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

Nintendo knows that, but also knows they cant fucked up early adopters, Wii U owners and biggest Nintendo supporters buy not releasing Zelda U on Wii U at all. NX will have huge launch game and Wii U owners will have their Zelda, it win-win situation, not to mention they will sell game on two platforms. Its exactly same situation we had with TP last gen.

Agree I would be very stupid move and that's why Nintendo will release Zelda U on Wii U console, which is very obvious.

Agree, they continue to support Wii U/3DS with ports, spin offs and fillers while they are preparing for NX, but that's completely different from taking biggest game from consumer that is announced at beginning of console life, that is showed few time, that almost every time is confirmed for that console and that is already almost finished for that console.

Like I wrote, you dont have any reason to doubt that Zelda U will not come on Wii U. Zelda NX version isnt confirmed, not Wii U Zelda game.

I want you to be right, I really do.

But I do have reason to doubt it; Nintendo have shown they do not keep their word.

V-r0cK said:
I think NX needs a new NX-only Zelda game.

O god, finally someone posted it. Zelda U must be Wii U game. NX must get another big loZ game in future. I can't understand why people here want one Zelda game per two generations.

curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

I want you to be right, I really do.

But I do have reason to doubt it; Nintendo have shown they do not keep their word.

They delivered or they will deliver everything they promise on Wii U so they certainly not screw people over their biggest thing this generation. You are acting like Nintendo constantly lying and don't care about their fans at all, and that isnt true at all, sure they delay games, but they sticking to "delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad", but also all other companies are delaying games all the time.

Also, what would they say now again "new Zelda is coming on Wii U next year" if they relly plan no to relased it on Wii U at all, in that case they would just say "new Zelda game is coming next year" without mention Wii U at all.

Again, you don't have any reason to doubt about Zelda, you have all facts and they are saying that game is coming on Wii U and you agree that would be very stupid if game wouldn't come at all on Wii U. Nintendo knows to make strange decisions, but they are not stupid, they wouldn't survive so long if they are stupid, even this gen that is they worst gen ever they are making profit.