By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Has the 360 past its limit?

Tavin said:
kingofwale said:

In comparison, it will probably take PS3 developers another 2 years to max PS3 and Wii already got maxed in SMG.

And you know that because ....

Because it's pretty much an improved GameCube ;)

PSN ID: krik

Optimistic predictions for 2008 (Feb 5 2008): Wii = 20M, PS3 = 14M, X360 = 9.5M

Around the Network
Username2324 said:
sc94597 said:
kingofwale said:
I agree with kenzomatic.

Xbox isn't maxed out yet, but it's close to be maxed out. Just look at how little improvement GeoW2 will have over the first one.

Frankly, that's not really a bad thing, this way you get to enjoy games that takes FULL advantage of a console for years to come.

In comparison, it will probably take PS3 developers another 2 years to max PS3 and Wii already got maxed in SMG.

The wii didn't get maxed out in smg. If that was the case it would be running at 30fps instead of 60fps. That means even if it maxed the wii at 60fps it could still do twice that in 30fps. Nobody even said it maxed the wii out at 60fps. The wii still has alot of room left for graphical improvement.

I think you misunderstand the basics of performance. A game running at 60Fps using set amount of power doesn't mean that at 30fps it would look twice as good.

Either way you would see an increase in performance if it is twice or not. Nobody said the wii was being pushed with mario galaxy. If it was being pushed to it's limits it would have to run at the slowest speed possible when playing games 30fps , and nobody even said it pushed the wii at 60fps.

Nobody said, because nobody knows for sure, Nintendo won't say, and developers won't say because Nintendo won't let them.

But of course you're our resident expert on the Wii, so we should all trust what you say. 

Username2324 said:
Nobody said, because nobody knows for sure, Nintendo won't say, and developers won't say because Nintendo won't let them.

Yet if it was being pushed to the max we would see drops in framerate and lag.Basically what we see in mass effect , but to a larger extent and not because the code wasn't efficient, but because it was being pushed to the limits.  Developers can't say ,because they don't know , because the game was made by nintendo. 

Gow2 will prolly be the last game the 360 has to offer

Around the Network

maxed out thats funny. Like disolitude said the ps2 didnt get maxed out till late in its console life. Mass effect looked great(bugy yes but when the textures turned up it did look great) and was a huge game. Im sure we are going to see games coming out that is going to push the 360 even more.

sc94597 said:
Username2324 said:

Yet if it was being pushed to the max we would see drops in framerate and lag.Basically what we see in mass effect , but to a larger extent and not because the code wasn't efficient, but because it was being pushed to the limits. Developers can't say ,because they don't know , because the game was made by nintendo.

drop frame-rate + lags = bad games.

great graphics + runs beautiful (ie: God of war 2) = pushing a console to the max.

I think you are confused or something. 

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

Yes it has passed it's limit, look at Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey it took 3 and 4 DVDs.

"Why isn't samus in a mario kart game?"

sc94597 said:
Username2324 said:

Yet if it was being pushed to the max we would see drops in framerate and lag.Basically what we see in mass effect , but to a larger extent and not because the code wasn't efficient, but because it was being pushed to the limits. Developers can't say ,because they don't know , because the game was made by nintendo.

I wouldn't say a game can only be pushed to it's limits when there's framerate problems. Hypothetically, when a game gets released that looks a tad better than Galaxy, but has framerate problems, I would say Galaxy is graphically the better game, thus pushing the Wii farther than the other, prettier game with performance problems.

Technically, I'd say Metroid Prime 3 is a better looking game than Galaxy, but I'm sure it's not the Wii's limit. We will probably see the limit of the Wii when the next big Zelda game is released, or when Factor 5 makes a game like the Rogue Squadron games on the GameCube.

Saw you had just one post so I toned down.

Mass effect was nice, if not full of loading screens and such. But surely, you could at least give a group of games as an example, perhaps even show a trend?

Heres some expectations that you can be pretty assured of.

1. Multi-plat games will be essentially identical or for now better on the Xbox 360 due to the larger installed base.

2. The Xbox Gpu is more advanced than the PS3 GPU though both can be called very obsolete by now in PC terms. The PS3 CPU is more powerful so this is a wash slightly favouring the PS3. I don't think it's enough to call one as better than the other. Afterall true graphics philes need not look much further than a g80+ or 8800gt+ to get their fix.

3. Most games are going to be Multi-platform, if you like the exclusive frachises on one better than the other then thats obviously going to sway you.

If you're deciding....

Between Xbox360 and PS3. Go down from top to bottom, higher in the list means its more important in making a comparison. (From what I hope is an objective point of view.)

1.Value (How much you want to pay for games and INCLUDE back catalog of games that you want to buy at the start. Factor in whether or not you want WiFi and how important your online experience is. If no online and Wii is not desirable. Consider just getting an Arcade. It is PERFECT for just playing games and the lower price means you can spend more on games rather than paying for capabilities you don't need. I started with an arcade but I upgraded it. Furthermore is an Xbox360 arcade and a Wii MORE value to you than a Pro or PS3? Factor here also the cost of Older current gen games that are considered excellent and the value of the games bundled in applicable.

Consider the total initial cost of games and consider whether you value a better online experience. Factor in here for Online experience, what systems your friends have. If you play online a lot you're best to match them and get what they have.

2. Games selection. If you get a system that you can buy and enjoy games on the most. Factor in here controllers, you want to most comfortable and easy to use controller for yourself. Do you like RPG's? FPS's? Are you a refugee from PC gaming but still want as many PC frachises? (Xbox 360 rules here!) What system will you enjoy the most? Furthermore, which exclusive frachises do you like?

Here I think you should factor Known quantities higher than unknowns. Ignore hype, only upcoming games with proven track records should sway your decisions. Unless it REALLY sounds like you're going to love a certain game. GOW 2, GT5, MGS4, RFOM 2, Mass Effect 2, Uncharted 2. Proven high quality games with studios that have a track record.

3. BluRay (Only important if you are considering actually buying Blu Ray titles in the next year, Also factor in what type of sound system. If you have a decent setup or are an Audiophile, the PS3 is NOT a consideration here. Dedicated hardware is required. I have a PS3 and I DONT care about it's Blu Ray. I will get a dedicated box next year though. Lastly DVD is fine, really it is. I have a 53" 1080P screen and I view from 6' away. This is subjective

4. Expectations of reliability? One in 15 to One in 10 Xboxes will break down vs about 1 in 30-40 PS3's. Not hugely significant in my humble opinion. Mitigated if you have a Wii though. ^^

5. I hope it helps you! I tried to be objective but I have a little bias towards the 360. You can factor that in as well.

Tease.