By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Ireland plans to decriminalise the possession of small amounts of drugs, including heroin, cocaine and cannabis

Why Ireland, you should ban drugs not legalize them.

But if I get this straight possessing, using and buying drugs isn´t a problem but manufacturing and selling them is )Like the Dutch opiumlaw). Why increase the ask for drugs in the first place since it will undoubtedly lead to more manufacturing and selling of drugs. So the idiot who thinks the legalisation of (hard)drugs is a good idea, are you high or something.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network
Immersiveunreality said:
Good.
Youth that uses small amounts of drugs should never be treated and punisched like criminals as that just doesnt help,it only helps making them future criminals .
Let us guide our youngsters in the right direction,and lets look at what caused the druguse instead of thinking it started with the drugs.

This. We should try to prevent things happening instead of waiting for them to happen. 

Cannabis I can understand but Cocaine and Heroin?... Ain't those two really bad and doesn't actually provide any benefits?

tiffac said:
Cannabis I can understand but Cocaine and Heroin?... Ain't those two really bad and doesn't actually provide any benefits?

Decriminalisation =/= "we really think this a great thing"

This move is a simple calculation of police hours and jail costs saved, and health improvements due to current users becoming trackable and using in safe environments, and reduction in organised crime vs the benefits of it being illegal.

Soleron said:
tiffac said:

This move is a simple calculation of police hours and jail costs saved, and health improvements due to current users becoming trackable and using in safe environments, and reduction in organised crime vs the benefits of it being illegal.

So its big government trying to save money at the expense of its citizens?!

These politicians really need to be on minimum freaking wages. -_-

Around the Network

In theory it makes sense, lets see how it pans out though.

tiffac said:
Soleron said:

Would love to see this and have said this many times irl. Our Taoiseach (prime minister) gets paid more than Obama. 

The War on Drugs was and continues to be a colossal failure. Good on Ireland! Trying a new strategy is long, long overdue.

So they are going to allow people to have the drugs being legal... but not question in the slightest where the drugs are coming from? Unless they make dealing drugs legal too this is just idiotic.

Would be like trying to legalize shooting people with guns, but keeping gun ownership/handling/selling/buying illegal.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

tiffac said:
Soleron said:

Personally I consider saving money and giving people choices - even bad choices - a good thing.

Also, politicians and civil servants are indeed massively underpaid compared to the equivalent positions of responsibility in businesses. So it's no wonder we get incompetent people who are out of their depth. Countries that pay civil servants appropriately (Singapore) have much better run services.