By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - is this how we push sales now?

StarOcean said:
RubberWhistleHistle said:

lol seriously? 

not all mods are the same though.. and i have gotten banned for threads that were way more mild than this. but ill trust you on this one.

It looks a lot better now that you've gotten rid of that part. Hopefully you'll be able to have a nice discussion with people now. Anyway, good luck!

lol thanks.. here goes nothin'

Around the Network

so here we go again, any time i make a thread that is going to result in a ban, i always have to preface it with i dont care if you lock this, i dont care if you ban me, this is just something that really needs to get out there. there will be people who see this and maybe, JUST MAYBE they will kind of see my point of view on this bullcrap that is going on in the industry.

First of all, you getting banned is entirely your fault, each and every time. All you need to do is word yourself a little differently, and you wouldn't get banned. It's your choice not to do so. And I'm not saying this post is bannable, cause I don't really think it is.

so we have holidays coming up. exciting time every year, right? i most certainly think so. but you have companies like Sony and Microsoft (sorry for pointing fingers, first bannable offense right here, i know) who instead of coming up with their own games decide that the best way to push sales for the holiday are to partner up with random third parties so they can have exclusive limited edition console bundles.

First of all, stop making this a Sony and Microsoft thing. Nintendo does the same. Who would've thought. And can you try to guess why all of the big three do this? Because it sells consoles. It sells consoles for Sony, it sells consoles for Microsoft, and it sells consoles for frikkin Nintendo too.

again, the strategy isnt to invest on solid titles only available to your platform, the strategy is to throw money at a third party so you can have either exclusive content from their game or a special console that the competition isnt going to have. yeah, that is a giagantic step forward for the industry right?

Actually, they do also invest in solid titles only available to that platform. While Sony's holiday lineup is rather weak, their year hasn't been that bad, though it has certainly not been strong. However they're gonna make up for that next year, where they have a packed lineup. Microsoft has Forza 6 and Halo 5, and the timed exclusive Tomb Raider (which I'm sure you're gonna say doesn't count because it isn't developped by a 1st party studio. Moving on.) It's not like Nintendo has a packed holiday, with XCX and.... uh... Mario Tennis. Oh, and that F2P Animal Crossing. Yeah, can't leave that out.

as a console manufacturer, youre literally putting money into something that is limiting options for the consumer instead of putting into something that expands options for the consumer. and wait, here is the kicker! you are going to have people who fight to the death arguing for how this is somehow a great thing. im sick of seeing companies spend resources that involve taking things away rather than contributing something unique to the marketplace. 

First of all, how does a console with an exclusive design limit consumer options in any notable way? Exclusive DLC, sure (though most exclusive DLC is just timed, so it'll come to the other platforms eventually), like what Sony has made a deal for with DEstiny (and CoD, 20 days timed exclusive DLC). And yes, also Tomb Raider, where Microsoft paid for timed exlusivity, in addition to helping with development to make a *gasp* better game! *gasps again*

Oh and yeah, I forgot one more example. Nintendo, you know, that company that you didn't bring up when you were pointing fingers, yeah, they bought exclusivity of a franchise called Monster Hunter. But maybe that doesn't count, since it's japanese?

one last thing before i get into my closing statement, i know many of you will bring up Nintendo's policies in the 8 and 16 bit era as if i automatically agree with them because i like Nintendo products. that is something i can definitely address if i stick around long enough. 

I'm not gonna do that, because why would I? I have brought up examples of Nintendo doing the same this very gen instead. Even though you may not agree with it, you choose to ignore it.

again, i know that there are going to be people reporting this saying "flame bait" but mods, im telling you that this is not the purpose of the thread. this is me bringing up a real issue and i want to get it out there because its something that i NEVER see anybody talking about. im ABSOLUTELY NOT trying to stir up a shit storm, im trying to get people to see these things from my point of view. isnt that why we participate on the forums? i want to be able to express how i see something in a real (not contrived) way, and if the cost is that im going to get banned, well then i hope my message reached somebody and they can see what i see even if it is just for a moment. because that is what i came here for. 

