By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Your Favorite Nintendo IP (With Poll)

Which one?

Mario 132 18.78%

Zelda 255 36.27%

Metroid 65 9.25%

Kirby 9 1.28%

Donkey Kong 18 2.56%

Super Smash Bros. 54 7.68%

Fire Emblem 36 5.12%

Pokémon 74 10.53%

Star Fox 11 1.56%

Other 49 6.97%

Total:703
Aeolus451 said:
spemanig said:

No one's playing them for nostalgia's sake. They're playing them because they're the most well designed games being made today. It's your perogative to dislike those IP, but don't pretend the reason they're the biggest franchises in the world is just because people remember playing them when they were five.

That's a flat out lie and I'm not pretending anything. They are nintendo's biggest IPs because of nostalgia and people wanting to experience those IPs/games again.   All people become attached to characters or a IP itself for whatever reason but it plays a main factor in why they will keep buying any additions of that IP. That's the case with just about anything entertainment related. I'm not knocking the games themselves but nostalgia itself. I just don't care for it. Alot of nintendo's main games are good but it's the same IPs over and over again. 

Alot of the nintendo camp will buy any new zelda game without ever seeing any gameplay or trailers. That's not because of well designed games and I'm not saying that they aren't well designed.

I'm the same with other things. If they did a remake of the goonies or the poeple under the stairs, I would go watch it or if SE revived the chrono trigger series, I would play it without seeing any gameplay. I'll be playing the FFVII remake because of nostalgia. 

By no means, am I saying that the nintendo camp are the only ones doing that sort of thing but nintendo's gaming experience has been about mostly nostalgia for many years. 

All my little cousins love playing the new Mario games, I guess it's nostalgia from a past life.

Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!

Around the Network
Arminillo said:
Aeolus451 said:

That's a flat out lie and I'm not pretending anything. They are nintendo's biggest IPs because of nostalgia and people wanting to experience those IPs/games again.   All people become attached to characters or a IP itself for whatever reason but it plays a main factor in why they will keep buying any additions of that IP. That's the case with just about anything entertainment related. I'm not knocking the games themselves but nostalgia itself. I just don't care for it. Alot of nintendo's main games are good but it's the same IPs over and over again. 

Alot of the nintendo camp will buy any new zelda game without ever seeing any gameplay or trailers. That's not because of well designed games and I'm not saying that they aren't well designed.

I'm the same with other things. If they did a remake of the goonies or the poeple under the stairs, I would go watch it or if SE revived the chrono trigger series, I would play it without seeing any gameplay. I'll be playing the FFVII remake because of nostalgia. 

By no means, am I saying that the nintendo camp are the only ones doing that sort of thing but nintendo's gaming experience has been about mostly nostalgia for many years. 

All my little cousins love playing the new Mario games, I guess it's nostalgia from a past life.

I never said that all of nintento fans play for that reason.

Mario is life

Aeolus451 said:

It's not a flat out lie, and yes you are. A lot of the "Nintendo camp" would do no such thing. They look at the trailers, see a game that matches their preferences, and buy it. Thinking that there's any significant amount of consumers in any demographic or market that would buy any $40-$60 peice of media without looking at it first is what's flat out wrong, and there absolutely is something wrong with that. Again, people buy the games because they're good games. I don't play Pokemon because its nostalgic. I play them because they're good. I don't play Mario Kart because it's nostalgic. I play because it's good. I didn't even play my first Metroid until like two years ago. Nostalgia has nothing to do with 95% of Nintendo games sales. Quality does. If nostalgia sold games, Sonic would be a titanic franchise right now. There's nothing to revive with Nintendo. The games that are selling millions never went away. You don't get to say people buy Zelda because their nostalgic when they buy Zelda every year. That's not how it works. The definition of nostalgia is a longing for something long past. That doesn't happen with Nintendo franchises. The people buying these games are buying them over and over again, aka Nintendo fans, because they're good, and that's all. 

Sonic Adventure 2

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Aeolus451 said:

It's not a flat out lie, and yes you are. A lot of the "Nintendo camp" would do no such thing. They look at the trailers, see a game that matches their preferences, and buy it. Thinking that there's any significant amount of consumers in any demographic or market that would buy any $40-$60 peice of media without looking at it first is what's flat out wrong, and there absolutely is something wrong with that. Again, people buy the games because they're good games. I don't play Pokemon because its nostalgic. I play them because they're good. I don't play Mario Kart because it's nostalgic. I play because it's good. I didn't even play my first Metroid until like two years ago. Nostalgia has nothing to do with 95% of Nintendo games sales. Quality does. If nostalgia sold games, Sonic would be a titanic franchise right now. There's nothing to revive with Nintendo. The games that are selling millions never went away. You don't get to say people buy Zelda because their nostalgic when they buy Zelda every year. That's not how it works. The definition of nostalgia is a longing for something long past. That doesn't happen with Nintendo franchises. The people buying these games are buying them over and over again, aka Nintendo fans, because they're good, and that's all. 

My point is over your head on nostalgia but I'm done discussing it here. This isn't exactly the thread to debate this sort of subject.  It's about which nintendo IP you like the most. I stated which one I liked and why. 

Aeolus451 said:

My point is over your head on nostalgia but I'm done discussing it here. This isn't exactly the thread to debate this sort of subject.  It's about which nintendo IP you like the most. I stated which one I liked and why. 

It's not over my head. It's wrong.

Arminillo said:
mZuzek said:

I believe it's an entirely different franchise, but I'm no expert on deep Nintendo stuff.

Different franchise. It featured robots that you could completely customize from guns to shoes. it had four player multiplayer, but only 2 entries of the series released in the NA. The Mk iii model is in SSBB as an assist trophy.

Thanks for the explanation. It's a shame I've never heard of it before, but seeing the video... it looks pretty cool, maybe it would translate well into an online game like Splatoon.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Pokemon easily

Tough choice. It will be between Smash, Zelda, and Pokémon. My choice, winning slightly over the other two, is Zelda.