By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Chrono Trigger the Greatest RPG Ever Made?

Is Chrono Trigger the Greatest RPG Ever Made?

Yes 117 42.86%

No 111 40.66%

I haven't played it so I can't say. 45 16.48%

Total:273

Yes.

I like to call it the most perfect RPG ever made, i really can't find find any flaw in the game whatsoever.

Around the Network

IMO, no. I dont think so.

The game is great, but the best RPG ever? I dont agree.

ps3-sales! said:
Sprash said:

I'm confused, so chrono trigger is ONE of the best rpg's of all time but THE best rpg it is not even close?

Yes.

It's in the discussion of the great RPG's. but that absolute greatest no it's not close. I maybe could have worded that a bit differently. I have mad respect for Chrono Trigger but I could name 10 RPG's from just the 7th gen that are superior to it.

Well what would you consider the greatest jrpg of alltime then? I couldn't name a single game in the genre from the last 2 maybe 3 generations that are better. I'm saying this and Chrono Trigger isn't even my favorite JRPG but I do know how good it is and how not many games in the genre pass it.

On topic, I don't personally think it's the best but I would not blame anyone for placing it there.

At least on SNES, yes. I think it's better than FFIV and way better than FFVI.

I don't know about other consoles, though. There's a lot of RPGs I still have to play out there.

bigtakilla said:
NightDragon83 said:
Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy III (VI) are the two greatest JRPGs of all time, and are up there for the greatest RPGs of all time overall.

You should play Xenoblade Chronicles if you haven't.

I have, bought it for my sister when it was finally released in North America, but I've only spent about 3-4 hours with it and honestly it didn't grab me the way I was expecting it to.  One of these days I should give it another shot.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network

Haven't played.

Chrono trigger is definitely one of the best games I have played, and definitely one of the best RPG's I have played. But I don't think I have played enough RPGs to know for sure it is one of the best. Also, a lot of the RPG's I have played aren't necessarily considered "classic".

Have played:
Pokemon
Mario & Luigi
Paper Mario
Kingdom Hearts
Moster Hunter

Favorites:
Chrono Trigger
The World Ends with You

Still Playing:
Chrono Cross (amazing)
Xenoblade Chronicles (seems slow and drawn out... about 10-20 hours in)

I think The World Ends with You needs to be in the conversation of best RPG of all time.
Great graphics, music, style, story, setting
Fantastically complicated battles system
The only problem is it might be too complicated to newcomers of the genre

Proud Owner of:

Atari: 2600 5200 Jaguar

Sega: Master System Genesis (W/CD) Saturn Dreamcast Game Gear

Nintendo: NES SNES N64 Gamecube WII WIIU GB GBA(W/e-Reader) DS(i) 3DS

Sony: PS1 PS2 PS3 PS4(W/VR) PSP

Microsoft: XBOX XBOX360

Other: Colecovision, TurboGrafx-16, OUYA, R-Zone Super Screen, Xavix, Intellivision

Windows 10 w/ 12GB RAM, first Gen i7 processor, and 480 GTX; MacBook Air

I would like to know, of all the people that voted YES, how many of them played/finished the game recently for the first time?

I finished the game a year ago for the first time on my Vita, and i think that the game is really good but nowhere near the Best RPG of ALL TIME.

I think that Nostalgia is a realy big factor when it comes to these type of "Best of all time" threads.

NightDragon83 said:
bigtakilla said:
NightDragon83 said:
Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy III (VI) are the two greatest JRPGs of all time, and are up there for the greatest RPGs of all time overall.

You should play Xenoblade Chronicles if you haven't.

I have, bought it for my sister when it was finally released in North America, but I've only spent about 3-4 hours with it and honestly it didn't grab me the way I was expecting it to.  One of these days I should give it another shot.

Definitely. Well worth the time you invest in it. 

Eh... nah...

I played the game about 10-15 years after it came out. I enjoyed it but I didn't think it was like amazing. A lot of the things they are talking about in the video are things that Chrono Trigger did to advance the genre, but not necessarily things that hold it up today. I actually think FF6 and Super Mario RPG hold up better out of the SNES RPGs.

My favorites are Skies of Arcadia, Xenoblade, Paper Mario TTYD, and Tales of Symphonia in no particular order.