I didn't really go so deep into wether or not it's bad, and if so, how bad. I frankly don't care, and I understand it's a part of the business (which is why, and I cannot stress this enough, all three do it). 3rd party franchises sell consoles, even Nintendo ones (though mostly the handhelds), so it's only logical that console manufacturers will make deals with third parties to make it seem like franchise X belongs on system A, and franchise Y belongs on system B, etc.

Yes, that's how: "Look, we've got something that Nintendo doesn't"

Sounds like a reasonable argument, the customer will make its decision.

Man you should stop with the persecution syndrome! that's a rather mild thread...

and don't both Sony and MS release more first party software than Nintendo by now? it's just that they have to compete with the big third parties on their respective machines (which is a good thing).

Back on topic, the mods, the worst thing I found them culprit of is their handling of the gamergate related topics, I once got banned ffor saying I did not want to be associated with people who make threath of rape and other type of violence and/or online harrassment, no matter their justification for it... These people make us all look bad in so many ways, they should not be allowed to associate themselves with "gaming".

alabtrosMyster said:

Man you should stop with the persecution syndrome! that's a rather mild thread...

and don't both Sony and MS release more first party software than Nintendo by now? it's just that they have to compete with the big third parties on their respective machines (which is a good thing).

Back on topic, the mods, the worst thing I found them culprit of is their handling of the gamergate related topics, I once got banned ffor saying I did not want to be associated with people who make threath of rape and other type of violence and/or online harrassment, no matter their justification for it... These people make us all look bad in so many ways, they should not be allowed to associate themselves with "gaming".

I'm not sure this is the place to post that.

"Problems With Moderation. If you have a problem with a moderator or a moderation, send the moderator who issued your moderation a private message (Rule 11 applies to PMs as well as posts, wall posts, and any other moderator-related conversation), and if you are still dissatisfied, send a private message to the Lead Moderators.

• Do not post these issues in the forums, outside of moderator-sanctioned threads, or on the moderator's wall - doing so will result in moderation action against you."

Around the Network

halo, uncharted, bloodborne, gears of war, rachet and clank, forza, gravity daze, scalebound, horizon, quantum break, the last guardian, infamous, crackdown, dreams, phantom dust,... there is TONS of games coming from sony and microsoft.

..but dont be daft. CoD, madden, MGS, battlefield, fallout, dragon age, batman, far cry, GTA, ect,... these are system sellers for a lot of people. it would be bad business to not try and hitch your ride to the big successful franchises that push people to buy consoles.

honestly, it's nintendo's refusal to value 3rd parties that is the number one reason they are a distant 3rd place in the console race. you can hold your chin up high if you want but it doesn't make you look distinguished when your on your knees..

I agree with you. Exclusive games don't benefit the consumer, games should be on all consoles with the same content, let people choose the console they prefer without having to lock content or games.

I wish consoles were like PC where you just choose the hardware not the software. Having to buy 3 consoles to play all the games is so dumb.

vivster said:
So you're completely ignoring that both manufacturers have a steady output of 1st party games for which they also do bundles?
I doubt the cost of all the exclusive deals put together would save enough money for a single AAA experience.

Yes, chopped up games that deliberately hide content from a specific group of consumers is not very nice but that's not really a fresh point to make thread about. This has been lamented over and over by the gaming press in editorials.

Also, if you would take your time actually reading the rules instead of talking about being banned you would know that there was no bannable offence in your opening post.

im just so used to getting banned that i think everything i do is a bannable offense. 

and also, you have to think about this, me and you can do the same thing, but because of my history, i could actually get banned whereas you would get away unbanned. that was actually explained to me a couple bans ago. :P

anyways, im running really short on time here but just because things like this arent fresh points doesnt mean that they shouldnt be brought up. ill stop bringing it up once these companies start acting like they want to give us something that is works and is complete on the day of purchase. it seems to have gotten A LITTLE bit better this year.. but it is still a huge problem obviously. 

this year in particular, i hate how sony is really just trying to win this holiday with exclusive bundles. i mean, for me that is just a giant facepalm, SMH, etc. i just want to shake them and say DO SOMETHING!! two ps3 ports and exclusive third party bundles is your idea of a great second half of 2015?? 

