By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo 5 has a ROCK SOLID performance (Digital Foundry)

Zekkyou said:
Jazz2K said:
Makes you wonder how people could play on PS3 and 360... "1080p or nothing..."

No one here is claiming that a full 1080p is an inherent necessity, so let's not throw the thread into a discussion there's obviously no need for. There's a very big difference between someone feeling that, and simply believe [x] would have been better than [y]. The whole point in a new generation is to expand on what [x] and [y] can be, and there is will always be disagreement as to how to balance those potential new progressions. Such discussion is healthy (if a little repetitive at times :p).

No one is directly claiming it but seeing how it bother so many that a game isn't 1080 is telling. Talk about a positive to a game and as soon as some realise it's not 1080 then 10 pages later they still argue about the quality of the game even if the rest is great. How many threads have we got on the subject? How many sites make their bread and butter on the subject? Yea it tells a lot. Some even go as far as saying 1080p is necessary to aim in shooters... as if they started playing games last week.  I don't think positive threads turning into huge arguments over some minor graphical fidelity is any healthy imo. 

Around the Network

The game looks really good to me. Great to know that it runs without a hitch.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Jazz2K said:
Makes you wonder how people could play on PS3 and 360... "1080p or nothing..."

There was a time when people were satisfies with a hoop and a stick. Demanding a game to run more than 720p30 is lunacy!

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Jazz2K said:
Zekkyou said:

No one here is claiming that a full 1080p is an inherent necessity, so let's not throw the thread into a discussion there's obviously no need for. There's a very big difference between someone feeling that, and simply believe [x] would have been better than [y]. The whole point in a new generation is to expand on what [x] and [y] can be, and there is will always be disagreement as to how to balance those potential new progressions. Such discussion is healthy (if a little repetitive at times :p).

No one is directly claiming it but seeing how it bother so many that a game isn't 1080 is telling. Talk about a positive to a game and as soon as some realise it's not 1080 then 10 pages later they still argue about the quality of the game even if the rest is great. How many threads have we got on the subject? How many sites make their bread and butter on the subject? Yea it tells a lot. Some even go as far as saying 1080p is necessary to aim in shooters... as if they started playing games last week.  I don't think positive threads turning into huge arguments over some minor graphical fidelity is any healthy imo. 

If you talk about one technical aspect, the others will come up too, good and bad. It's hardly just resolution either. If Halo 5 was 1080p/30fps, we'd inevitably have a different group complaining it wasn't 60fps. Or if it was an unstable 60fps, we'd have others saying they'd rather it be a locked 30fps, and so forth.

If you aren't interested in people expressing what technical balances they prefer, don't enter threads where it's a natural extension of the topic (in this particular case it's a part of the actual source it's built upon). Again, there's not need to throw this thread into a discussion there's no need for. By all means express why you agree or disagree with the various views expressed here, but don't mock the views themselves.

Halo 5 uses dynamic resolution to maintain 60FPS. MCC did not have dynamic resolution. The argument for better graphics and higher resolution is simply that every other Halo has been 30FPS. You get the feeling that Microsoft fell for the framerate hype... or was this something that the fanbase had demanded.

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3VuAx0obIk

Some very nice people in this forums are hopping for this game to be rushed and broken, well, sorry to dissapoint you:

"After testing all three modes available here, we managed to uncover only a small handful of dropped frames. No matter how many enemies or effects are on screen, we see an almost complete adherence to 60 frames per second. Delivering a frame-rate this consistent is an incredibly impressive feat, the kind of achievement typically reserved for first-party Nintendo games.

A locked 60fps does not come cheap and it's clear that image quality is compromised in order to deliver this objective. This feels like an acceptable solution in this case as it benefits gameplay but those sensitive to image quality issues may be disappointed. The post-process anti-aliasing solution employed here works well enough at full 1080p but, as the resolution begins to dip, it can also result in a rather muddy-looking image.

Texture filtering also suffers from this design choice. We're still not entirely clear how much of a toll texture filtering takes on the hardware generally but clearly, it was deemed too costly for Halo 5. More than the dynamic resolution, this setting has a significant impact on image quality, leading to a lot of highly blurry textures during normal gameplay.

While these issues are significant, this is the reality of aiming for 60fps in a game like Halo 5. Dialling up frame-rate at the expense of image quality is a brave move and one that is sure to stir up controversy bearing in mind the visual trade-offs, but arguably, this is the best choice for a shooter - it's a decision that puts the quality of the gameplay first. Based on some of its marketing, we also suspect that Microsoft is aiming to position the new Halo as a major eSports franchise, where a rock-solid 60fps is absolutely crucial in a console title."

The game performance is almost perfect, something you usually don´t see in broken games at all, so... yeah.

Great to see that they are able to keep the game at a solid 60 FPS. 

"Some very nice people in this forums are hopping for this game to be rushed and broken, well, sorry to dissapoint you."

While the games performance is great, yours is a bit played out.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Normchacho said:

Great to see that they are able to keep the game at a solid 60 FPS. 

"Some very nice people in this forums are hopping for this game to be rushed and broken, well, sorry to dissapoint you."

While the games performance is great, yours is a bit played out.

But is true, I´m not gonna link you the coments I reffer to because it would be disrespectfull, but there are people actively hoping for this game to run like shit and it doesn´t, you must not feel ofended by that as you are not one of them, but since the statement has been long enough there to make my point I just changed it to something more positive. 

Zekkyou said:
Jazz2K said:

If you talk about one technical aspect, the others will come up too, good and bad. It's hardly just resolution either. If Halo 5 was 1080p/30fps, we'd inevitably have a different group complaining it wasn't 60fps. Or if it was an unstable 60fps, we'd have others saying they'd rather it be a locked 30fps, and so forth.

If you aren't interested in people expressing what technical balances they prefer, don't enter threads where it's a natural extension of the topic (in this particular case it's a part of the actual source it's built upon). Again, there's not need to throw this thread into a discussion there's no need for. By all means express why you agree or disagree with the various views expressed here, but don't mock the views themselves.

It's hardly just resolution... lol... yeah ok! Let's say we disagree then. 

Jazz2K said:

It's hardly just resolution... lol... yeah ok! Let's say we disagree then. 

I'm not sure how we can disagree on something that's present in even this thread, but as long as there are no more straw man comments, i suppose it doesn't really matter ^^

I'd rather have slower performance and a FPS where I can sit on a couch with my GF and play together online. Been a Halo fan since the original and even own an Xbox One to play it but, I'm out. I don't play games isolated and alone.