By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation New Zealand confirms discontinuation of PS3 for the region

It's probably selling nothing. Same in Malta, the Xbox 360 ain't discontinued but it's not available at any major retail store. New Xbox 360 games are still available though.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Around the Network
fluky-nintendy said:
The PS3 is still kinda expensive to manufacture and the price is still high for a old console that it is. If they can't get it to cheaper prices then better stop making them.

I always wanted the PS3 to hit that sweet spot of $100 to see what happens but I am not we'll see that.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

I feel as though North America, Japan, and most of Europe will have PS3 for at least a couple more years before being completely discontinued

Big markets like Germany or France will still sell PS3 consoles the next years.
New Zealand is not a big market.

It'll be discontinued in smaller regions for sure, but it probably has another 2 years or so in the big markets.

Around the Network

It starts out being discontinued in rich small countries then rich big countries and lastly poor countries.

So this is no surprise.

estebxx said:
BraLoD said:
A global discontinuation won't be happening soon.

agree with this, and i hope the console is in the market for a long while and hopefully it gets a price cut... i kind of need a new PS3 since my disk tray is not working properly and i have over 60 games for it that would become useless if the disck tray stops working, which will end up happening rather sooner than later...

What model ps3 do you have? Most problems can usually be solved fairly easily. 

I hope they continue support of the ps3 for many more years. Out of around 30 consoles owned it my favorite.

Well there's no point in buying PS3 anymore since most exclusives have come to PS4 so I wouldn't be surprised if Sony decide to pull off the plug very soon.

If they can lower retail price to $150, there is a huge market they can make on developing countries. But since games would be mostly used or cheap, they would have to make a profit on the console sales, so at $150 retail, they would have to cost $120.

If they can't reach these price points might be interesting to discontinue.

Low78wagon said:
estebxx said:
BraLoD said:
A global discontinuation won't be happening soon.

agree with this, and i hope the console is in the market for a long while and hopefully it gets a price cut... i kind of need a new PS3 since my disk tray is not working properly and i have over 60 games for it that would become useless if the disck tray stops working, which will end up happening rather sooner than later...

What model ps3 do you have? Most problems can usually be solved fairly easily. 

I hope they continue support of the ps3 for many more years. Out of around 30 consoles owned it my favorite.

i have the slim console (not the super slim but the one before it). and its not reading the disks properly i need to literally take the console and move it arround until it actually starts reading the disk.