By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What games have surprised you the most this gen?

AEGRO said:

Transistor.

I think that is one of the best games ive ever played, honestly. The art, gameplay and story are top notch, but the soundtrack? THE BEST.Period.

I agree with him transistor was just amazing... i even have buy song on steam store, first time i ever buy a song in this last 10 years.

Around the Network

none

Splatoon! I didn't care about it when it first got revealed at E3 2014, but now it's definitely one of my most played WiiU games! Nintendo did a great job with it.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Lego City Undercover - Fun, funny, and lengthy
Bloodborne - Scary, fluid, and the first "souls" game I ever played to the end

Probably my favorite and best survival game i ever played. its art style, quircky sense of humor, monsters, fantasy, and over all world and feel are amazing. its truly a unique experience. the gameplay is hard but good. its characters are amazing and each make you have a different play style. its a game that i honestly truly love. i had this game at launch with Fifa 14, Killzone Shadow fall, Battlefield 4 and CoD Ghosts all available to me on PS4. and i spent my time playing this. such a fantastic game.

i heard this game was good and fun. it was released on PS+ so i downloaded to give it a try, it seemed cool. i got hooked. i still play it to this day. its one of the most fun games i ever played. plus, it has up to 4 player split screen, which is a HUGE plus on this. me and my brothers have played a collective of 65 hours so far, and we are still playing it constantly. the addition to of free DLC and maps has been amazing as well. love this game.

okay, this isnt much of a surprise as the game looked amazing and it seemed very promising. what was "surprising", at least to me, which just how much i loved this game and how outstanding it was. i am by no means an "RPG" fan, and the witcher 3 was a "might buy" for me before release. though once i played the game i started having fun, and as more time went by the better it got and i was hooked in no time. my GOTG so far and one that is VERY hard for any game to surpass for me. (until rockstar release RDR2, which might have a shot). 

Around the Network

Donkey Kong Country TRopical Freeze, i first thought it could be another cool sidescrolling platformer, BUT OH MY GOD! THAT GAME WAS AMAZING

arcaneguyver said:
I was surprised at how well Until Dawn sold. Surprised how disappointing the campaign was in vanilla Destiny. Surprised how MGS5 turned out - had someone told me beforehand there'd be very few cinematics, I'd have laughed them off.

Thats what happens when the majority of the early adopters  of the most popular consoles buy games. There were 360 games that sold incredibly well, but Sony set that standard since the PS1 era. They used to be close with EA because of that but that changed with Microsofts deals. 

Sunset Overdrive, it was such an amazing and fun game would still say it is the best game of the gen so far.

Also the order 1866 surprised me as it received so much bad reviews and general hate and when I got round to playing it I though it was great.

splatoon for the fun 

Child of light for awesomeness

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Tearaway - it just came out of nowhere and was a masterpiece.
There are also more great games this gen (Bloodborne, The Witcher 3..) but Tearaway was the game which surprised me the most!