By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo 5: Guardians sells more than $400 million (games and hardware)

Tagged games:

kowenicki said:
LurkerJ said:

Leaving VGC because of the down-players? No one would've never joined if that was the case. This place has been the same since I stumbled across it forever ago. People come and go, it's just how things go. Some find it easier to leave when their fave system isn't doing so well though

nobody said people left due to downplaying. To deny this forum's quality has fallen dramatically over the last 6 years is amusing.

Yes, I am denying it, and 6 years is a very long time. We used to have more insane users making absurd claims left and right left uncorrected. Moderators were ridiculous and fanboys were left unbanned for too long. I'd like to think members like you left their mark on this place and made it better (I learned a lot reading your posts )

and it's true, we have less discussions about sales but those were almost always moot anyway because they were based on the wildly inaccurate vgc guesstimations, I am actually unhappy the chartz are uptodate and back on track. I was hoping the site would shift its focus away from tracking while keeping the discussions about financial aspect of the video game industry alive. Tracking was never that accurate to begin with, and now digital sales are too big to ignore. At this point, I have no idea what I am trying to say... just come back!

Around the Network

Wow what a thread. I cant believe how much people believe that the $400M was made up massively of microtransactions and controllers. Seriously I can see microtransactions adding $ in the long term, but not the first week. There are 4 of us playing in Halo 5 in my family and we have spent exactly $0.00 on microtransactions.

As for digital download I expect that this is the highest percentage game ever for digital download. MS has had advertisements up on the Xbox One for months about pre-ordering the digital version from your couch. We certainly did that and I don't know anyone who didn't purchase digitally. To have it available at midnight launch without a trip to a store. Certainly a huge amount of day 1 sales were digital.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

whatever the exact numbers are, it's still a lot.

LurkerJ said:
GamechaserBE said:

...:

Ethomaz even in this thread:  

Halo 5 did flopped big now after these PR.

Even more than we expected.

400 million in revenue is a lot, even if it is a lot of bundles/or controllers/micro transactions, it shows that people spend a lot of money for Halo.

I mean the fact that you had to pick ethomaz as an example. The guy is constantly banned for running around the forums with his anti-MS agenda.

There are a lot of valid points raised in this thread alone, Halo 5 is a massive success. But we are used to talking about a single metric here on vgc, how many units has Halo 5 sold? Is it really that annoying for you when people bring up the fact that Halo 5 will probably sell less than any other mainline Halo game?

GT6 has been dragged to hell and back because of the same exact reason. 

What is the point in adding other names if in this thread alone you can find someone who said it?

I don't really care about the units sold*. It is just weird to see people go as 'but because of hardware the units sold must not be great' or microtransactions make it go to 400 million....in the end 400 million is good/great =p.

kowenicki said:
LurkerJ said:

I mean the fact that you had to pick ethomaz as an example. The guy is constantly banned for running around the forums with his anti-MS agenda.

There are a lot of valid points raised in this thread alone, Halo 5 is a massive success. But we are used to talking about a single metric here on vgc, how many units has Halo 5 sold? Is it really that annoying for you when people bring up the fact that Halo 5 will probably sell less than any other mainline Halo game?

GT6 has been dragged to hell and back because of the same exact reason. 

has Microsoft ever released unit sales for the first week of any halo? They have always talked about income generated as far as I recall.

I have no idea, and I doubt anybody cares outside of VGC. I've come to accept that numbers are tended to differently here, The PS3 was a clossal failure, yet,  it was constantly celebrated for the number of units it sold

I kinda get why people are claiming MS is "spinning", even though, they are not. Everyone is just too fixated on the importance of the number of units sold. World of Warcraft is generating more revenues but the discussion revolved around the number of subscribers it "bled", and so on.

Around the Network

I know everyone wants to know how many units it sold. (me too) But to discount all revenue sources, specifically microtransactions, comes off as short sighted.

Wasn't there a post recently where EA stated that it makes more money off DLC for their games, than the actual games sales numbers.

Microtransactions, and DLC will start to become a more relevant number to the overall sales of a game, as these also tend to help give a game legs.

Also, Didn't the Taken King kill it digitally on the Sony storefront? Also explains it's lower than expected NPD numbers.

Barozi said:
whatever the exact numbers are, it's still a lot.

And that should the take-home point. It didn't FLOP.

kowenicki said:
LurkerJ said:

Leaving VGC because of the down-players? No one would've never joined if that was the case. This place has been the same since I stumbled across it forever ago. People come and go, it's just how things go. Some find it easier to leave when their fave system isn't doing so well though

nobody said people left due to downplaying. To deny this forum's quality has fallen dramatically over the last 6 years is amusing.

Wait, what??? Over the last 6 years, so you are saying that the quality of this forum started to fall right after the $300 PS3 Slim?? Righr when PS3 started thier come back???

Wow I guess you can't please everyone.. This is good for the industry

These responses in the thread are amazing. I mean, it's Halo. Of course it did very well.