By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will NX have Paid Online?

Will NX have paid online

Yes 51 19.47%

No 103 39.31%

Maybe 45 17.18%

NX sucks! 19 7.25%

Other 2 0.76%

I like pizza 42 16.03%

Total:262

i cant see Nintendo going paid for online

Around the Network
midrange said:

online servers cost money.

Unless you want to queue up with a host that is a potential hacker, has unstable connection, or bans/kicks people for the lolz, it is best to have a third party (typically the dev) hosting online games.

Unless Nintendo wants to either:

1. continue to take losses on server maintenance

2. shut down some servers early, effectively killing the online portion of some games

3. have people pay for personal servers (EA let people do this before, most were uninterested)

4. have individual games hosted by individual consoles (subject to hacking, lag, harrassment)

Then they will be smart to charge for such service, which would explain why they would want to replace club Nintendo for membership/reward system.

Trust me, I would hate paying for online, but it is the most reasonable thing for Nintendo to do. And if you think about it, you can't expect server maintenance (or any other service) to always be free

Hasn't been an issue for PC.

That would be laughably stupid of Nintendo considering they'll have all of 5 games that can actually be played online, none of which even releasing in the first year most likely.

I feel they'll do a online subscription in terms of features like an authentic messaging system, voice/party chat, better eShop discounts, Club Nintendo, and so forth, while keeping online play free.

Einsam_Delphin said:

That would be laughably stupid of Nintendo considering they'll have all of 5 games that can actually be played online, none of which even releasing in the first year most likely.

This. Nintendo might do a Premium service without blocking online to pay the servers. Maybe cheaper than PS+ or XBox live without as many features. If they made their entire library avalible (from the NES to the WiiU) it could give a great incentive. Also, the need for this kind of service might force Nintendo to get 3rd parties to work for them.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

yes obviously

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

spemanig said:
gabzjmm23 said:

unified system across all devices and the VC games to be easily downloaded like apps or somewhat like steam would be awesome.  newer games of course are dedicated to consoles.  better infrastructure on network and additional features for an online feature would help that paid subscription.  integrate their social app (MiiVerse) then add an app for your friend list that you can video call and message them easily with the rewards like from club nintendo gave before.  it might work.

I don't think that Nintendo will ever port games designed around buttons to a platform with absolutely no buttons. They've said as much. The games on mobile will be made from the ground up for mobile to take full advantage of the platform. That means no VC games.

They've also been pretty clear about their issues with a paid subscription. It's exclusive. It devides the player base to people who have it and people who don't. Especially with Nintendo's current audience, that would be very devisive, even if they were interested.

Like I said, they don't need a payed subcription for any of that, especially not for the better infrastructure. They've already come up with ways to monetize without resorting to a subscription plan, and it's very clear that that is the route they'll be going.

Wii U video chat exists and miiverse IM exists. They don't suck because of a lack of a payed subscription. They suck because of a weak OS and an incompitence on Nintendo's part. You don't need a subscription for that kind of stuff. You need a powerful OS and a team that understands how to put those features together into a UI that it simple and intuitive. Hopefully that team is DeNA and with the lofty goals of the NX, it'll have to have an uncharacteristically large amount of recources put into the OS for it to work and be modern and revolutionary the way they seem to be touting it. I think that some of those features, especially cummunication tools like the IM functionality, need to work on phones too via the membership program main app. That seems to be a no brainer.

maybe maintenaing overall the online infrastructure needs costs and it would be on the gamers' pockets.   i would still feel that nintendo would try to release their older games to mobile and have touch controls. you've mentioned also a poor OS, so all those costs might be bundled and gamers would pay for it.  

No, but the NX OS menu will have game-ads.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Cant people just be patient and wait...

spemanig said:
midrange said:

online servers cost money.

Unless you want to queue up with a host that is a potential hacker, has unstable connection, or bans/kicks people for the lolz, it is best to have a third party (typically the dev) hosting online games.

Unless Nintendo wants to either:

1. continue to take losses on server maintenance

2. shut down some servers early, effectively killing the online portion of some games

3. have people pay for personal servers (EA let people do this before, most were uninterested)

4. have individual games hosted by individual consoles (subject to hacking, lag, harrassment)

Then they will be smart to charge for such service, which would explain why they would want to replace club Nintendo for membership/reward system.

Trust me, I would hate paying for online, but it is the most reasonable thing for Nintendo to do. And if you think about it, you can't expect server maintenance (or any other service) to always be free

Hasn't been an issue for PC.

Which platform has the most modding? I'm pretty sure Nintendo wants to prevent that.

likewise, companies putting their games on PC still have to maintain and pay for servers, so my points still apply to them (they are taking losses).