By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will NX have Paid Online?

Will NX have paid online

Yes 51 19.47%

No 103 39.31%

Maybe 45 17.18%

NX sucks! 19 7.25%

Other 2 0.76%

I like pizza 42 16.03%

Total:262

I doubt it. Partly because, like others said, they don´t have nearly enough games to offer several "free" games every month and partly because I doubt they will create a network similar to PSN/XBL (feature wise).
As for the money making aspect....I expect Nintendo to go full Amiibo paywall. Yup I think they will slowly increase the importance of Amiibos to the point where you NEED to buy specific ones for the full game experience.

Yup...RO friggin rocked  
Around the Network

I dont think so, free online is one of the positive things that which differentiates them from MS/Sony.

itsFizz said:
I doubt it. Partly because, like others said, they don´t have nearly enough games to offer several "free" games every month and partly because I doubt they will create a network similar to PSN/XBL (feature wise).
As for the money making aspect....I expect Nintendo to go full Amiibo paywall. Yup I think they will slowly increase the importance of Amiibos to the point where you NEED to buy specific ones for the full game experience.

Actually, considering Nintendo might push digital titles a lot, I'm thinking they migh bundle Amiibos with digital copies of their games.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Hopefully not. One of the things I love about the Wiiu is how I can enjoy the online portions of games like Splatoon and MK8 without paying anything!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Nintendo enthusiasts reaction reminds me of PS4 paid online rumors.

I see no reason why it wouldn't work for the NX, except Nintendo not improving their online services.

Around the Network

It's not out of the question

Op

Tachikoma said:
TheWPCTraveler said:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Seriously, screw anyone who thinks paid online is a good idea.

I wouldn't buy Mario Kart, Splatoon or Monster Hunter if they all have paid online.

PS3 fans said the same thing back when xbl was paid and psn was free and look how that turned out.

I expect the argument to quietly shift from "ours is free" to "ours is the best" for nintendo fans just as it did for playstation fans. You see, it's easy for people to shrug something off when it doesnt directly effect them, but as soon as it does (paid online) the lyrics may change a little but the chorus is always the same.

Then my response will be with my wallet.

I won't buy any games that heavily require online, and I won't even bother with the subscription.

Which basically means that whatever console system Nintendo comes up with next has been crashed through the floor in terms

of appeal (see: Mario Kart, Monster Hunter...). My bread and butter, (J/S)RPGs, are found mostly on handhelds anyway. I don't play Pokémon, either.

Now that I think about it, I really don't play online that much. Even when the service is free.

Others may change, but I will remain the same...probably.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

Tachikoma said:

PS3 fans said the same thing back when xbl was paid and psn was free and look how that turned out.

I expect the argument to quietly shift from "ours is free" to "ours is the best" for nintendo fans just as it did for playstation fans. You see, it's easy for people to shrug something off when it doesnt directly effect them, but as soon as it does (paid online) the lyrics may change a little but the chorus is always the same.

Still don't think it will happen. When Nintendo is quoting the Kindle kindle model of free data plans as a round about way of keeping online free on their next handheld, it becomes explicitely clear what their philosophy on the matter is. They'll find some other way to make that money, like Kindle did. But it won't be via paid subscription.

That is, until the new membership plan is revealed in two days to be a subscription based "rewards program," in which case I'll have to hide under a rock for a few months until you all forget I ever said any of this.

No but maybe they will have something like psplus on the ps3 where you get free games, they could give away vc games, and sometimes indie games. Oh and also if they get 3rd party support maybe later in the life they can give away some of the older AAA games.

EDIT: Kinda like you said, except you won't need it to play games online, just paying for some bonuses. 

HylianYoshi said:
No, then they'll have an edge if NX manages to be on XBO levels of power or more. If they do, though, then they should let me play all the VC stuff free.

Lmao, that would be absurdly stupid of them. You realise people are buying these games in droves at their inflated prices, right?