By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why isn't motion controlled gaming still a big deal?

d21lewis said:

Cut the op some slack. He probably had a great idea for a thread and just rushed the opening because he wanted to post it on Vgchartz and then spend time with his girlfriend who just got home from work

No OP is a despicable human being who makes trash threads

:P

geez mods I'm joking don't ban me

For what it's worth I doubt the discussion would have been much more focused if the first post had been more detailed. Most people only read the title anyway.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
midrange said:
zorg1000 said:

Kinect sold 24 million from Nov 2010-Feb 2013, Playstation Move sold 15 million from Sept 2010-Dec 2012 and Wii sold 24 million from Sept 2010-March 2013 so over the course of 2-2.5 years motion based devices sold 50+ million.

Basically motion based gaming was still going pretty strong through the end of 2012 and the next-gen version didn't do enough to convince consumers to spend another $300-500 for a new device. Nintendo made so many mistakes with Wii U that u can't simply blame it's sales on people getting bored of motion controls, Xbox One with Kinect 2.0 launched for $500 and released a mere 3 years after the original Kinect.

I'm more interested in the yearly kinect, ps move, and wii sales from 2010, 2011, and 2012. Grouping them as a unit doesn't work if the transition I'm talking about occurs (and ends) during those 3 years. 

The xbox one + kinect launched for $500. After a year, the kinect was separated and is priced at around $100. The fact that most xbox one owners haven't bought the kinect leads me to believe that most of them have gotten bored of motion controls. 

People have gotten bored of motion controls, plain and simple. You could say that it happened because companies made more "hardcore" games that don't work well with motion control (Assassin's creed, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Skyrim, Fallout), but at the same time you could also say that companies saw the waning interest in motion control and shifted priorities.

Wii FY 2011-15 million, FY 2012-10 million, FY 2013-4 million

Kinect, 10 million as of March 2011. 19 million as of May 2012. 24 million as of February 2013.

PS Move, 4.1 million as of Nov 2010. 10.5 million as of March 2012. 15 million as of November 2012.

Yes Kinect was unbundled but it still required an extra $35-400 purchase so the cost of Kinect has still been $450-500 this generation.

So late 2010-2011 saw 29.1 million total motion controlled devices sold. 2012 saw about 25.4 million motion controlled devices sold. 2013 saw about 13.5 million motion controlled devices sold. Seems pretty clear that the early start of the decade was part of a downward trend in motion controls.

Kinect was unbundled, but I'm not measuring it's performance relative to its predecessor, I'm measuring it based on attach rate to those who already own an xbox one (i.e. the people that don't have to spend the extra $400). The ps move can be done similarly with the ps4 install base. Basically, we see that the attach rates are pretty low, which makes sense if people have lost interest in them.

They're actually fun and the kinect accurately follows your body but the games aren't addicting enough for playing with friends longer just like every other multiplayer games(using normal controllers). The difference is it is more akward to or most people will not dare play with motion controllers too much unlike multiplayer games that use normal controllers.

because it mostly sucked.

Because most of us just want to relax when we're playing games, not get exercise.

Around the Network

VR will bring back motion controls, being able to see your own hands in the VR world makes all the difference.

Now weather VR will take off thats another question, but if it does, the motion revolution will return.

midrange said:
zorg1000 said:
midrange said:
zorg1000 said:

Kinect sold 24 million from Nov 2010-Feb 2013, Playstation Move sold 15 million from Sept 2010-Dec 2012 and Wii sold 24 million from Sept 2010-March 2013 so over the course of 2-2.5 years motion based devices sold 50+ million.

Basically motion based gaming was still going pretty strong through the end of 2012 and the next-gen version didn't do enough to convince consumers to spend another $300-500 for a new device. Nintendo made so many mistakes with Wii U that u can't simply blame it's sales on people getting bored of motion controls, Xbox One with Kinect 2.0 launched for $500 and released a mere 3 years after the original Kinect.

I'm more interested in the yearly kinect, ps move, and wii sales from 2010, 2011, and 2012. Grouping them as a unit doesn't work if the transition I'm talking about occurs (and ends) during those 3 years. 

The xbox one + kinect launched for $500. After a year, the kinect was separated and is priced at around $100. The fact that most xbox one owners haven't bought the kinect leads me to believe that most of them have gotten bored of motion controls. 

People have gotten bored of motion controls, plain and simple. You could say that it happened because companies made more "hardcore" games that don't work well with motion control (Assassin's creed, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Skyrim, Fallout), but at the same time you could also say that companies saw the waning interest in motion control and shifted priorities.

Wii FY 2011-15 million, FY 2012-10 million, FY 2013-4 million

Kinect, 10 million as of March 2011. 19 million as of May 2012. 24 million as of February 2013.

PS Move, 4.1 million as of Nov 2010. 10.5 million as of March 2012. 15 million as of November 2012.

Yes Kinect was unbundled but it still required an extra $35-400 purchase so the cost of Kinect has still been $450-500 this generation.

So late 2010-2011 saw 29.1 million total motion controlled devices sold. 2012 saw about 25.4 million motion controlled devices sold. 2013 saw about 13.5 million motion controlled devices sold. Seems pretty clear that the early start of the decade was part of a downward trend in motion controls.

