By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Unverified dev guesses: NX might more powerful than PS4/XBONE, based on a PC demo...

Soundwave said:
ShockingAlberto on NeoGaf who's supposedly a very reliable insider basically laughed at the idea of NX being better than the PS4. Take that for what it's worth:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=181944320&postcount=1799

worth nothing, just like OP's source

Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!

Around the Network
Arminillo said:
Soundwave said:
ShockingAlberto on NeoGaf who's supposedly a very reliable insider basically laughed at the idea of NX being better than the PS4. Take that for what it's worth:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=181944320&postcount=1799

worth nothing, just like OP's source

Probably moreso, Alberto has been vetted as a developer I think, the OP's source is a tiny message board that's largest thread has 33 replies to it. Seriously go visit that "NintendoForum". They are very likely lying. I follow Nintendo on a daily basis too for years now, and this is the first I've ever heard of that forum. 

Well, PS4 and especially XBO were surprisingly "weak" for a release end of 2013 and the new Nintendo device is supposed to release three or four years later, it would be pretty odd if it wouldn't be more powerful or at least as powerful as PS4.

He says "It's likely" more powerful  

Nintation360 said:

He says "It's likely" more powerful  

That's the other thing that "likely" makes such a report bogus ... something equivalent to a Skylake CPU + high-end GPU isn't "likely" better than a PS4/XB1, it would be for sure better. By a large margin most likely. It's typical "I pulled this rumor out of my rear end-isms" ... you vaguely don't pin yourself down into any position. 

Odds are the person on the other side of that "rumor" is a 14-year-old kid who's mom is yelling at him to come down and eat dinner, not an "industry insider". 

Around the Network

I knew we'd get these "totally legit inside people" reporting stuff on NX once the dev kits were released I expect about 20 billion more before we get real/accurate information

okay again in the right thread...

"Reviewtechusa said:
Honestly, I think its great that nintendo knows it needs that 3rd party support but they should fully support the wii U till the end, then talk about NX. But hardware wise, Id say its pretty good. But it depends when it will launch so that it wont become dated. I hope this rumor is true but I think its too early to assume."

the rumor isnt true(well maybe the devkit is a bulky intel cpu and a gtx980, but that hints a nonx86 build, because you need a fuckton of power for that, even if they emulate on a realy low level). intel doesnt need low profit chips like those in a console, same goes for nvidia(i dont think they would go intel cpu and amd gpu, that would be realy strange).

and it would be waay to expensive"

IMO an AMD SOC is very likely, if not all but guaranteed at this point.
PS4 levels of performance allows for games like Horizon Zero Dawn in an open world, TBH if Nintendo used 8 of AMD latest mobile CPU cores, like Puma, along with a 1.6TFlop GPU they'd be capable of doing that, with a chip that uses less power than PS4's SOC does.
PS4 games, particularly exclusives are going to be heavily built around physics and a lot of general compute being offloaded to the GPU, Nintendo may take a difference stance and add a more capable CPU, which would also be capable of handling a lot more physics code, overall a different kind of balance, but plenty of GPU hardware to deal with the kinds of games that will be made over the rest of the generation.

AMD's most current CPUs are much more capable than their Jaguar tech, developers wouldn't have to offload as much general compute code to the GPU in NX.

Of course a more powerful GPU would be all gravy, overall NX could have more than 50% greater performance overall compared to PS4, but still use less energy, even at 28nm.
28nm seems pretty likely as it's mature and cheap, 14nm would add cost.

I think anyone trying to legitimate figure out what level of performance Nintendo could use in their next console really just needs to think about form factor and cost.

Nintendo can put themselves in a good position with developers by just packing a better CPU in their next console and a GPU with a new feature-set, but similar levels of performance to PS4 or even somewhere between that and XB1.

It's possible Nintendo tries to release a home console that can handle the level of multiplats you get on PS4, but at 1080p 60FPS, since that badge seems pretty important to a bunch of people this generation.
Nintendo launching this at the end of 2016 would make sense as it has the potential to take some of the wind out of the sails of PS4 and XB1, especially if a Nintendo home console also offers a decent array of exclusives, while also running multiplats at the best level compared to the competition and Nintendo can get just as much support as the competition does.

Not to forget that NX is most likely going to offer gamers the ability to be able to buy a handheld so they can take any of those games anywhere they want and continue to play everything on the move, that's a pretty unique prospect.
I know PS4 allows for Vita to be used for remote play, but games don't run natively and you require an internet connection to do it, NX would be an all native thing, so no latency problems.

ArchangelMadzz said:

"PS4 and Xbone’s hardware are almost one and the same, except for RAM." - User on the website

Technically speaking, he's not wrong at all. Both the CPU and the GPU are the same technolgy in both consoles, specifically a Jaguar based 8-core CPU and a GCN 1.0 GPU and only the RAM (DDR3+eDRAM vs GDDR5) is actally any different technology. The actual power differs (slightly more CPU power in the Xbox ONE vs ~50% more powerful GPU in the PS4), but the technology of both hardware are the same.

@news: Doubt it a bit, but it would be nice if this was true. It might also just be that the Devkit can make more drawcalls than on pre-DirectX 12, as Graphics cards get seriously hampered here (just for scale, with DX12 the amount of possible drawcalls rises by 15-20x depending on the chip with previous itinerations of DirectX or OpenGL before Vulcan), thus creating an illusion of power which ain't actually all that mighty after all.

Still not getting it