By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Star Fox Zero looks better now

Thoughts?

Yes it looks better 211 58.94%

Nah it looks the same 100 27.93%

STF and do a barrell roll! 47 13.13%

Total:358

Star Fox 64 looked better. You Nintendo fans are addicted to graphics. Miyamoto would be dissapointed.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:
illdill1987 said:

Yeah and it didnt look nearly as good

Look again.  The trailer is using the same assets just with elaborate camera angles and scripted events.  Your eyes are being deceived by clever cinematography.

Alright I looked again.. I think the gameplay they showed looked worse. Maybe I am wrong but are you telling me that the cutscenes they were showing in the trailer are actual game engine graphics? I hope you are right but I just don't think so at this point gotta see more of the game.

illdill1987 said:
Nuvendil said:

Look again.  The trailer is using the same assets just with elaborate camera angles and scripted events.  Your eyes are being deceived by clever cinematography.

Alright I looked again.. I think the gameplay they showed looked worse. Maybe I am wrong but are you telling me that the cutscenes they were showing in the trailer are actual game engine graphics? I hope you are right but I just don't think so at this point gotta see more of the game.

As far as I can tell, yes, it's the same assets.  But remember, scripted trailers always pick the best, most impressive angles.  Especially ones like this that are supposed to be dynamic, action packed cut scenes.  Many games do this.  I mean, if it were a pre-rendered CG trailer, I would think they would have put more detail in.  Like grass meshes, higher res textures, more spectacular effects, higher poly models, etc.  The only other difference I can see is maybe the lighting, which was likely adjusted to help with the fact the camera is zipping around in ways it won't in game.

JustBeingReal said:

The game's rendering a wide field of view to the main screen and then taking a portion of that data to reproduce on the gamepad, simple!

It could be a far left or right section of the overall, but there's definitely no need for the engine to have to render one 720p and another 480p image, think of it like a PC multi-monitor deal or rather like a wrap around screen, only in the instances where the main screen image is pointing far off to one side, the gamepad portion is just on the opposite side, with zoomed in, with the cockpit pillars rendered in the front of that image.

720p, with wide field of view is what this is, never 720p+480p. It doesn't require any extra rendering of assets, accept for a slightly tighter LOD on the gamepad because the cockpit would physically be closer to the environment in front of the Arwing, Landmaster or whatever craft the player's controlling.

Of course a developer can control what data their game will have to render, because they control how the camera's programmed to work for the player.

It is not that simple.

Say the Gamepad is aimed almost straight downwards while the Arwing flies straight ahead at considerable altitude, as seen in the Treehouse gameplay. The top-down view on the Gamepad is rendering things that don't even appear on the main screen, and even if they did, the angle is completely different, (top down instead of straight ahead) so it's impossible for it to just be the same view zoomed in.

Same goes for if you were to aim to the far left to far right while flying straight ahead, the different camera angle would not only show things not visible on the main display, but also from a different angle.

curl-6 said:
JustBeingReal said:

The game's rendering a wide field of view to the main screen and then taking a portion of that data to reproduce on the gamepad, simple!

It could be a far left or right section of the overall, but there's definitely no need for the engine to have to render one 720p and another 480p image, think of it like a PC multi-monitor deal or rather like a wrap around screen, only in the instances where the main screen image is pointing far off to one side, the gamepad portion is just on the opposite side, with zoomed in, with the cockpit pillars rendered in the front of that image.

720p, with wide field of view is what this is, never 720p+480p. It doesn't require any extra rendering of assets, accept for a slightly tighter LOD on the gamepad because the cockpit would physically be closer to the environment in front of the Arwing, Landmaster or whatever craft the player's controlling.

Of course a developer can control what data their game will have to render, because they control how the camera's programmed to work for the player.

It is not that simple.

Say the Gamepad is aimed almost straight downwards while the Arwing flies straight ahead at considerable altitude, as seen in the Treehouse gameplay. The top-down view on the Gamepad is rendering things that don't even appear on the main screen, and even if they did, the angle is completely different, (top down instead of straight ahead) so it's impossible for it to just be the same view zoomed in.

Same goes for if you were to aim to the far left to far right while flying straight ahead, the different camera angle would not only show things not visible on the main display, but also from a different angle.

It is that simple, you're definitely overcomplicating this, beyond what is actually happening.

The gamepad is the cockpit, that cockpit cannot let the player see an external view of the craft, from a birdseye view locking down at the craft, because the cockpit is inside of the Arwing. The gamepad is the view through fox's eyes (unless the role of image output is reversed with the camera being on the Gamepad and Cockpit being on the TV), so when he's inside of the craft he's never going to be able to see anything besides what he can view through the glass of the cockpit, the camera has limitations, everything you see is connected, across both the TV output and Gamepad images.

The gamepad follows the same limitations of viewing angle that any pilot would have in real life, the main screen and gamepad don't have completely different perspectives, in the sense of one being truly unbound from the other, when the two are on opposing sides of view they're still always a part of the same image.

The Gamepad has never been shown using a top down view of the the craft or surrounding environment, so I really don't get where you're getting this idea from, because that's never been shown in any of the Nintendo Directs. The angles can definitely be extreme and rendered within the same image pass, as a developer you're representing an image in 3D space.

Think of this like a multimonitor set-up.

Around the Network

That video is not actual gameplay.

I think the improvement shown is what you'd expect from a game that's been given some extra months for polish. The lighting is different, and textures seem to be more detailed. For a game running at 60 FPS on two screens, one of them at 1080p. Especially since this game seems to have large environments with lots of enemies.

Love and tolerate.

Salnax said:
I think the improvement shown is what you'd expect from a game that's been given some extra months for polish. The lighting is different, and textures seem to be more detailed. For a game running at 60 FPS on two screens, one of them at 1080p. Especially since this game seems to have large environments with lots of enemies.

None of the images being rendered are at 1080p, the main screen is 1280X720 and the gamepad 854X480, also while the gamepad is outputting the cockpit image, it's a portion of one image, spread across both your TV and the gamepad, since the gamepad represents cockpit view, that's always a portion of the whole field of view of the game.

Think about it like a wide field of view.

Visually it's looking nice now, compared to the E3 trailers and gameplay shown, but the environments aren't big, even in the all range sections.

It's a linear style of game, but the improvements to the textures, lighting, etc have made it a better looking game for sure than what was shown before.

There's some new gameplay footage here.

Who cares? The real question is how good does it play? Does it capture the essence of the previous games? That's what I want to know.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)