By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation New Zealand confirms discontinuation of PS3 for the region

- the (now removed) post on Facebook from New Zeland's leading online videogame retailer Mighty Ape games stated that the PS3 had been discountinued in New Zealand

- PlayStation New Zealand have confirmed that the PlayStation 3 has been discontinued for the local market in a statement that reads:

“SCENZ will not be shipping anymore PlayStation 3 consoles to its retailers however the platform is still available in retail outlets throughout NZ and being supported with peripherals, great new releases and back catalogue software.”

- no statement has been made from PlayStation US or Europe

- the article proposes:

New Zealand is a relatively small market so it would seem strange that New Zealand would be the only country to have the PS3 discontinued, it is more likely that the discontinuation will start to filter around remaining PS3 regions.

http://www.thosegamers.com/end-of-an-era-ps3-is-officially-discontinued/

What do you think? Could the PS3 be about the be discontinued in all regions?

Too soon for global discontinuation of the PS3?

Would you find this disappointing if true?

When do you expect/find it reasonable to have Sony discontinue the PS3?

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Around the Network

In Norway it has effectively been discontinued for a year, as retailers have stopped ordering it.

I should hope Sony would be phasing out the PS3, since the PS4 is almost 2 years old now. Time for people to get to switching over to this gen.

It makes sense discontinuing it in a couple of regions. Either they make a decent pricecut and sell it as a cheaper alternative or discontinue it and reinforce the PS4 sales. A 99€ PS3 would be sweet, though.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

The richest markets should get that soon, especially after PS4 gets a price cut. The poorer countries should still be supplied with PS3s for a few years.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
A global discontinuation won't be happening soon.

agree with this, and i hope the console is in the market for a long while and hopefully it gets a price cut... i kind of need a new PS3 since my disk tray is not working properly and i have over 60 games for it that would become useless if the disck tray stops working, which will end up happening rather sooner than later...

It'll probably only get discontinued in smaller regions for now.

Makes sense as Sony probably wants to focus fully on PS4. Plus no more cross gen titles holding current gen games back anymore.

Not a significant region, doesn't really matter.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

What about the 10 years plan?