By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Nintendo is so stubborn when it comes to media formats?

invetedlotus123 said:

They always miss the point when it comes to media. When transitioning from 2d/16 bits to 3d/32bits it was obvious they needed more space for games. Even in 16 bit era the cartridges were already limiting games because of lack of storage capacity, because of this there already were 16bit CD consoles in the market and was the very reason they wanted a CD add-on for SNES. 

They realized the need to use CD, if they didn`t the Cd add-on wouldn`t even be planned, already on 2d/16 bit, and they sticked with cartridge for 3d/64bit! This solely made they lose FF VII and other 3rd party support! And them comes the 2000`s and DVD is taking off as new format, what Nintendo do? Make a freaking conventional DVD reader or use miniDVDs? No, big DVD is too mainstream for Nintendo, they stick with other strange media choice. And than comes WII, in wich they use DVD but reject to put some movie playing capabilites.

Than with Wii U, wich had at a first moment a really market push as media center with the wholle WII TV thing, uses a proprietary format AGAIN.

Really, what`s up with Nintendo having to be so closed when comes to media? This is all fear of piracy or not wanting to pay royalties fees? Or just a big, huge and japanesy need to be " different"?

Ummm. They were planning on using CD's instead of the cartridge for the successor to the SNES but due to the partnership falling through with Sony, Sony released the Playstation with CD and Nintendo then had to put something on the market quickly with the N64, so it kinda fell back to cartridges.

They chose the mini DVD to try to stop pirating with the gamecube. It didn't stop it, just hindered it at first.

The Wii used DVD, and now the Wii U uses a semi proprietary blu-ray.

Much of it has been said to try to reduce piracy.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Around the Network

Because pushing a media center as a console didn't work for Sony in '06 or Microsoft in '13. At this point the Wii U not having a DVD/Blu-Ray player is a non-issue. You already have one in your house somewhere.

KLXVER said:
They hate sharing money.

Since the mini DVD and semi proprietary blu-ray aren't their own they are sharing money. They also share the money with ATI whome they have used as their GPU chip sets since the GameCube. Plus IBM for their processors for quite some time as well.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

64DD was a huge mistake. They could've still salvaged that gen had they ditched that and went for a CD-ROM add-on.

The issue wasn't the vendors, I'm sure Philips would've been happy to give them CD drives, and if not them probably 10 other vendors.

The issue with CD is I think Miyamoto and several others at Nintendo hated the format and they twisted Yamauchi's arm on it, but in doing so they basically handed the console market on a silver platter to Sony. That's why game designers should not be making business decisions. 

IamAwsome said:
Because pushing a media center as a console didn't work for Sony in '06 or Microsoft in '13. At this point the Wii U not having a DVD/Blu-Ray player is a non-issue. You already have one in your house somewhere.

Actually ps3 being a bd player well to Sony thanks for them winning the format war and it really was a selling point for ps3 at first, the problem that instead of bd replacing DVDs, streaming came and is becoming dominant, with bd doing well but not reaching the omnipresence DVD had. But this is subject for another thread.

Nintendo tried to push Wii U as a media center though, as TVii was really important on their first marketing, and for that it's strange to not have bd playing capabilities if already have aa bd reader inside your system .

Nintendo seems to worry so much about piracy that they go suicidal to prevent it. There's a point when its worth building your system to be piracy proof, because really, the only thing between a new protection system and a new crack for that protection system is time.

Around the Network

Because every technology invented after 1889 is evil and they want to have the least evil console possible.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Because they honestly believe being "different" makes them unique, all it does is make them behind the times.
Behind the times for media formats,
Behind the times for network connectivity
Behind the times for hardware specification
Behind the times for developmental capacity

Because they fear being too similar to other, more standard media formats would be all to easy for piracy.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Maraccuda said:
Because they fear being too similar to other, more standard media formats would be all to easy for piracy.

Meanwhile the WiiU is the only Nintendo console that hasn't been pirated... yet (only a matter of time before the first ODE is released)

vkaraujo said:
Magnus said:
For the N64 Nintendo was actually developing the 64DD which was meant to be released a year or two after the N64, with carts being only a stopgap solution. For some reason they couldn't get the thing ready in time, so the N64 was stuck with carts. The 64DD used its own magneto-optical media developed by Nintendo partly due to fear of piracy and partly because they didn't have a partner who could offer them CD technology, as the deals with Sony and Philips went sour.
For the Gamecube it was because of the design they made for the console. I don't know why they are so focused on small.
The Wii and Wii U don't have DVD playback purely because Nintendo doesn't want to pay DVD and Blu-ray royalties. At this point, it's not a big deal.

I believe it was because of piracy. Here in Brazil PS2 dominated console-wise, but i didn't knew 1 friend who didn't used pirated games. It was really easy and some of my friends had over 500 (i'm serious) games, all bought for $2 each. It was crazy.

Maybe it payed off because Brazillians today really like the playstation brand, but i can see why that scared Nintendo. 

Everyone I knew who had a ps1, ps2 or psp has lots of pirated games. I think it really sold a lot of consoles on the fact that games could essentially be free after a small mod. And now the brand is set in people's minds