By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - UK: Halo 5 is the Lowest Selling Mainline Game in Franchise History

It being lower than ODST is kinda surprising, but everyone knows that Halo isn't as big as it was. With the X1 being a shell of 360 in the UK, it's not very surprising.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
bevochan said:
I doubt Halo 5 will surpass 5 million lifetime total unless Halo 5 is heavily bundled. The UK and the US are somewhat xbox centric in their sales (was heavily toward xbox360). However, Halo 5 may be the worst selling Halo game in the UK and US. Everywhere else, the xbox1 console has a very little user base, so Halo 5 may not outsell Halo 3 ODST globally.

What? It will do atleast 2.5 million weeks 1 including digital. And it's legs will be good cause for one thing it has the best mp of any halo game, and 2 it's early in the gen. It will probably do 5 million by the end of the year.

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

twintail said:
Cloudman said:
Well, it sold more than 3 Halo games on the list, so it's not all bad.

It sold more than an console RTS spin off, a remake of 1, and a collection release.

That is hardly anything to be proud of.

But this is just for the UK, we should wait for US sales. But MS seems pretty quiet on that front so far so who knows. 

I tend to look on the brighter side of things than the latter. It isn't all bad, so that is good to me x )

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Actually, none of those numbers factor in digital which more people buy this gen than ever before. Hell, I don't think even Halo 3 had an option to buy digitally like this gen when it launched

First, a lot of the blame falls on the Xbox One rather than directly on Halo 5. Many of the consumers in the market for a home console have either bought a PS4 already or they're leaning in that direction because it's the clear market leader.

There is also the fact that the Halo occupies a space that is rather crowded. There are plenty of other popular choices for multi-player shooters out there.

However, I think a lot of the responsibility does fall on Halo 5. I noted months ago that the videos for Halo 5 were nowhere near as epic or inspiring as Halo 4. I think the switch in narrative resulted in a loss of mystique for the series. Nothing shown before launch really pulled people in and made them care, beyond the normal, "it's another Halo game," impetus. There is kind of a been-there-done-that vibe and it doesn't feel particularly important.

If they want the franchise to regain some luster, the next game probably needs to be a lot more epic in one way or another. Right now, it's in that, "the adventure continues," area.

Around the Network

If the game sold worse than any other mainline halo in UK, it's pretty safe to assume the decline happened in all Europe territories considering xb1 userbase elsewhere except US. Don't see this game reaching 10m unless it's heavily bundle for the rest of the gen. 8m is my prediction.

pokoko said:
First, a lot of the blame falls on the Xbox One rather than directly on Halo 5. Many of the consumers in the market for a home console have either bought a PS4 already or they're leaning in that direction because it's the clear market leader.

There is also the fact that the Halo occupies a space that is rather crowded. There are plenty of other popular choices for multi-player shooters out there.

However, I think a lot of the responsibility does fall on Halo 5. I noted months ago that the videos for Halo 5 were nowhere near as epic or inspiring as Halo 4. I think the switch in narrative resulted in a loss of mystique for the series. Nothing shown before launch really pulled people in and made them care, beyond the normal, "it's another Halo game," impetus. There is kind of a been-there-done-that vibe and it doesn't feel particularly important.

If they want the franchise to regain some luster, the next game probably needs to be a lot more epic in one way or another. Right now, it's in that, "the adventure continues," area.

Jesus, wrong.  Yes The XBO not having the install base of course hurts, but these are just UK numbers and were expected to be pretty low.  Don't even know how accurate they are either.  Holidays are coming so the game will continue to sell do fine.

Nothing wrong with Halo 5.  In fact many were excited for the narrative the ads were showing.  I was looking forward to it a lot and thought it would be much better than Halo 4's campaign.  But the ads shown and the actual story were pretty damn different from what you were expecting, and more of in a bad way.   But the multiplayer is far better than I could have hoped for.  Forge mode and Big Team Battle are also coming soon so there will still be big updates to keep people playing, along with free maps. 

Leave it to the Destiny lover to make this thread with this title haha

How does that compare to others releases this year or this generation?

And how can they be that fast and that accurated?

If this doesn't sell well, it will effect the development budget for future Halos. We might even see a reduction within 343 industries.

Day One digital, because of pre-loading. We all know how horrendous it is installing Xbone games. I'm sure many people pre-loaded a week ahead to bypass this poor design. 😉 It's all part of M$es plan towards an all digital future, making disc installs unbearable. 😆

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence