By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Forbes: Wii U-Only Zelda Game Would be a Mistake

OmegaRed421 said:
It's coming to the Wii U. I don't care if they put it on the NX as well but if I don't get it on my Wii U I would NOT buy a NX out of spite. I bought Wii U for ZombiU and Zelda....wasn't sure if I'd see a Metroid. I think it is more likely a new Metroid will pull a TP on NX and Wii U.

Don't even tease me. That would be the greatest E3 moment of my life. "Zelda Wii U" hitting Winter 2016, "Metroid Prime 4" dual release in the Fall of 2017 - Nintendo would be right back in "favored" status with me. 

I would much rather have a few unannounced titles head up the NX launch (even if they were secretly destined for the Wii U previously). If an enhanced port of "Zelda Wii U" is anything more than icing-on-the-cake for the NX launch, then Nintendo is in for some serious trouble. I don't see a Wii phenomenon repeating itself here. NX will have to succeed on the merit of its OWN games.  

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network

If Nintendo's next console has the potential to be successful, it does not need a new Zelda. Even with just a new Mario it can do well. If the next Zelda is released on the NX as well as the Wii U, the Wii U will be the first Nintendo console without an exclusive Zelda. That will be a huge insult to Wii U owners, more so than the short lifespan (which isn't that bad).

I'm sorry but this is 100% correct. Zelda is a mega franchise for Nintendo and it won't sell half as many copies as it could if it was on the NX.

Not only that, but Nitendo's next launch NEEDS to go well - and this will help a ton!

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Magnus said:
If Nintendo's next console has the potential to be successful, it does not need a new Zelda. Even with just a new Mario it can do well. If the next Zelda is released on the NX as well as the Wii U, the Wii U will be the first Nintendo console without an exclusive Zelda. That will be a huge insult to Wii U owners, more so than the short lifespan (which isn't that bad).

Well one thing that a lot of people aren't taking into account is that if Zelda U doesn't also release on NX than when will it get a mainline Zelda title?

Wind Waker-Holiday 2002

Twilight Princess-Holiday 2006

Skyward Sword-Holiday 2011

Zelda U-Holiday 2016

Zelda has about a 4-5 year cycle time, if Zelda U doesn't also release on NX than it will be 2020 as a best case scenario or more likely 2021 so 4 or so years after NX launch.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

Still only possible cos it was made in an era where games took vastly less time and resources than they do today. 2 years for a next gen Zelda is impossible, especially for a team infamous for their delays.

Agree, and thats why I said 2-3 years, not just one year like MM. And not impossible, ok they say NX Zelda will come in two years after Zelda U, and they delayed it for one year (very likely :)), thats 3 years, again time frame that I mentioned, 2-3 years.

Also its not just pulling MM with NX Zelda, its also that Nintendo will not have 2 completely different platforms like before, with NX they will have just one platform, so they will not make 2 difrent Zelda games in same time like this gen ALBW and Zelda U, or difrent remakes and ports for handheld and seperate for home console.

2 years for a AAA next gen title from a studio notorious for dragging its feet is about as likely as a diamond meteorite landing in your backyard.

Read carefully what I wrote.

Around the Network
Magnus said:

I really didn't see that anyone would be insulted if NX is Zelda U port, really who cares when we can still play Zelda U on Wii U. Also if you look almost every Zelda was remade or ported and released, so you basically don't have any exclusive Zelda title (I am pretty sure that we will have SS HD on NX).

Jumpin said:
Nem said:

You didnt understand what i said. I said consumer perception is what matters. The number of years are not necessarely the defining factor.

He posted evidence that contradicted the premise of your argument, six examples. So your argument is thoroughly refuted.

I guess you think pig's can fly aswell.

zorg1000 said:
Nem said:

You didnt understand what i said. I said consumer perception is what matters. The number of years are not necessarely the defining factor.

Yes, I completely understand what u said, that Wii U getting a successor after 4 years will hurt consumer confidence and I used 3 examples of devices that got successors in similar time frames and it went well for the company and I gave 3 examples of devices with much longer cycles and the the result was the opposite.

Releasing a successor earlier than normal does not guarantee failure.

Fine. Quote me saying that. You're making stuff up.

I said consumer perception is what matters. Right now, consumer perception on the Wii U isnt very positive. Not the case with those other examples you gave. Thank you very much. Don't come back if you're gonna make stuff up.

Nem said:
zorg1000 said:

Yes, I completely understand what u said, that Wii U getting a successor after 4 years will hurt consumer confidence and I used 3 examples of devices that got successors in similar time frames and it went well for the company and I gave 3 examples of devices with much longer cycles and the the result was the opposite.

Releasing a successor earlier than normal does not guarantee failure.

I said consumer perception is what matters. Right now, consumer perception on the Wii U isnt very positive. Not the case with those other examples you gave. Thank you very much. Don't come back if you're gonna make stuff up.

"If this is really a new system, they have killed the Wii U about as early as SEGA killed the Saturn. What garantee will cosnumers have that they won't do it yet again once they aren't pleased with NX sales? Its the same exact thing that killed the Dreamcast"

U are clearly saying that replacing Saturn so soon was what killed consumer perception and caused the Dreamcast to fail.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Nem said:

"If this is really a new system, they have killed the Wii U about as early as SEGA killed the Saturn. What garantee will cosnumers have that they won't do it yet again once they aren't pleased with NX sales? Its the same exact thing that killed the Dreamcast"

U are clearly saying that replacing Saturn so soon was what killed consumer perception and caused the Dreamcast to fail.

By "as early as" i didnt say X years. I defined it as the ammount of time where consumers arent satisfied with whats on offer. This can vary from 1 year to 2,3,4,5,6, 10,20, etc. years, its irrelevant. It depends on the support that was offered to the system in that time. Whats relevant is wether consumers are satisfied and willing to buy a new system.

A system can be in the market for 10 years with the average of 1 game a year. Will anyone be happy at the end and willing to buy a new system from that manufacturer? They are probably not. Dont try to pass my argument as something as simple as X years = sucess or failure.