By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 1080p standard needs to stop.

1080p or 60 frames?

Without 1080p games arent playable 90 23.62%

Without 60 frames games arent playable 154 40.42%

Both (PC Master Race) 137 35.96%

Total:381
NobleTeam360 said:

I think developers should stop caring about getting 1080p and focus on 60fps instead. 

Video games's market says no - average consumer prefers graphics over fps, if we talk about +-30 FPS.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
LivingMetal said:

No it doesn't.  It just doesn't.  Your argument = flawed is a MAJOR way.  All games are developed differently. All games were made to run differently.  All hardware runs differently.  And no developer is being forced to render a game at 1080p.  The technology is there for both consumer and developer.  You push it, you force the advancement of technology.  You can hook up a PC to a 4K TV and get amazing results.  Of course you don't have to hook up a PC to a 4K TV, but you complain about the "effects" of 1080p yet you claim it made your decision to go with PC.  As an old school gamer, I've seen console wars founght since the Atari 2600.  And all this is is that you opted for the PC version because you would have preferred playing on the Xbox One, but it's clear that the PS4 version trump this one as usual.  And I might create sawed off poll just for the hell of it, but your poll is just daft.

You have completely missed the point of this article. For one the PS4 doesnt trump anything, it has its own issues it needs to deal with just as much as the XB1's version. If you havent seen the X1's frame rate test after DF installed it on a SSD hard drive, the frame rate differences are minor and even then the PS4 suffers heavly in combat affected areas when effects start flying around as seen in the below link at 3:58mins. That is not what i call trumping anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPZXkdD1RwQ

And just to top off your defensive argument, here is a link below of the frame rate tests for both consoles running X1's version of the game on a SSD and again barely any difference between the 2 versions and also fixed the stutters heavly affecting the X1 game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB8ZyFt-LHc

Back on topic, both consoles struggle running Fallout 4 at a solid 30 frames, but as long as the devs achieve there 1080p it seems as if no one cares. Sorry i am a PC gamer who owns both consoles and i am skipping another 3rd party game because i am not dealing with these dumb decisions for a Dev to think its ok to focus on the wrong parts of the game. I would love to play FO4 or any 3rd party games with my mates on consoles but not when they do this. I brought my consoles for fun not so they can be a half-assed PC's trying to do things they cant.

No, I've been around the block several times thoughout my on-and-off gaming life.  I'm on point.

I'd much rather have 1080p than 60FPS OP. You know that not everyone can tell the difference between 30 and 60FPS unless they're put next to each other, right? But the difference between 1080p and 900 is night and day to me.

Of course this isn't really an issue for me because have a gaming PC that can run everything at 1080p and 60FPS and I use it exclusively to play 70s and 80s arcade games on an emulator. But I thought I'd give my ¥2

The NX will be able to run things at 20K.

JWeinCom said:
The NX will be able to run things at 20K.

Pixels? Sure!

Around the Network

It depends on the type of game. If it's a fast paced game where the ability to react quickly is very important, such as fighting games or the fast paced hack and slash title like Devil May Cry, then 60 FPS is a must. On the other hand, if it isn't, then 30 FPS doesn't particularly bother me, and I'd probably take the upscaled resolution.

Honestly, though, a lack of 1080p isn't something I find all that annoying. If I had to pick one or the other, I'd much rather every game produced this gen run at 60 FPS than 1080p.

You made lots of bold claims there. Before I properly respond as I need to go to work I'll just say.

Infamous Second Son
Metal Gear Solid V

It's all about the developer.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Well, neither the xb1 nor the ps4 has 1080p forced on devs, I have no clue what you are talking about.... Second, you have to see what each game is trying to achieve, so far on ps4 very few games did not hold their intended taget , be it 30 or 60 fps, at their choosen resolution (95% or more must be 1080p) those few with real performance problems may have hit another bottle neck (hence lowering the resolution may not help much, unless they also wanted to add more details while at it). The xb1 on the other hand has proven more problematic, games that are at 1080p on it often sacrifice aa have more drops (see rise of the thomb raider)... Some devs even havento go as low as 720p to hit their desired performance envelope... Not often, but it happens... Ideally any game with quick action should be 60fps, I 'm all for games that look like unchrted 3 in the UC collection on ps4 if they all ran at a steady 60fps.... But using a lot of physics objects may cause other problems and force the game to be run at 30, no matter the resolution!

I was going to buy Fallout 4 on consoles but after seeing that both consoles struggle to keep it at 30 it ended my decision very quickly and PC it is for me.

Lol, no you weren't .

OP: There are literally only a handful of games which are below 1080P ( Of which most are from DICE ) on PS4 and almost all of the 1080P games run great. I don't see why 1080P shouldn't be the standard this generation.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Abun said:
Nem said:
I agree. Ibwill take a hit on resolution for better FPS anyday. Even 720p. Got no problem with it, if it nets me a high FPS.

Gameplay > Graphics.

Gameplay has nothing to do with rsolution or fps though.Gameplay is all about controls and design,both of which FO fails at no matter the fps.I prefer resolution as 30fps from a finely crafted game is enough and the fps is stable.

If thats what you think... you aren't a very good gamer.

FPS has everything to do with gameplay smoothness and responsiveness.