Kinect was unbundled, but I'm not measuring it's performance relative to its predecessor, I'm measuring it based on attach rate to those who already own an xbox one (i.e. the people that don't have to spend the extra $400). The ps move can be done similarly with the ps4 install base. Basically, we see that the attach rates are pretty low, which makes sense if people have lost interest in them.

Based on the numbers u gave, late 2010-2011 & 2012 were similar with 2013 showing a large decline, when Wii U was already on the market along with Microsoft significantly cutting down on 360/Kinect support in favor of Xbox One. Did people stop enjoying motion based gaming or did the motion based devices stop being supported?

As for Kinect 2.0 attach rate on Xbox One, all that proves is that the people who bought Wii/Kinect for motion based gaming haven't moved onto Xbox One for one reason or another.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

IamAwsome said:

I honestly don't think developers gave motion control a real chance. Sure the Wii Remote without M+ wasn't the most accurate, but WM+, PS Move, and Kinect were all fairly accurate. The entire industry pretty much bet against the Wii from the very beginning, and I know someone will respond by saying "But look at the industry now. Motion control was a fad!!". iOS, Android, and Windows Phone exploded because people took chances and actually tried to build something. That never happened with motion control. Would mobile be as ubiquitous today if the cell phone industry universally shunned the iPhone when it first came out? Heck no. The same logic applies with motion (and asymetric gameplay/3D/other so called "gimmicks"). Where was the Grand Theft Auto IV PS Move patch? Where was that major hardcore IP from a top western publisher on the Wii? Red Steel sucked, and I can't think of anymore. Why didn't many people support PS Move after people bashed the Wii for being "casual"? Can people REALLY call motion control a fad when 99% of the industry never gave it a real chance in the first place? 

TL;DR: Everyone says motion was a fad, but the industry never gave it a real chance. 

You serious. Just go watch someone play the ports of the RE Umbrella Coronicles on PS move. And tell me all the frustration of missing, because your position isn't read correctly, and needing to recalibrate, an improvement over button pushes. It played worse than the Wiimote. PS move had better tech... Yes, someone playing COD would love to have to put their Wiimote on the floor to re-cal. Because the pointer shifted during your gun fight. People gave it a chance. Rarly did it give anything positive back. By all means. Tell me how Star Wars/Dragonball Z Kinect were amazing.

IamAwsome said:

I honestly don't think developers gave motion control a real chance. Sure the Wii Remote without M+ wasn't the most accurate, but WM+, PS Move, and Kinect were all fairly accurate. The entire industry pretty much bet against the Wii from the very beginning, and I know someone will respond by saying "But look at the industry now. Motion control was a fad!!". iOS, Android, and Windows Phone exploded because people took chances and actually tried to build something. That never happened with motion control. Would mobile be as ubiquitous today if the cell phone industry universally shunned the iPhone when it first came out? Heck no. The same logic applies with motion (and asymetric gameplay/3D/other so called "gimmicks"). Where was the Grand Theft Auto IV PS Move patch? Where was that major hardcore IP from a top western publisher on the Wii? Red Steel sucked, and I can't think of anymore. Why didn't many people support PS Move after people bashed the Wii for being "casual"? Can people REALLY call motion control a fad when 99% of the industry never gave it a real chance in the first place? 

TL;DR: Everyone says motion was a fad, but the industry never gave it a real chance. 

You're kidding right? Motion control was made big because of the support it got from the industry. Just dance, wii sports, and guitar hero were HUGE franchises by some of the biggest publishers (Ubisoft, Activision, Nintendo), that helped sell massive amounts of wii units. Just dance, kinectimals, and dance central helped push out a ton of kinect units. What happened? Consumer interest moved onto call of duty, skyrim, portal, Grand theft auto, assassins creed, and battlefield (i.e. they got bored of motion controls).

Even if these games supported motion controls (the cod franchise supported motion controls during the wii era), people would still lose interest in motion control because these games don't work well with motion controls. There is too much inaccuracy when playing with motion controls to justify motion controls in these games over a traditional controller.

TL;DR: The industry gave it a chance, motion control shined for the beginning of 7th gen, consumer interest faded (which happens for fads), companies moved on

zorg1000 said:
midrange said:

Based on the numbers u gave, late 2010-2011 & 2012 were similar with 2013 showing a large decline, when Wii U was already on the market along with Microsoft significantly cutting down on 360/Kinect support in favor of Xbox One. Did people stop enjoying motion based gaming or did the motion based devices stop being supported?

As for Kinect 2.0 attach rate on Xbox One, all that proves is that the people who bought Wii/Kinect for motion based gaming haven't moved onto Xbox One for one reason or another.

It was a small decline during 2010-2012, but we see that that decline was happening regardless of whether the wii u came out or not. The arrival of next gen only sped up the decline.

You can't claim that people that bought the wii haven't moved on to next gen. Sony's main strategy (as they announced many times) was to lure in the wii crowd. Even if they had moderate success in doing so, we should still expect a very high attach rate of the ps move to ps4 units sold (say 1 to 3). Given that the ps move has not sold as much, we can see that people are no longer interested in motion controls.