I think your expectation is more off than their business practices. Both Sony and Microsoft have a finite amount of their own game studios and making games takes several years. It's only natural that you won't have a great game every quarter of the year. Also Sony apparently prefers to release their big games in the first half. Why should they only focus on the second half of the year that's filled with 3rd party blockbusters anyway?

Sony had 3 high profile AAA games this year, all of which are brand new IPs. Last year they had 3 of which one was a new IP.  Behind the Scenes they're working on PSNow and PSVR to bring even more content to the console. What the fuck are you expecting?

Why do you focus on first party content anyway? The only reason they exist is to sell consoles anyway. Meaning they serve the exact same purpose as exclusive 3rd party bundles. The games industry lives through 3rd parties and both Sony and Microsoft are getting their vast amount of profits from them. 1st party content really is only a very tiny fraction of what is offered throughout the year, yet people seem to focus exclusively on those as if they had any impact on the industry as a whole.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

This topic is completely ridiculous. Tell me, were you in hybernetic sleep for the last 6 years or so? How come you are suddenly getting so agitated, obviously because of the BO bundle, when that shit has existed for years now? And who are you to say that these deals being made means that no exclusive games are being funded? Did all non-Nintendo first party studios suddenly get closed and I didn't hear about it?

Oh and of course Nintendo would never do something like that, that's why their lineup for the rest of the year is so absolutely stellar with highly anticipated titles such as Animal Crossings "buy more" Amiibo festival, Mario "nobody asked for this" Tennis, Devils "Yes it really is that shit" Third, Fatal "over a year to localize" Frame V and Xenoblade "hey this only took us 7 months to localize" X. Meanwhile things like exclusive content tied to special Amiibo/Skylanders in the new Skylanders game don't exist, just like the Shovel Knight Amiibo doesn't exist. And of course the literally dozens of different special edition 3DS's, which include third party titles, don't exist either.

No, no, the problem that we have to complain about now, in 2015, are special edition consoles, because for some reason a special edition PS4 bothers you and people buying it bothers you (oh unless they are collectors, but those can't exist for CoD because reasons, right?)

You wanna know why so many of your threads get locked? Because they are biased, poorly researched crap like this that are using a thinly veiled excuse to start a console war.

DerNebel said:

This topic is completely ridiculous. Tell me, were you in hybernetic sleep for the last 6 years or so? How come you are suddenly getting so agitated, obviously because of the BO bundle, when that shit has existed for years now? And who are you to say that these deals being made means that no exclusive games are being funded? Did all non-Nintendo first party studios suddenly get closed and I didn't hear about it?

Oh and of course Nintendo would never do something like that, that's why their lineup for the rest of the year is so absolutely stellar with highly anticipated titles such as Animal Crossings "buy more" Amiibo festival, Mario "nobody asked for this" Tennis, Devils "Yes it really is that shit" Third, Fatal "over a year to localize" Frame V and Xenoblade "hey this only took us 7 months to localize" X. Meanwhile things like exclusive content tied to special Amiibo/Skylanders in the new Skylanders game don't exist, just like the Shovel Knight Amiibo doesn't exist. And of course the literally dozens of different special edition 3DS's, which include third party titles, don't exist either.

No, no, the problem that we have to complain about now, in 2015, are special edition consoles, because for some reason a special edition PS4 bothers you and people buying it bothers you (oh unless they are collectors, but those can't exist for CoD because reasons, right?)

You wanna know why so many of your threads get locked? Because they are biased, poorly researched crap like this that are using a thinly veiled excuse to start a console war.

O_O