By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can Sony afford to fail with the next Home Console ?

I'm pretty concerned about Sony lately, it's indisputable that PS4 is dominating and it'll most likely win the 8th generation for hardware sales, but not everything is going great at Sony as you might know due to what happened to their other electronic products and lately with PS Vita.

We've now learned that Sony is likely to exit the handheld market so the company sustains more and more on the Home Console market which HAS TO sell well for the sake of the company. So do you think Sony can afford to fail with their next Home Console ?

"Can Nintendo afford to fail with their next Home Console/NX?" discussion coming soon ^-^

Around the Network

I don't know. The PlayStation has been growing and growing into one of its most important basis. They sell blu-rays thanks to PS, they offer their servers through PS, all of their devices connect to PS one way or another... If the PS brand fails, all of those other elements will suffer too. But outside of handhelds, the PlayStation brand is really strong. Unless something unexpected happens, it's not going anywhere soon.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

PS4 is not Sony's main money maker, just like Xbox is not Microsoft's main business. So yes they should be able to afford it if PS5 fails, which is highly unlikely by the way.

“Ore no... Kachi da!”

bonkeng said:
PS4 is not Sony's main money maker, just like Xbox is not Microsoft's main business. So yes they should be able to afford it if PS5 fails, which is highly unlikely by the way.

This.

I don't think so. Considering how much investment goes into supporting current PS4/XBone, Nintendo won't escape this problem either. More expensive the development of individual titles and network infrastructure is, less losses they can endure.

Around the Network

nintendo and microsoft can sony cant but that doesnt mean there wont be a ps6 lol

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

I very much doubt the PS5 would be a failure

Sony's monetary issues appear to be largely over, having shed the major loss leaders in it's employ, and most if not all the reorg costs finally sliding off the books as of the end of the 2015/16 fiscal year. Now, can they afford to have another system fail like the PS3? I don't think any company wants that, and I also don't think it's likely given the unique situation the PS3 presented to them. Even the Vita doesn't approach the same level of investment that the PS3 represented.

The Vita uses relatively common parts, the PS3 was a combination of 3 new technologies (Blu Ray, Xdr Ram, and the Cell Processor), each was uniquely costly to put into production and the mainstream, however, the Cell itself added additional layers of cost due to devs needing to spend more time wrapping their heads around the architecture. I do not believe Sony will make this mistake again, they'll continue to base their hardware around existing and commonly used tech, so as not to force devs into such a situation again.

So, I don't really think what Sony has learned from the PS3 will allow them to fail as badly, as they did with the PS3 (from a investment/profit standpoint), and shedding their loss leading divisions is really what took them from the red to the black.

they afforded it with PS3

I think a lot depends on the success of the morpheus, they've invested a shed load in its development. If its a success it could sustain Sony in the console market for a while, if it doesnt, I think any console failure would see them exit the market.