By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rougelike is the worst named subgenre

Rougelike is the worst named subgenre.  This is all.

in releated news another game was announced and somehow i'm angry about that.

Around the Network

I think MOBA gives it a run for its money.

I think "SHMUP" sounds dumb as well.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

How about Advergame?

(Advergames, in the context of video game genres, refers to promotional software specifically made to advertise a product, organization or viewpoint. The first advergames were distributed on floppy disk by the Chef Boyardee, Coca-Cola, and Samsung brands,[32] while the first cereal box advergame was Chex Quest in 1996.[33] The majority of advergames are found online and mostly include simple and cheaply made Flash games.)

MOBA is a terrible subgenre name. Sounds like a Roomba.

Ultrashroomz said:

Sounds dumb but those games can be the most challenging.  Plus, it isn't as dorky sounding and playing as MOBA.

Around the Network

I concur. Took me ages to figure out what it actually means.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

kitler53 said:

Rougelike is the worst named subgenre.  This is all.

Well, the genre is named after the game Rogue. The naming is comparable to Metroidvania.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_(video_game)

EDIT:

kitler53 said:

in releated news another game was announced and somehow i'm angry about that.

LOL, that isn't even a rogue-like: "Cryptark is a high-speed roguelike shooter"

Rogue is a turn-based dungeon-crawling RPG with randomly generated dungeons and permadeath. Maybe Cryptark is with permadeath, but high-speed shooter is so NOT rogue-like.

"Roguelike is a subgenre of role-playing video games, characterized by procedural generation of game levels, turn-based gameplay, tile-based graphics, permanent death of the player-character, and typically based on a high fantasy narrative setting."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I prefer calling them "procedural death labyrinths".

Ultrashroomz said:

i agree with that.  it's not as annoying to me as rouelike but SHMUP is also a terrible name.

Metroidvania is arguably worse, considering how many Castlevania games are not in that genre.

Love and tolerate.