By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Ireland plans to decriminalise the possession of small amounts of drugs, including heroin, cocaine and cannabis

This isn't a plan to legalise drugs, I think this is to help addicts. People who can't help themselves and will commit crimes to get money for drugs. Rather than locking them up in prison or a jail cell overnight and perpetuating the criminal cycle, it's designed for them to satisfy their addiction in a controlled way. They'll no doubt also give these people the help they need to get off the drugs.

Around the Network
oodles2do said:
This isn't a plan to legalise drugs, I think this is to help addicts. People who can't help themselves and will commit crimes to get money for drugs.

How will that stop people trying to get money for drugs? Unless they plan on free hand outs, they will still do crfime to fund their need of drugs and allowing it to be legal will on fuel that.

Cannabis sure but hard drugs like heroin and cocaine WTF.

betacon said:
oodles2do said:
This isn't a plan to legalise drugs, I think this is to help addicts. People who can't help themselves and will commit crimes to get money for drugs.

How will that stop people trying to get money for drugs? Unless they plan on free hand outs, they will still do crfime to fund their need of drugs and allowing it to be legal will on fuel that.

Cannabis sure but hard drugs like heroin and cocaine WTF.

It's a difficult area for governments to try and deal with, because yes, if you make it legal then people will abuse it and kill themselves taking drugs. But if you have someone is trying to get off hard drugs but is finding it difficult, is putting them in prison for having a small amount on them going to deal with the issue? Of course if they have drug dealer quantities then their intent is to sell it and they need to be punished accordingly.

I think it's the right thing to do to try and help people get off the drugs and get them into a job and have hobbies like the rest of society, get out of the cycle of committing crime to fuel their addiction. And if that means not sending people with small amounts of drugs on them to prison, but give them help instead then that's probably the right way to do it. But we'll see if it actually works.

EDIT: Did you read the rest of what I said, other than what you quoted?

Most of us are too busy drinking to take any drugs but sure if they are legalising it, I'll try to fit it in.

Meanwhile this is a country which bans smoking in bars. Common sense and cultural tradition going down the drain.

Around the Network
LemonSlice said:
Meanwhile this is a country which bans smoking in bars. Common sense and cultural tradition going down the drain.

I take issue with that..... We never had common sense! 

zero129 said:
Being from Ireland im all for this. This war on Drugs has more young people in prisons then then hardened criminals. Its a waste of tax payers money and every country that has done this so far has been better off for it. Crime rate goes down, More money comes in, Garda are free to go after the real criminals.

They have more important things to deal with than criminals, such as the money vans.... 

But yes, you are right. Past employee in our business is now in narcotics division in stab-city. 

This is probably a good thing. It's worked in some major cities but only it done right. Where are the drug clinics? Where are they opening the injection rooms? If it's the city centre then it still does a lot of damage because the place will be filled with addicts. All this
ne
eds to be out in the suburbs.

Good, now when I'm bar hopping and light up a joint in between bars (usually in Kilkenny) I won't be as worried. I don't mess with heroine and I don't do yack anymore.

I'm just a dude from Philly living in Ireland. 

If this forms part of a properly integrated approach to dealing with drug addiction, including addiction to alcohol, it is a very good thing.

The addicts, by and large, are victims and should be helped to deal with their addiction rather than be treated like criminals.

Injecting rooms is also a very progressive idea. If people are using drugs and injecting in public places where discarded needles present a danger to the public at large, if they are using impure product or dirty needles, then the provision of injecting rooms makes perfect sense. Addicts will be given a clinically safe environment and will be amenable to professional help for their addiction.

As an Irish person I am surprised and pleased by the thoughtfulness that underpins this proposal.