By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Chrono Trigger the Greatest RPG Ever Made?

Is Chrono Trigger the Greatest RPG Ever Made?

Yes 117 42.86%

No 111 40.66%

I haven't played it so I can't say. 45 16.48%

Total:273

CT is in the top tier category but not the best.

I keep seeing FF6 listed as the best. Your fooling yourselves. FF6 has too many problems (terrible balance, glitch/bug heavy *OVER 30 total*)

Around the Network

Projared did a great video on it. I gotta say it's perhaps the biggest game I've never played, as the SNES is the only Nintendo/Sega/Playsation/Xbox system I don't own. I've really wanted to play it for the longest time.

Might have to bite the bullet and play it on the PC... Really would prefer the SNES though. Hell, maybe I'll just finally buy a SNES lol

Pavolink said:
AZWification said:

No, that would have to be Paper Mario TTYD imo. Chrono Trigger is still in my top 5 though!

TTYD is a classic. Who would have though, GameCube had aside of TTYD, both Prime games. Amazing games those 3, I think I will start them again.

I've finished playing TTYD a few weeks ago and it's still as awesome as ever! I hope you'll have a good time with it.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

I simply don't get what people love about this game. I TRIED so hard to get into it it's just no Final Fantasy VII or VIII for me. Not even close. The story and characters are boring...I couldn't finish the game. Just couldn't sit through it.

Ka-pi96 said:
Unless Final Fantasy 8 changed it's name without me noticing... no.

It seems you're qualified enough to get a job at Edge

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
Ka-pi96 said:
sc94597 said:
What is with the Final Fantasy 8 love in this thread? It is generally an unpopular game in the series (for, in my opinion, good reasons), so it is odd to see so much love here. Not that I am stomping on your parade or anything haha. ;)

You sure about that? People generally refer to the glory days of Final Fantasy as 7-9 often including one or both of 6/10 as well. But still 8 is included in there

Final Fantasy 8 was viewed as a huge letdown gameplay-wise and is generally considered the worst on Playstation from what I've seen. So it was interesting to see more than one or two people mention it in this thread, in sequence. Personally I would rate IX, VI, IV, X, V and VII above it. Nevertheless, the game gets hate for its broken gameplay mechanics, realistic style, and drab story.

FF7, 8, and Tactics were all brilliant. It is FF9 that's easily the worst on Playstation, it was a game about kids with tails involved in a completely uninteresting and unmemorable story.

When it comes to Chrono Trigger though, there is no RPG which does so many things correctly and well. Every part that went into Chrono Trigger is one of the greatest examples of those parts in any RPG ever made. Even with its aged 16-bit graphics, it is still one of the prettiest games ever made, looking not justbetter, but MUCH better than most RPGs today. Chrono Trigger is arguably the greatest game in history.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Out of the turn based rpgs it is one of the greats. Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga is overall the best turn based RPG to my mind.

Jumpin said:
sc94597 said:
Ka-pi96 said:
sc94597 said:
What is with the Final Fantasy 8 love in this thread? It is generally an unpopular game in the series (for, in my opinion, good reasons), so it is odd to see so much love here. Not that I am stomping on your parade or anything haha. ;)

You sure about that? People generally refer to the glory days of Final Fantasy as 7-9 often including one or both of 6/10 as well. But still 8 is included in there

Final Fantasy 8 was viewed as a huge letdown gameplay-wise and is generally considered the worst on Playstation from what I've seen. So it was interesting to see more than one or two people mention it in this thread, in sequence. Personally I would rate IX, VI, IV, X, V and VII above it. Nevertheless, the game gets hate for its broken gameplay mechanics, realistic style, and drab story.

FF7, 8, and Tactics were all brilliant. It is FF9 that's easily the worst on Playstation, it was a game about kids with tails involved in a completely uninteresting and unmemorable story.

When it comes to Chrono Trigger though, there is no RPG which does so many things correctly and well. Every part that went into Chrono Trigger is one of the greatest examples of those parts in any RPG ever made. Even with its aged 16-bit graphics, it is still one of the prettiest games ever made, looking not justbetter, but MUCH better than most RPGs today. Chrono Trigger is arguably the greatest game in history.

Disagree with you on FFIX and FFVIII. As far as PS1 Final Fantasies go: FFIX >>> FFVII>> FFVIII.

Do agree quite a bit with regards to Chrono Trigger though. It is in my top five JRPG's.

it's certainly a high point, it could be argued that it's the best 16-bit RPGs of the 16-bit area...

To me the discussion is around those:

- Phanrasy Star 4

- Lunar/Lunar II (sega CD)

- Chrono Trigger

- Maybe FF VI (I give it credit, hoever, I never finished it on the 3 or 4 times I tried myself at a playthrough

Other RPGs of the time are not worth mentioning as "best" however there are many really good RPGs on the 16-bit machines, more so on the SNES obviously... however, the Japanese PC Engine CD had quite a few impressive entries as well.

I wonder where those who think FF VIII is even "good" are from, certainly not earth, that game was horrible, I remember trying to collect those flying balls out of enemies FOREVER, it bored me to death... it did show how good a PS1 RPG could look, that was impressive at the time! I recall drooling over the trailers!

It all comes down to personal preference..... why don't people understand this?

Someone will consider it the best of all time, someone else won't.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]