By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Tennis Ultra Smash at 61 on Metacritic

AlfredoTurkey said:

it's always good for a company to support their current fanbase even if small in number. You don't want them to pull a Sega and just dive into the next generation ala Saturn etc.

This. Alienating your core fanbase can be fatal, as Sega found out the hard way. The Wii U's player base may be small, but it comprises the most faithful Nintendo loyalists, who have stuck with them brough thick and thin. If Nintendo loses them, they'll have no audience left at all. 

Around the Network

and the absence of motion controls makes it even worse for me, are they even targeting their audience or what?

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Is the definition of MEH made videogame.

You cannot say that is bad because the mechanics look as efective as previous Mario Tennis, but is so shallow and unexciting that is criminal. Dissapointed. I wasn't very interested on it on the first place but this and Crapmiibo Festival shows the worst face of Nintendo and I hope they don't repeat this.

A shame because the basic gameplay and visuals have been well received. With a decent amount of game modes and options this game would'be 75+, waste of potential. Might eventually pick it up if the price is right because (local) multiplayer will still be good.

Spending warm summer days indoors   

Writing frightening verse

To a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, WiiU, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, Mega Drive, Game Gear, PS1, PS2, PSP, XBOX 360, Atari Lynx

I guess this game is a demonstration of why Nintendo did the right thing in delaying Star Fox and Zelda. Clearly this game should also have been delayed, but they didn't want to leave a barren holiday season even more barren. It's just a real shame because the backbone of a great Mario Tennis game is there, but the feature set is woefully lacking.

And though I don't religiously follow Metascores, I find them to be a very good indication, particularly when it comes to games that I'm on the fence about.

Around the Network
Cream147 said:
I guess this game is a demonstration of why Nintendo did the right thing in delaying Star Fox and Zelda. Clearly this game should also have been delayed, but they didn't want to leave a barren holiday season even more barren. It's just a real shame because the backbone of a great Mario Tennis game is there, but the feature set is woefully lacking.

And though I don't religiously follow Metascores, I find them to be a very good indication, particularly when it comes to games that I'm on the fence about.

Yep, Nintendo are stuck between a rock and a hard place right now. Attempting to transition onto both NX and mobile while still putting out some kind of support for 3DS and Wii U. This and Amiibo Festival screamed "filler" when they were revealed at E3, and it's a huge shame given the core mechanics of Mario Tennis are still great judging by reviews, that there's so little on top of that. Recycled animations, lack of content and polish is not what you expect from a Nintendo published title. 

Hopefully the delays will do Star Fox and Zelda a world of good, and I do think, given Atlus and Intelligent Systems' pedigree, FExSMT could be quite good, but at least one of these late 2015 games should have been scrapped and resources put elsewhere. Personally I could really do without Amiibo Festival. While Mario Tennis is certainly a rushed filler title, at least it's not a naked cash grab like Amiibo Festival. 

Mr Puggsly said:
It looks like this game is getting hit for not offering modes that encourage you to keep playing.

I always argued that about Mario Kart but it always gets amazing scores.

Look I agree with you. Seeing the options and modes that other racing games have these days puts mario kart to shame. 

Einsam_Delphin said:
Mr Puggsly said:
It looks like this game is getting hit for not offering modes that encourage you to keep playing.

1 plain arena vs. 32 tracks, do I really need to go any further than that?

Some genres get attacked for a short campaign or no campaign. Multiplayer only games are treated as criminal. Some games without multiplayer also a bad deal.

Few modes and bunch of recycled tracks in Mario Kart though. Perfect score!

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Blob said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Look I agree with you. Seeing the options and modes that other racing games have these days puts mario kart to shame. 

I think its the 4 player split screens. Little content is okay eith more screens.

Same thing with Smash Bros. Lots of players, little depth or value, great scores.

I think they have great gameplay though. It just seems they lack what is expected of most games.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Blob said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I think its the 4 player split screens. Little content is okay eith more screens.

Same thing with Smash Bros. Lots of players, little depth or value, great scores.

I think they have great gameplay though. It just seems they lack what is expected of most games.

And now we're in disagreance lol.

Smash is the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to things to do. As I said earlier it should be the template for Nitnendos other games