By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Pope: Workers Have 'Human Right' to Refuse Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

- Pope Francis weighted on anti-gay-marriage clerk Kim Davis situation after leaving the United States

- On Monday he told reporters aboard the papal plane that anyone who prevents others from exercising their religious freedom is denying them a human right.

- The pontiff was asked:

"Do you … support those individuals, including government officials, who say they cannot in good conscience, their own personal conscience, abide by some laws or discharge their duties as government officials, for example when issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples?"

- To which he responded without specifically referring to Davis:

"I can't have in mind all the cases that can exist about conscientious objection … but yes, I can say that conscientious objection is a right that is a part of every human right. It is a right. And if a person does not allow others to be a conscientious objector, he denies a right."

"Conscientious objection must enter into every juridical structure because it is a right, a human right. Otherwise we would end up in a situation where we select what is a right, saying, 'this right that has merit, this one does not.'"

"It is a human right and if a government official is a human person, he has that right. It is a human right."

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/pope-francis-visits-america/pope-francis-i-understand-anger-catholic-church-sex-abuse-victims-n434681

Human right Vs Human right? Right to marry vs right to object on religious ground?

What do you think about this statement? Do you agree with the Pope?

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Around the Network

It depends on the country.

Inb4 Stupid Christians!

Moderated - Leadified

Hiku said:
Well I think I see his point.
But they're still going to get fired for breaking the law.

Kim Davis is still working though.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

What about the gay couples who objected to Kim Davis's actions disallowing them from a human right given to them by the Supreme Court?

Around the Network

What I don't understand is why she went to jail and was not simply fired.

If she fails to do any part of her job she should be fired such as in the case mentioned above.

It reminds me of a case where an employee refused to touch pork in their job working a register at Wallmart. There were removed from their position and then sued the company.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

Humans are impossible, lol.

I cannot imagine toilet-free life.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

-Downtown Alanya Kebab magazine issue no.198

Independent workers/business owners? sure, fair enough. Government workers who must uphold the rule of law and civil/human rights (i'm not sure which marriage falls under)? Not so much.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

RavenXtra said:

What about the gay couples who objected to Kim Davis's actions disallowing them from a human right given to them by the Supreme Court?

If Kim Davis was a real conscientious objector she would quit her job in protest.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

Versus_Evil said:
Popes such a closet gay.

This is such a stupid statement. He didn't say: ''gays go to hell'' or ''kill the gays''. He was trying to understand other's people perspective. In this case, christian workers.