By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are Handhelds = Consoles?

Are Handhelds = Consoles?

Yes 184 50.14%

No 126 34.33%

Its more complicated than that 37 10.08%

Who gives a shit! 20 5.45%

Total:367

Obviously yes

Around the Network

Yes, they are handheld consoles, but you can also handhold home consoles and displays and controllers all at the same time somehow, it helps if you have 3 or 4 hands.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

spemanig said:

Yes. The whole debate is stupid. The only difference is size and that one comes with its own screen bundled in. The games aren't even fucking different anymore.

It's not "console or handheld," it's home console or handheld console. The only differentiating factor is portability.

I also think that this is just stupid and this "debate" is just a fanboy thing.

You know, those who can´t accept that the 3ds is the console with highest total sales this generation, even being a portable console, just because its manufacturer is not their favorite brand.

This is just....lame, at least.

Yes of course handheld consoles are consoles! What the hell are they?

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Console actually refers to a container of electronics not of controls specifically. Controls are inclusive in that definition. Wired controllers are peripherals that are not part of the system itself so the console (video game) itself doesn't control anything with regard to accepting user input, invalidating its classification under that definition. A old school computer terminal is more akin to that definiton of console.

Furthermore, there is no need to create new terminology for a dedicated video game device, because 1. its still fits the definition of console and 2. not that many things are referred to as consoles anymore anyway.

Right. 

I would add that consoles are not aimed to display a computer game specifically on a TV, but on any kind of screen or display (external or self-built) with video and sound.

Around the Network

This is like asking if mobiles or cells are phones. Of course handheld consoles are consoles.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Labels are completely arbitrary and very often illogical. I love watching people struggle to understand that and think that their version is correct.

Valdath said:
Sony is king in home consoles and Nintendo is king in handheld consoles, there's no need for console wars.

Is there a need for comparison between the two? Sales and Games wise? Or do you think they both belong in their own sub-categories?

AEGRO said:
Valdath said:
Sony is king in home consoles and Nintendo is king in handheld consoles, there's no need for console wars.

Is there a need for comparison between the two? Sales and Games wise? Or do you think they both belong in their own sub-categories?

I voted for "Who gives a shit" so... yeah.

Valdath said:
AEGRO said:

I voted for "Who gives a shit" so... yeah.

LOL

Fair Enough!