By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation New Zealand confirms discontinuation of PS3 for the region

Kinneas14 said:
What about the 10 years plan?

Still on until official statement.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Around the Network

They promised 10 years and we're only one away from that so, I'm not shocked.

The PS3 is still kinda expensive to manufacture and the price is still high for a old console that it is. If they can't get it to cheaper prices then better stop making them.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...

It's just New Zealand.

It'll be awhile till we see discontinuation in places like the states.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Probably for the smaller market only, a global discontinuation wont be happening soon.

Around the Network

This is just like the PS2 discontinuation, it'll happen in stages. First will be the smaller regions where it only sells a few units a week. Where it's still selling a few thousand a week, they'll come in months done the line. Guessing by mid 2016, the PS3 will be off shelves.

It'll happen a region at a time and i guess retailers still have enough stock for 2015 holyday at least.
As long as the console keeps getting games I'm fine. But that probably means there won't be anymore pricecuts.

I recall someone from sony saying that the problem with the PS3 is that they don't have much room to cut price. if so I don't think they'll drag it on for much longer. I imagine the PS4 will be more likely to hit $99 price point before the end of its life.

I don't expect it to happen. Sony's console tend to be around for a good while before they cease production.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Here in the uk I have noticed that they are becoming less common, so I would'nt be suprised if they get phased out here within the next year.