By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are Handhelds = Consoles?

Are Handhelds = Consoles?

Yes 184 50.14%

No 126 34.33%

Its more complicated than that 37 10.08%

Who gives a shit! 20 5.45%

Total:367

There are two consoles. A handheld console and a home console.

There really isn't anything to argue on about.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Around the Network
bigtakilla said:
estebxx said:

yeah with a small screen and not a proper controller... i hate handhelds becuase of both of those reasons, and Home consoles dont have that problem lets not pretend that becuase they both play games they are completely equal because they are not, they have VERY distinct differences and hence they are classified in subcategories, the one is a Home console and the other is a Handheld.

if you wanna say that they are both consoles because they are both gaming devices (and thats what you people mean by that) then go ahead, but dont pretend that they dont have differences that put them in different subcategories (Home Consoles/ Handhelds).

Then please, do expand on these differences? How is the controller not a proper one? 

look at the controls in a Vita or a 3DS and then look at an X1 or PS4 controller and tell me that they are all just as ergonomic? answer is no they are not, the console ones are WAY more ergonomic. way more comfortable to use.

estebxx said:

look at the controls in a Vita or a 3DS and then look at an X1 or PS4 controller and tell me that they are all just as ergonomic? answer is no they are not, the console ones are WAY more ergonomic. way more comfortable to use.

Comfortable and proper are not synonyms...

KLXVER said:
Neodegenerate said:

As it is used to relay images for visual stimulation through use of a screen, that is exactly what it is.

I give up...

Both home consoles and handheld consoles, are dedicated video game devices aka consoles.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

also i already gave a big difference in the form of the screen size, from a personal stand point fuck small screens for gaming.

also you cant do local multiplayer in the SAME screen with a handheld.

Around the Network
Neodegenerate said:
estebxx said:

they both go hand in hand, if your controller is not comfortable and its actually a pain in the ass to use then... i wouldnt call it a proper controller.

estebxx said:
bigtakilla said:
estebxx said:

yeah with a small screen and not a proper controller... i hate handhelds becuase of both of those reasons, and Home consoles dont have that problem lets not pretend that becuase they both play games they are completely equal because they are not, they have VERY distinct differences and hence they are classified in subcategories, the one is a Home console and the other is a Handheld.

if you wanna say that they are both consoles because they are both gaming devices (and thats what you people mean by that) then go ahead, but dont pretend that they dont have differences that put them in different subcategories (Home Consoles/ Handhelds).

Then please, do expand on these differences? How is the controller not a proper one? 

?!!!?!?!!

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

estebxx said:
also i already gave a big difference in the form of the screen size, from a personal stand point fuck small screens for gaming.

Personal preference on screen size doesn't change what an item is.

Local multiplayer is not a requirement to be considered a console.

Ka-pi96 said:
estebxx said:

Geometry Wars 3 on the Vita disagrees...

how many more games do that? also i guess it uses the touch pad or something to get arround the limitation of only one controller to use.

estebxx said:
Neodegenerate said:
estebxx said:

they both go hand in hand, if your controller is not comfortable and its actually a pain in the ass to use then... i wouldnt call it a proper controller.

A proper item by definition is an item suitable for use for the function you are trying to perform.  All of your gripes are preference based, which does not change the defintion of what an item is.