By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why isn't motion controlled gaming still a big deal?

The time wasn't ready for it.

Around the Network

One of the biggest problems with motion controls from a practical perspective is that everybody's set up is different and is reliant in large part on how comfortable it is when using the motion controls.

Lube Me Up

When done correctly I loved them, for example, I loved moving the flashlight and the swim movement in Silent Hill Shattered Memories.

In Skyward Sword they over use them, it was ok to slash things, but flying and other stuff? It was jut too much, although the game had worse problems than that, but that is for another topic.

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

midrange said:

Playstation move also didn't take of. And that was very similar to the wii remote.

Most people are done with motion control. Wii sports HD is a HUGE farcry sales wise from the original. VR may very well be the next fad to pop up, but I gaurantee that motion control is no longer as wanted as you think it is.

Most companies know this. This is why Ubisoft shifted their focus from raving rabbids and just dance to assassins creed and far cry. Activision shifted from guitar hero to call of duty and destiny. This transition happened toward the end of last gen, where the wii heavily declined and the xbox and ps3 made huge comebacks.

There is so much to argue here I really don't want to get into it in detail. Let's just agree to disagree. We'll see how things go in the future. 

UncleScrooge said:
midrange said:

Playstation move also didn't take of. And that was very similar to the wii remote.

Most people are done with motion control. Wii sports HD is a HUGE farcry sales wise from the original. VR may very well be the next fad to pop up, but I gaurantee that motion control is no longer as wanted as you think it is.

Most companies know this. This is why Ubisoft shifted their focus from raving rabbids and just dance to assassins creed and far cry. Activision shifted from guitar hero to call of duty and destiny. This transition happened toward the end of last gen, where the wii heavily declined and the xbox and ps3 made huge comebacks.

There is so much to argue here I really don't want to get into it in detail. Let's just agree to disagree. We'll see how things go in the future. 

sure

Around the Network

Well for one, the consumer was sold on an idea that didn't actually exist. Like most tech promises (looking at you hololens) the reality falls so short of the imagination it leaves a bad taste. Initially, it does really well, but the limitations start showing up rather quickly when a concept that the consumer falls in love with doesn't pan out.

Furthermore, the type of gamer wii and kinect targeted were lapsed gamers. People who wanted to relive their childhood. As we know, the games industry is an imperfect one, especially with concept tech like this. The downsides quickly outweigh the upsides. Time wasted playing games, cost of games and tech, lack of expected performance and growth.

The wiiU was a really good idea that was unfortunately crippled by the first party tablet. Some of the ideas were really cool and interesting, but the tablet kept the cost prohibitively high and was a bit cumbersome.

I know you're thinking hey these aren't major problems, these are just annoyances. But when you look at the bigger picture and realize that the competition for the casual audience isn't exactly limited to gaming, but mobile, tablet, pc, and actual games/hobbies.

The reason why systems like ps4 and xb1 can do well is because of the core and hardcore fans. They seek out titles that help them relax, or amaze them in unique ways. These people can be compared to something like movie buffs, or sports fans who have integrated their hobbies into their lives.

People who were out there buying wii and motion controls were in it for far less, and current mobile delivers on those needs without the price barrier.

If Nintendo wants to stay relevant, ie, increase their success, they need to both tap into the core market once again with strong hardware, as well as establish themselves in the mobile arena which they are already doing.

Maybe I'm rambling, so I'll try to say it succinctly:
Motion controls are only a small part of gaming and the transitioning to the casual market was very poorly handled.

midrange said:
UncleScrooge said:

Because Nintendo decided to abandon their most popular control scheme of all time and focus on the gamepad instead. Welcome to the real world: Motion controls were never "a fad", people loved the Wiimote. I've been asked so many times why the Wii U doesn't use motion controls anymore by friends who owned a Wii (and yes, I know you can connect a Wiimote).

Motion controls are as much "a fad" that people "tired from" as 2D Mario was.

motion controls were a fad. If not, people would have moved on to the kinect. Given the kinect's removal from the xbox one, motion control is no longer what it used to be. AKA a fad

Kinect sold 24 million in a little over 2 years, it was extremely popular, people just didn't feel the need to spend another $500 for Kinect 2.0 just a couple years later.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

LOL pretty sure this happened in the 90s as these quotes are from a published book.

So at the time there was only really SEGA and Nintendo slugging it out with Sny emerging.

Because Nintendo stopped doing good motion controlled games.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Like water, gamers will follow the path of least resistance and in the vast majority of cases, it's much easier and accurate to press a button than to use a motion.

Signature goes here!