Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Tennis Ultra Smash at 61 on Metacritic

They are killing this holiday season.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network

I think its the 4 player split screens. Little content is okay eith more screens.

Same thing with Smash Bros. Lots of players, little depth or value, great scores.

I think they have great gameplay though. It just seems they lack what is expected of most games.

Really, Smash Bros has little depth and value now...?

Spending warm summer days indoors   

Writing frightening verse

To a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, WiiU, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, Mega Drive, Game Gear, PS1, PS2, PSP, XBOX 360, Atari Lynx

Curmudgeon said:

I think its the 4 player split screens. Little content is okay eith more screens.

Same thing with Smash Bros. Lots of players, little depth or value, great scores.

I think they have great gameplay though. It just seems they lack what is expected of most games.

Really, Smash Bros has little depth and value now...?

Lol, yeah. I'm not a Smash fan, but this doesn't make any sense xDDDDD

Well, Mario Tennis Open on the 3DS is garbage, and this looks no better, so I'm not surprised. I dunno what Nintendo was thinking dumbing down what was already the most easy and accessible tennis game on the market. This series is a pathetic shadow of its former self.

Zekkyou said:
Damn media and its anti-Nintendo bias. This deserves at least a 96 (i should know, i watched the first 50 seconds of a trailer on youtube).

Didn't you see the thread? Media is only biased against Japanese Nintendo thirdparty(ish) exclusives. Pay attention man! Some people.....

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:

Is the definition of MEH made videogame.

You cannot say that is bad because the mechanics look as efective as previous Mario Tennis, but is so shallow and unexciting that is criminal. Dissapointed. I wasn't very interested on it on the first place but this and Crapmiibo Festival shows the worst face of Nintendo and I hope they don't repeat this.

This is absolutely a bad game. The mechanics are not as effective as previous Mario Tennis games. At all. It's weird that I seem to be the only one who's noticed this. No review I have read on either the 3DS or Wii U title have mentioned how they effectively stripped 80% of your control over shot placement  out of the game. That, and those damn marks telling you where yo stand and which shot to make -- it's barely even a game at all! It's insulting! I feel like I need to tell the world.

Maybe I'll make a thread. -_-

Mr Puggsly said:
Blob said:
Mr Puggsly said:
It looks like this game is getting hit for not offering modes that encourage you to keep playing.

I always argued that about Mario Kart but it always gets amazing scores.

Look I agree with you. Seeing the options and modes that other racing games have these days puts mario kart to shame. 

Smash has a lot of content compared to every other fighter on the market. I guess I can understand how you'd say there's little depth, if all you've played of smash is 4-player matches with items and stage hazards, but the games presence at EVO is pretty much all the proof you need that it has a great deal of depth.  I'd recommend you take a look at the Smash boards and My Smash Corner on YouTube. Things can can pretty complex if you really wanna be good.

Hiku said:
HylianYoshi said:
Not completely awful.

Not aweful at all. If 61 around aweful, then you're not using the full scale of the scoring system.
61 is supposed to represent slightly above average/mixed.

Just seems like a game you should read up on before deciding to buy.

Well yeah, but we know that reviewers don't use the full scale of the scoring system as such. The average game is rated ~65 I believe, so that would make Mario Tennis worse than average. This is why Metacritic classifies everything below 75 as "Mixed" for gaming, because of the score inflation.

I very seriously doubt that it's a bad game by any measure whatever. It's made by Camelot, and they are known for good games, with very solid game mechanics. I just think people are giving it mediocre review scores because they expect the game to "do more" or "be more" than it is. And they're attacking it for not being a "AAA" holiday release.

I'm not really sure what the fuck they would expect though. It's Mario. And it's Tennis.

Mr Puggsly said:

Some genres get attacked for a short campaign or no campaign. Multiplayer only games are treated as criminal. Some games without multiplayer also a bad deal.

Few modes and bunch of recycled tracks in Mario Kart though. Perfect score!

It doesn't have a perfect score, and if you actually read the reviews that's generally the reason why points were taken. And yeah, obviously the review system is flawed, but not in this case as MK8 is clearly better than Ultra Smash, and content is a much more important factor for Tennis games as their gameplay inherently isn't very deep.