By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Forbes: Wii U-Only Zelda Game Would be a Mistake

zorg1000 said:
Nem said:

We are going completely around back to consumer perception. The original Xbox was the first system of an underdog in the market (comparable to the sega master system). The fact that they didnt give up after it was already a good sign for the consumer. Very different from the case with Nintendo. This isnt nintendo's first system.

For the rest we are seeing about the same. The Wii U wasnt a great value proposition, the question remains how the NX can change that.

What was the consumer perception of Gamecube? Not very good, look at how well Wii did.

What was the consumer perception of Playstation 2? Amazing, look at the drop PS3 had.

What was the consumer perception of Nintendo DS? Amazing, look at the drop 3DS had.

A new generation is like a clean slate, the success/failure of a console isn't dictated by the success/failure of its predeccessor.

The Wii targeted a different consumer than the GC did. Its the reason why it was sucessful but its not popular with the hardcore gamers. The interface is simplistic and innacurate. Third party software sold very badly.

The PS3 benefited alot from the PS2, i don't see what your point is. If it came off a dud, it would've been a different situation.

3DS, just like the PS3 had a price barrier to overcome.

As for the other poster, the PSP was not seen as a sucess. It was rampant with piracy, wich is why it sold so well.

A new generation is not a clean slate you are oh so direly mistaken on that. I don't even know how you can say something like that. When you buy the sequal of a game, you don't take into account how much you enjoyed the original? That is unthinkable.

Finally, its not the only defining factor, but it greatly influences the first years. Why do people keep thinking my argument is simplistic? Either X years? Or only this this one factor? Cmon... get real. The purchase of a console is a complex decision. Its not up to one or two things, several things weight in. The value given to each one is determined by the individual consumer.

Around the Network
Nem said:
zorg1000 said:

What was the consumer perception of Gamecube? Not very good, look at how well Wii did.

What was the consumer perception of Playstation 2? Amazing, look at the drop PS3 had.

What was the consumer perception of Nintendo DS? Amazing, look at the drop 3DS had.

A new generation is like a clean slate, the success/failure of a console isn't dictated by the success/failure of its predeccessor.

The Wii targeted a different consumer than the GC did. Its the reason why it was sucessful but its not popular with the hardcore gamers. The interface is simplistic and innacurate. Third party software sold very badly.

The PS3 benefited alot from the PS2, i don't see what your point is. If it came off a dud, it would've been a different situation.

As for the other poster, the PSP was not seen as a sucess. It was rampant with piracy, wich is why it sold so well.

A new generation is not a clean slate you are oh so direly mistaken on that. I don't even know how you can say something like that. When you buy the sequal of a game, you don't take into account how much you enjoyed the original? That is unthinkable.

Finally, its not the only defining factor, but it greatly influences the first years. Why do people keep thinking my argument is simplistic? Either X years? Or only this this one factor? Cmon... get real. The purchase of a console is a complex decision. Its not up to one or two things, several things weight in. The value given to each one is determined by the individual consumer.

So my point still stands, the success/failure of a device doesn't dictate the success/failure of the successor.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Nem said:

So my point still stands, the success/failure of a device doesn't dictate the success/failure of the successor.

It doesnt dictate, it greatly influences the initial adoption rate. And by initial i mean years, not launch day. Though i would be surprised if launch day didnt see an impact aswell.

Nem said:
zorg1000 said:

It doesnt dictate, it greatly influences the initial adoption rate. And by initial i mean years, not launch day. Though i would be surprised if launch day didnt see an impact aswell.

Ya it plays a factor but I think u are overestimating its influence.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Nem said:

Wii has more third party million sellers than Gamecube and Wii U combined.