By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 1080p standard needs to stop.

1080p or 60 frames?

Without 1080p games arent playable 90 23.62%

Without 60 frames games arent playable 154 40.42%

Both (PC Master Race) 137 35.96%

Total:381

I disagree, 1080p should be the standard. There are plenty of games that run well at that resolution on PS4, and they play well with 30fps. One game or a couple doesn't mean there needs to be a change.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Around the Network
sabvre42 said:
Azzanation said:

You know what's funny?

You seem to think the xb1 is the only console that can upgrade drive speed (and overcharge for it). I paid less to swap my ps4 hdd to a 1tb 7200rpm sshd than Microsoft charges (above the lower tier) for their overpriced model.

I could also go pure ssd if I wanted. 

You know what's funny?

You're acting like you have to buy some Microsoft branded HDD for the x1. Sorry, but you can plug in any brand you want, I'm not even sure there is an xbox branded one, and if there is, who cares, you get whatever you want. 

Even a pure ssd one.

It depends on the game, and to say framerate is sacrificed when a game is 1080p is completely ignorant and idiotic.

1) Framerate is often tied to how fast the CPU is, and these consoles have a dis-proportionally weak CPU with regards to their GPU (When compared to previous gens). Just because it is 1080p 30 FPS, does not mean it would have been 60 FPS at a lower resolution.

2) The PS4 at the very least is MORE than capable of running all games out now in 1080p. The problem is EA and Ubisoft are often sacrificing res for more effects. Imo this is a nonsensical trade-off since 1080p is often required to see the fine details of these effects. It should be: 1) make it 1080p, 2) see what effects you can squeeze in afterwards.

3) Some games like Until Dawn have no need for 60 FPS. To say "Every" game should have this is silly.

Overall it should be:

Step 1: Make the game 1080p (NO EXCUSES)

Step 2: If 60 FPS would help (In most games it would), get it 60 FPS.

Step 3: Add extra effects, AI, and Physics until you can no longer get 60 FPS - and then stop.

The problem is they are doing things in literally the opposite order since engines and aspirations are decided first and then bog down the game. It would be nice if they could find a way to set limits and projections ahead of time without stifling ambition and creativity.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Last gen graphics and lazy devolopers need to stop, that is the problem of fallout 4 on all platforms. MGS5 has better graphics than F4 and it runs @1080p 60fps on everything. 

1080p30 is fine. Upscaling softness should be a thing of the past. It was acceptable on CRT tvs and monitors, with LCD it has always been a pita. Of course devs have plenty other ways to soften the image unfortunately, fxaa, temporal aa, low texture filtering, bad full screen motion blur, bad dof and low res smoke effects. Tone down the complexity first instead of the resolution or image quality. But of course the complaining about games not looking next gen enough is just as loud.

When I play on PC, native display res is priority one, then lowering detail to achieve a solid frame rate. Which is way more effective and looks better than going slightly below native display res. I rather have an option to disable dof, motion blur and temporal AA in console games.

Actually 1080p is getting too low already. DriveClub bikes in first person mode is a lot harder than it should be. Switching to 3rd person makes it much easier yet a lot less fun. 1080p doesn't resolve enough detail while looking at a shallow angle at the road to get the required overview of upcoming corners.
Maybe next gen can do things smarter. Resolve what's important in 4K, let the sides that are hidden by motion blur render at quarter res.

Around the Network
Justagamer said:
sabvre42 said:

You know what's funny?

You seem to think the xb1 is the only console that can upgrade drive speed (and overcharge for it). I paid less to swap my ps4 hdd to a 1tb 7200rpm sshd than Microsoft charges (above the lower tier) for their overpriced model.

I could also go pure ssd if I wanted. 

You know what's funny?

You're acting like you have to buy some Microsoft branded HDD for the x1. Sorry, but you can plug in any brand you want, I'm not even sure there is an xbox branded one, and if there is, who cares, you get whatever you want. 

Even a pure ssd one.

Not an internal one.  Go ahead and use any external drive you want, but that doesn't cause the same performance gains you seem to think it does.

API calls, OS calls, background processes, etc are all loaded off the OS install. The OS install is NOT on your external hard drive. If you want to see true performance gains outside of load times -- it needs to be an internal drive. Sorry.

CORRECTION: I guess i did buy a 5600rpm 18 months ago. 7200rpm SSHD 2.5" drives are quite a bit more expensive.

KingofTrolls said:
NobleTeam360 said:

I think developers should stop caring about getting 1080p and focus on 60fps instead. 

Video games's market says no - average consumer prefers graphics over fps, if we talk about +-30 FPS.

Devs should ignore what a the few want and just focus on making good games. I'm sure I could say the vast majority of gamers don't give a damn about 1080p.

for first person shooters 60fps at 720p is fine... but for other types of games 1080p all the way.

Didn't the last of us run full 1080p 60fps on PS4 though?

Maybe it's because I have a Wii U rather than a PS4 and XOne, but I always cared more about the frame rate rather than the resolution

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]