By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii U has outsold the SEGA Dreamcast

WiiU beating a Sega... Hmm, nice blast... from the past.

Around the Network

Finally

But, if you put them side by side, I'm pretty sure by 2001, the Dreamcast sold more during it's two years on the market. Right?

Lol Wii U will not outsell the GCN....Unless Nintendo sell it for $50US...

alabtrosMyster said:

However the Dreamcast did this within about 24 months! (It was the fastest selling console ever until the ps2 showed up...)

The dreamcast was only a failure because at this point Sega had run out of funds to fight Sony and Nintendo... But it did great while it was there!

Just after being discontinued, the machine had sold 9.13 million units, three years after its release in Japan and two in the United States. I honestly don't know which console sold faster, because the Wii U launched practically worldwide in the same time frame, but the difference isn't that big.

EDIT: I'm incorrect. The Dreamcast was available in the market for two and a half years in Japan and one and a half in the United States. Six months of difference is quite a lot.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network
MegaDrive08 said:

Im sure a lot of Dreamcasts were sold dirt cheap not the price that the WiiU is.

In the USA the Dreamcast launched on September 9, 1999 for $199 USD (then to $149, $99, $79 and..)

2 years, 2 months, 2 weeks later on November 21, 2001 Sega lowered the Dreamcast price to $49 USD. - source

In the USA the Wii U launched  on November 18, 2012 for $349 for the most popular model,

Today in the USA at 2 years, 11 months, 2 weeks into the Wii U life cycle the console is $299 USD.

Not really, WiiU outsold Dreamcast like 9 months ago

Guitarguy said:
Lol Wii U will not outsell the GCN....Unless Nintendo sell it for $50US...

Actully.. if WiiU was 99$ bundled with 3 AAA games.... i'm pretty sure it would... go crazy.... :)

But back to the real world.. You dont know anything about that.. If it gets more games like SMM an splatoon.. Better bundles/price.. If it gets (wii like) hacked

Other things like an app.. WiiU smart tv.. Services.. better PR..  (just like last gen.. nothing is set in stone)

And how long Nintendo will keep it on the market..  And dont say that NX will be out soon and WiiU will die.. Nobody knows that.. Not even what it is.. how you controll.. and if it actully would benefit WiiU sales..

So.. You should still remember the litle "I think".. :)

Yes, well, it was important for Wii U to get past that low point. But one can hardly congratulate Nintendo for selling more than the console that killed Sega as a console hardware maker. It's more like breathe a collective sigh of relief.

I wouldn't even congratulate Nintendo for getting past the Gamecube, which may not even happen. As the worst selling Nintendo console of all time, it is not any kind of achievement to sell more than it. Considering expectations going in to the generation (both Nintendo expectations and gamers') getting past the Gamecube should have already happened and it should be N64 at least that is the Wii U's benchmark. I honestly though Wii U would get there, though I think doubt really crept in mid to late last year.

What is impressive is that Nintendo is the only company that can actually make a decent go out of such a low selling console. If PS3 was at Wii U levels this far into the 7th gen Sony would be gone gone gone from the console field. If Xb one was staring down the barrel at Wii U 2014 level LTD sales, MS would be looking for an exit strategy. And let's face it. If MS had insanely and stubbornly stuck to the $499 auto-bundled Kinect model (well $450 now) Wii U level sales is probably where they'd be.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

The numbers from GoNintendo are wrong, BKK from NeoGaf explains the following:

"Sega reported how much inventory they had remaining in their financial report, they only ever manufactured 9.13m units." 

BKK did a great topic on Retro sales where they go into further explanation of the Dreamcast 9.13M unit sales number.  It can found here. - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=981407

Goodnightmoon said:
Not really, WiiU outsold Dreamcast like 9 months ago

The End.