By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Hot dogs, bacon and other processed meats cause cancer, WHO declares

That's it, i'll become vegan and only eat white sugar and coconut oil from now on.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network
pokoko said:
FIT_Gamer said:

How many cows, pigs, or chickens kill other animals? Not only that how many of them kill other animals for "sport" or just for their own personal pleasure?

So only cows, pigs, and chickens count?  Other animals don't?  And many animals kill for sport.  Cats, chimps, otters, dolphins, dogs, and wolves off the top of my head.  I'm sure there are many, many more.  Most of those will also kill the babies of thier own kind and sometimes eat them.  Actually, now that I think about it, pigs are mean as hell and will kill and eat pretty much anything they can, including cats, rats, and baby animals of other species.

No all animals matter, i don't pick and choose which ones are more important. I don't partake in speciesism. I just mentioned those animals because of the topic at hand. Those are the main ones we breed, torture, and kill by billions every year and they are most docile. All of those animals you listed kill out of necessity(food) or self defense. Also the scale of those situations doesn't even compare to what we do to them. Pigs mean as hell? lol Maybe abused pigs. Pigs are very docile and extremely smart, smarter than most breeds of dogs, but the majority of bacon eaters lose their shit when people talk about eating dogs. Reality is very few animals will go out of their way to injure or kill another animal without feeling threatened or for necessity due to their biological make up.  Humans were not designed to eat meat, and we are healthier without it. We haven't evolved to meat, which is why we still cook pretty much all meat to make it "safe".

Porcupine_I said:
That's it, i'll become vegan and only eat white sugar and coconut oil from now on.

...OR you could eat many of whole plant foods and grains available. Save some animals, save your planet, maintain a healthy weight without restricting calories, have higher levels of natural energy without the need of coffee, energy drinks, pre-workout, and lower your chances of many health problems such a diabetes, heart disease, and many types of cancer. On second hand that just sounds ridiculous doesn't it?

MegaDrive08 said:
Seventizz said:
Everything causes cancer or some other illness. From mercury in fish, to salmonella in poultry and fruits/veggies.

You do know people have cured cancers, diabetes from going on fully Raw diets?? People need to eat a more Alkaline based diet and stop eating all the crap, refined sugars and processed foods, meats and dairy that are acidic to our bodies.

What!? That's the most BS story I've read in a long time. Nothing's wrong with food with a relatively low pH. The fast majority of fruits and vegetables are acidic, and a lot more acidic than meat for that matter. Stomach acid is more acid than the food your eat and once it reaches the duodenum, bile is added which neutralises everything anyway. Absorbtion of nutrients doesn't happen until food reaches the jejunum. And even if that didn't happen, Acidity doesn't cause cancer, many things can and do, but acidity doesn't.

I've looked this up, because you must've read this somewhere, and I found this graph: http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/11652/file-2473715827-jpg/images/ph_levels-resized-600.jpg Honestly, I had to giggle, it's the most inaccurate thing I've seen today.

Anyway, after I read some more, I found the origin of the myth. Research has found that cancer cells thrive slightly better in acidic environments than in alkaline environments in lab conditions. However the conclusion some people draw from this is absolutely absurd (and just goes to show that basic biology lessons are perhaps necessary for everyone). Supposedly, by eating more alkaline food, you will become more resistant to cancer, or whatever BS some people claim. The thing is, no food can alter pH in your body. Blood for example is slightly acidic by nature, I can eat lemons and drink vinegar all day long, but that isn't going to change the pH of my blood at all (or any other part of my body for that matter). Excess acid or alkali are disposed by urine. That's all, your pee becomes slightly more acidic or alkaline depending on your diet, but it isn't going to cause cancer.

FIT_Gamer said:
Porcupine_I said:

...OR you could eat many of whole plant foods and grains available. Save some animals, save your planet, maintain a healthy weight without restricting calories, have higher levels of natural energy without the need of coffee, energy drinks, pre-workout, and lower your chances of many health problems such a diabetes, heart disease, and many types of cancer. On second hand that just sounds ridiculous doesn't it?

You should not assume things about people you don't know.

Unless you are one of the people who think they are the only ones who know everything about a healthy lifestyle and therefore everyone else must be doing it wrong.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network
Porcupine_I said:
FIT_Gamer said:

You should not assume things about people you don't know.

Unless you are one of the people who think they are the only ones who know everything about a healthy lifestyle and therefore everyone else must be doing it wrong.

I was just replying to the ridiculous nature of your comment. 

Fruits are not acidic to the human body, to your teeth yes, unlike meat that is acidic to the body, if you think what you eat does not have an effect on you thats bs, saliva acidity tells you we should'nt be eating meat.

Processed food is bad for you? No way!

And after this you read everywhere (once again) that red meat causes cancer. The processed food (or meat in this case) is usually full of additives (that likely aren't natural food for humans), grains and processed omega 6 oils (like rapeseed or sunflower) that are oxidated and cause inflammation (that results in many diseases of affluence).

Non-processed food, however, is good for your health.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

MegaDrive08 said:
Fruits are not acidic to the human body, to your teeth yes, unlike meat that is acidic to the body, if you think what you eat does not have an effect on you thats bs, saliva acidity tells you we should'nt be eating meat.

You can't be serious, are you? There's no such thing as ''acidic to the human body'' or ''acidic to your teeth'', something's acidic, or it's not. Sure, what you eat has an effect on your body, too much fat isn't good, we all know that. Too much sugar isn't healthy either, but acidity doesn't matter. You're just rambling nonsense, or else back your claims up by research or a proper explanation, but I can assure you, there isn't one.