By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Nintendo is so stubborn when it comes to media formats?

The N64 using carts and the GC using mini discs were dumb decisions, but I don't really care about the Wii and WiiU not playing DVDs and such.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

Because they dont want to pay for licenses

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

TheWPCTraveler said:
Because you could effectively upgrade the hardware with cartridges?
I mean, the most effective argument for cartridges, ever, has not been mentioned when once in this thread.
Think about Starfox, about various Mode 7 titles on the Super Nintendo/Famicom.

I mean, I'd think that the Expansion Pak would've been more effective had Nintendo found a way for it to fit within the cartridge itself.

But that also driven-up production costs of the cartridges itself to the roof.  And really, with more capable systems this is hardly a worry to be able to upgrade specs mid-cycle, PS1 had power enough to deliver great games til early 2000`s. The space limitations were limiting developers much more than the spec limitation actually, Chrono Trigger was a miracle that almost didn`t happen for SNES because of lack of space. I still don`t know how they could fit RE2 two discs into one cartridge...

a

It's already been said, just because they don't want to pay royalties.

And with the Nx is going to be the same thing all over again.

But if they really go with carts as it's been rumoured I'll be okay with that.

If you could really play with an nx game in both the nx console and handeld that would be awesome!