By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Official NX Discussion Thread

zorg1000 said:
Anybody else think it's possible we get a handheld and console that are pretty much the same in terms of hardware?

Something similar to what Apple has with the newest iPod & Apple TV? Both have the same SoC, although I believe Apple TV is at a higher clock rate, and the other main difference is Apple TV has 2gb RAM vs 1gb for iPod.

Is something like this possible for NX handheld and console?

Only if they severely underpower the console or make the handheld extremely expensive. But the handheld device will probably have a 480p screen (maybe even lower) while the home console will render games in 1080p. So it's ok for the handheld to be less powerful, most games will still run on both devices. Just at different resolutions (and maybe at less fps and with reduced graphical effects on the portable device). 

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
Luke888 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

I don't think they need to be more realistic. Its simplicity and and cartoonish style makes them very adaptable.

that's right only for non HD games, plus after about 10 years I think it's kinda appropriate to improve them...

They are used on HD games too: NintendoLand, Wii Party U, Smash Bros., Mario & Sonic olimpics, Mario Kart...

I just think they need more customizations. One thing that frustrates me about Miis in our current generation is how your Miis on Wii U are practically identical to the Wii with notable added, while on 3DS, you can at least unlock headwear to make your Mii feel a bit more personal. I think it would be great if you could unlock things like those, along with T-shirts and other accessories using the discussed reward system for playing games.

I'm still disappointed Pikmin 3 didn't allow an option to replace Pikmin with your Mii's instead. Would make the game more hilarious and dramatic!

I really hope NX home console is more than a "Apple TV".
They need to improve their image amongst the XBox and PS fans.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=209759&page=1#

Around the Network
DélioPT said:

How exactly do they do that though? They can't just make a box around the same power as PS4/XB1 and expect their fans to come crawling to play the same their current console already plays. Making a vastly more powerful console than PS4/XB1 would make it way too expensive and the power wouldn't even be properly used since it would still just be multiplat titles that are on PS4/XB1 coming to it. Nintendo exclusives won't do the trick because it's not like the people who are buying consoles for shooters/open-world/sports games are going to choose NX over PS4/XB1 because of Mario/Donkey Kong/Kirby/etc.

I just don't see how making PS/XB fans the top priority is going to help Nintendo in any way whatsoever.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

DélioPT said:

And why in the hell would they need to do that? First thing Nintendo needs to do is to improve their image amongst the Nintendo fans. If there already are two consoles doing a job, why would you need one more. Essentially it would be exactly what they doing doing with the Wii U, as opposed to Wii, and look where It got Nintendo.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

jason1637 said:

Since your thread was closed, I'll post my thoughts here:

Do you realize that Qualcomm work for the mobile industry with ARM chips, right?

Now, I'm not saying that he/Qualcomm can't be working with AMD and Nintendo to make an APU (after all, AMD is working on an ARM based APU codenamed K12), but an ARM based APU will not be able to compare to a mid range PC, let alone a gaming one.

So either Nintendo will use an ARM based APU for its machines, which is possible (althought I don't like it), or it is as powerful as a gaming PC, but it can't be both things at the same time.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
jason1637 said:

Do you realize that Qualcomm work for the mobile industry with ARM chips, right?

Now, I'm not saying that he/Qualcomm can't be working with AMD and Nintendo to make an APU (after all, AMD is working on an ARM based APU codenamed K12), but an ARM based APU will not be able to compare to a mid range PC, let alone a gaming one.

So either Nintendo will use an ARM based APU for its machines, which is possible (althought I don't like it), or it is as powerful as a gaming PC, but it can't be both things at the same time.

Most likely Nintendo is looking at the most scalable hardware architecture, that is ARM at the moment. However with custom chipsets anything is possible. Nintendo have been working with AMD (technically) ever since Gamecube was in the drawing table, so I'd expect It being Nintedo's number one choice as a partner. AMD likely knows the best how to work around the Nintendo GPU (that would be trickier than CPU), assuming NX would be compatible with Wii U.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

bdbdbd said:
JEMC said:

Most likely Nintendo is looking at the most scalable hardware architecture, that is ARM at the moment. However with custom chipsets anything is possible. Nintendo have been working with AMD (technically) ever since Gamecube was in the drawing table, so I'd expect It being Nintedo's number one choice as a partner. AMD likely knows the best how to work around the Nintendo GPU (that would be trickier than CPU), assuming NX would be compatible with Wii U.

But the problem here is not the GPU, but the CPU.

Sure, ARM processors are scalable and very power efficient, but when it comes to raw power they aren't in the same league as x86 processors. Even the lame Jaguar cores of PS4/X1 are more powerful than most ARM offerings out there. Nope, I'm sorry but if Nintendo decides to go with an ARM processor, the console won't be able to even compete with PS4/X1.

But then, maybe Nintendo doesn't want to compete with PS4/X1. Maybe Nintendo is happy to work with a console in the same ballpark as Wii U with some tweaks (a modern GPU and more RAM) that's cheaper to develop for and its games are easy to port between the home and the (also ARM based) handheld consoles.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.