By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony more open-minded about Physical Media than Nintendo and Microsoft?

From the article of the Publisher Limited Run Games who plans to publish digital only games in physical form like indies etc. who were only avaible digital. He explains why they are choosing the PS4 and the vita only for now

http://www.pocket-console.com/2015/10/an-interview-with-limited-run-games.html

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/261366/limited-run-games-to-create-physical-digital-games-for-ps4-amp-ps-vita/

####

MAC: You mentioned on Twitter that PS4 projects would have a lower production cost than Vita, so will that be a focus early on over Vita titles? Are Sony products going to be the main focus for now?

JF: 
Sony consoles and handhelds are the main focus right now, and that's due to how progressive Sony is with allowing smaller publishers to do physical runs. I can't go into detail, but their minimum order quantities are incredibly reasonable compared to Microsoft and Nintendo. I don't get the feeling that either of the latter want to waste their time with smaller print runs. This is just one more reason on the pile of reasons to develop for Sony.

Due to the proprietary cartridge format of Vita games, production costs are about 50% higher. With our earlier releases we plan to stagger them by releasing PS4 discs first, when possible, followed by Vita carts. We'd do this to utilize any gains from the PS4 run to fund the Vita run. That said, we definitely plan to publish Vita exclusive games - we'll just have to stick to smaller print runs on those until we've built up our funds a bit.

-5-

MAC: What are your plans for working with other devs on limited print runs? Anything in the works already?

JF: 
We currently have a list of over forty games that we'd love to bring into the physical realm. It's a good mix of PS4 and Vita titles both upcoming and already released. We're already in talks with a few developers and their games are awesome - I wish I could say more! If any of your readers have a favorite game that isn't available physically, they should definitely feel free to drop our name to that game's developer.
####

Opinions?

Around the Network

It has been the case since PS1, as we saw on the MCV article about how PS conquered Europe
But old Ninty-hag thinks it's moneyhats instead of simple better policies

Doesn't surprise me. Sony will likely be anchored to physical media for another 6-7 years, so it makes sense for them to be open with it. Nintendo doesn't care because it'll be all digital in a year with the NX meaning Digital Run Games is completely irrelevant to them, and Microsoft already showed through its XBO reveal the desire to ween people off physical, so all is as it should be.

Ummm... There have been several digital only games that had physical releases on the Wii U. Ducktales Remastered, Shovel Knight (coming on other systems also), supposedly Telltale's The Walking Dead and a few others.

That being said the PS4 has a lot more digital titles being released on physical than the other systems.

Bumb this thread it is sorry for double thread

Around the Network

I support digital. Mainly because Steam is the best service for gamers out there and used games sales do nothing but hurt devs and there are a massive amount of cheapskates out there that will wait for the game to be $20 or less at gamestop before buying.

Sharpryno said:
I support digital. Mainly because Steam is the best service for gamers out there and used games sales do nothing but hurt devs and there are a massive amount of cheapskates out there that will wait for the game to be $20 or less at gamestop before buying.

And that is different than people waiting for the humble bundles on steam?

i have to say no they arent and ps now is proof if where they want to go in the future

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

They are moving faster towards digital than Microsoft or Nintendo at the moment with PS Now but that doesn't mean they are good at physical media as well.

Roronaa_chan said:
It has been the case since PS1, as we saw on the MCV article about how PS conquered Europe
But old Ninty-hag thinks it's moneyhats instead of simple better policies

What?