By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Nintendo is so stubborn when it comes to media formats?

Soundwave said:

64DD was a huge mistake. They could've still salvaged that gen had they ditched that and went for a CD-ROM add-on.

The issue wasn't the vendors, I'm sure Philips would've been happy to give them CD drives, and if not them probably 10 other vendors.

The issue with CD is I think Miyamoto and several others at Nintendo hated the format and they twisted Yamauchi's arm on it, but in doing so they basically handed the console market on a silver platter to Sony. That's why game designers should not be making business decisions. 

They got scarred twice in a row with CDs, I can understand why they didn't want to get burned a third time. Besides, time was running out, had they made a new deal for CDs it would have delayed the N64 even further. Releasing a CD update didn't work out well for the Megadrive/Genesis, but the Famicom DD did fine in Japan, so that was a natural choice for an upgrade for Nintendo back then. Too bad that one failed, too. Nintendo really had no luck with formats back then.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

64DD was a huge mistake. They could've still salvaged that gen had they ditched that and went for a CD-ROM add-on.

The issue wasn't the vendors, I'm sure Philips would've been happy to give them CD drives, and if not them probably 10 other vendors.

The issue with CD is I think Miyamoto and several others at Nintendo hated the format and they twisted Yamauchi's arm on it, but in doing so they basically handed the console market on a silver platter to Sony. That's why game designers should not be making business decisions. 

I doubt loading times were an issue since that was a problem with the 64DD as well, as evidenced by the Ocarina of Time Iwata Asks.

But even the 64DD was small. It hold something like 64 mb if I'm correct. CD holded 750 mb back than, and it was still small for many games that used more than one.

Because they lost a LOT of money due to pirating, flashcards, emulations, homebrew, blah blah blah so they want to prevent further losses by doing things differently. This works both for and against them, so it really depends on what side you look at this :/

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Magnus said:
Soundwave said:

I doubt loading times were an issue since that was a problem with the 64DD as well, as evidenced by the Ocarina of Time Iwata Asks.

I was following the game industry at that time, I remember Miyamoto would always sh*t on CDs and loading times. IMO he was the driving force behind the decision not to use CD. 

We'll probably never know who actually made the call, but I have a strong feeling Miyamoto was heavily involved in the decision. Not going to say no to the guy who invented Mario, even though you probably should. 

I remember very vividly, this was even in the days before the internet, lol, I'd go to a book store to check out all the game magazines (EGM, Game Pro, GamePlayers, etc.) and I remember it read that Nintendo had decided not to use CD-ROM for the N64, and I remember in the pit of my stomach this feeling of "uh oh, this is probably not good". I remember have to re-read it to make sure. 

And honestly Nintendo was never the same after that. Before that they used to be what Sony is to the industry now, after that, the whole third party thing fell apart. For people who weren't around then or were young kids ... it wasn't always like this with Nintendo, in fact back in those days Nintendo was synonmous with having the most games and the most variety (due to all their developer support). The NES and SNES were to their day what the Playstation 4 is today. 

A "game drought" on a Nintendo console was unheard of in those days. It was a very different time, I feel bad for younger Nintendo fans who didn't grow up in that era and experience what it was like, it's nothing like what it is today. 

Around the Network

I don't think that using the discs for media is a smart move. But I do think that they should have been working furiously on a plug and play media player that plays movies from a USB stick. If anything they should have developed a partnership with the VLC team to bring the VLC media player to Wii U.

...and now the may go back to cartridges again with the NX...
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/79003/20150829/nintendo-nx-to-ditch-blu-ray-for-cartridges-or-sd-cards.htm
http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/22/9190981/nintendo-nx-cartridges-patent

invetedlotus123 said:

They always miss the point when it comes to media. When transitioning from 2d/16 bits to 3d/32bits it was obvious they needed more space for games. Even in 16 bit era the cartridges were already limiting games because of lack of storage capacity, because of this there already were 16bit CD consoles in the market and was the very reason they wanted a CD add-on for SNES. 

They realized the need to use CD, if they didn`t the Cd add-on wouldn`t even be planned, already on 2d/16 bit, and they sticked with cartridge for 3d/64bit! This solely made they lose FF VII and other 3rd party support! And them comes the 2000`s and DVD is taking off as new format, what Nintendo do? Make a freaking conventional DVD reader or use miniDVDs? No, big DVD is too mainstream for Nintendo, they stick with other strange media choice. And than comes WII, in wich they use DVD but reject to put some movie playing capabilites.

Than with Wii U, wich had at a first moment a really market push as media center with the wholle WII TV thing, uses a proprietary format AGAIN.

Really, what`s up with Nintendo having to be so closed when comes to media? This is all fear of piracy or not wanting to pay royalties fees? Or just a big, huge and japanesy need to be " different"?

Most of it has to do with piracy. Proprietary formats are harder to pirate. This is the main reason cartridges were chosen over discs and it's the main reason they went with their own disc format. The other smaller reason has to do with control. Nintendo likes to have control over everything. This means not having to pay royalties and being able to make something for themselves. This is also why their hardware in general is so customized. So it isn't just the media storage. It's Nintendo's culture. They like to control every aspect of their business including both the hardware and the software.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Ask the Dreamcast..... Too soon guys?

Because you could effectively upgrade the hardware with cartridges?
I mean, the most effective argument for cartridges, ever, has not been mentioned when once in this thread.
Think about Starfox, about various Mode 7 titles on the Super Nintendo/Famicom.

I mean, I'd think that the Expansion Pak would've been more effective had Nintendo found a way for it to fit within the cartridge itself.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3