By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - is this how we push sales now?

Bofferbrauer said:
kitler53 said:

halo, uncharted, bloodborne, gears of war, rachet and clank, forza, gravity daze, scalebound, horizon, quantum break, the last guardian, infamous, crackdown, dreams, phantom dust,... there is TONS of games coming from sony and microsoft.

..but dont be daft. CoD, madden, MGS, battlefield, fallout, dragon age, batman, far cry, GTA, ect,... these are system sellers for a lot of people. it would be bad business to not try and hitch your ride to the big successful franchises that push people to buy consoles.

honestly, it's nintendo's refusal to value 3rd parties that is the number one reason they are a distant 3rd place in the console race. you can hold your chin up high if you want but it doesn't make you look distinguished when your on your knees..

Oh, Nintendo did value third parties very much at the release of the Wii U, just check how many of them where on the console at release. It was them who jumped ship and left Nintendo with only their first party titles and a few multiplats (mostly movie licenses and party games).

As for the issue the OP is mentioning, I must agree the first party lineup of both Xbox ONE and PS4 is pretty dodgy at best yet. Bloodborne was great, Sunset Overdrive was different, Rare Replay, InFamous and Forza where routined without great peaks and what's left where letdowns and last gen remasters. None of this incites me to buy one of those 2 consoles, as I have a gaming PC and thus can play a felt 99% of their lineup.

In fact, I have always bought a console just for their exclusive titles, and the lack of interesting ones already made me get a PS3 only very late into it's life, while I bought the Wii in it's first 6 month of release (and no, I never felt let down by it). I feel history repeats again this gen where I bought the Wii U in it's first 6 moth of release but have no interest at all yet for the other 2 consoles.

You may rephrase it to "exclusives you like"... because in numbers neither MS or Sony have so little exclusives that would be so inferior to Nintendo to justify one being 6 months purchase and the other a end gen and the last not even bought...

Go there and look the number of exclusives of PS4, X1 and WiiU and I wouldn't say WiiU is winning hands down.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Man this gamer entitlement has been getting pretty stupid lately. Whats up with these insane ideals? Playstation and xbox are businesses, they do this to make money. They certainly arent in the console market to suck your gamer dick, and live up to any unattainble moral standard that you have set.

- These exclusive marketing deals are all about MARKETING. For fucks sake nobody is going to buy a console based on an extra meaningless side mission or character skin. These marketing deals are all about building mind share for the console. For fucks sake why cant people get that already?

Having a logo at the end of each trailer or gameplay video posted online helps build mind share for that console. Or having the publisher say stuff like "play station is the definitive place to play desting" on a constant basis. Its the most effective way of buidling mindshare and awarness for a brand in the long run.

- And whats wrong with some limited edition bundles? They are cool? People like them? They offer variety in the hardware? They have a third party game bundled with them?

I dont get it, whats wrong with third party games? Why is sony offering a cod or starwars bundle such a big deal?

If there was anything considered a waste of thread space, this would be it. You are blaming sony/ms for making bundles with third party devs. when third party games are great, the limited edition consoles are cool and this helps boost sales for them. Just because this doesnt fit your "ideal gaming standards" doesnt make it wrong.

DerNebel said:

This topic is completely ridiculous. Tell me, were you in hybernetic sleep for the last 6 years or so? How come you are suddenly getting so agitated, obviously because of the BO bundle, when that shit has existed for years now? And who are you to say that these deals being made means that no exclusive games are being funded? Did all non-Nintendo first party studios suddenly get closed and I didn't hear about it?

Oh and of course Nintendo would never do something like that, that's why their lineup for the rest of the year is so absolutely stellar with highly anticipated titles such as Animal Crossings "buy more" Amiibo festival, Mario "nobody asked for this" Tennis, Devils "Yes it really is that shit" Third, Fatal "over a year to localize" Frame V and Xenoblade "hey this only took us 7 months to localize" X. Meanwhile things like exclusive content tied to special Amiibo/Skylanders in the new Skylanders game don't exist, just like the Shovel Knight Amiibo doesn't exist. And of course the literally dozens of different special edition 3DS's, which include third party titles, don't exist either.

No, no, the problem that we have to complain about now, in 2015, are special edition consoles, because for some reason a special edition PS4 bothers you and people buying it bothers you (oh unless they are collectors, but those can't exist for CoD because reasons, right?)

You wanna know why so many of your threads get locked? Because they are biased, poorly researched crap like this that are using a thinly veiled excuse to start a console war.

oh my god, give me a fucking break. you are seriously going to sit here and talk about what NINTENDO has in line for the rest of the year?? hahahhahahahahahahahaha good one, man. why dont you go ahead and compare that to what the PS4 has. this should be interesting.

ZhugeEX said:
Well bundles are working wonders. 90% of sales in the US are now bundles and 10% are standalone consoles.

Consumers are more likely to buy if a game they want is bundled with the console.

yeah, thats exactly the problem im trying to address. these companies know that they can just do that instead of investing in something different. sony is riding this holiday with bundles bundles bundles! and we just give them a pass for it, and its pretty damn dispicable. the industry is in complete shambles and its going to fall apart because nobody wants put in any effort to actually do something anymore.

Third parties are important, in many ways more important than first party because they generally have a much larger fanbase and following on account of the greater brand reach, and because of that, having the leg up with third parties makes a difference.

Mark my words, if nintendo had support from third parties they would be partnering for content too, and they oftens still do (snake in smash bros, etc) and more recently, partnering with mercedes benz for mk dlc.

So yeah, moaning about third parties is dumb.

Around the Network
RubberWhistleHistle said:

yeah, thats exactly the problem im trying to address. these companies know that they can just do that instead of investing in something different. sony is riding this holiday with bundles bundles bundles! and we just give them a pass for it, and its pretty damn dispicable. the industry is in complete shambles and its going to fall apart because nobody wants put in any effort to actually do something anymore.

And why are they riding bundles? Could it be because of all the games set for 2016 theyre focusing their efforts on? Because that doesnt fit your "nobody wants to put in any effort", both sony and microsoft have a solid set of games coming from 2015-2016, how is that in any way fitting your description?

Bofferbrauer said:
kitler53 said:

halo, uncharted, bloodborne, gears of war, rachet and clank, forza, gravity daze, scalebound, horizon, quantum break, the last guardian, infamous, crackdown, dreams, phantom dust,... there is TONS of games coming from sony and microsoft.

..but dont be daft. CoD, madden, MGS, battlefield, fallout, dragon age, batman, far cry, GTA, ect,... these are system sellers for a lot of people. it would be bad business to not try and hitch your ride to the big successful franchises that push people to buy consoles.

honestly, it's nintendo's refusal to value 3rd parties that is the number one reason they are a distant 3rd place in the console race. you can hold your chin up high if you want but it doesn't make you look distinguished when your on your knees..

Oh, Nintendo did value third parties very much at the release of the Wii U, just check how many of them where on the console at release. It was them who jumped ship and left Nintendo with only their first party titles and a few multiplats (mostly movie licenses and party games).

As for the issue the OP is mentioning, I must agree the first party lineup of both Xbox ONE and PS4 is pretty dodgy at best yet. Bloodborne was great, Sunset Overdrive was different, Rare Replay, InFamous and Forza where routined without great peaks and what's left where letdowns and last gen remasters. None of this incites me to buy one of those 2 consoles, as I have a gaming PC and thus can play a felt 99% of their lineup.

In fact, I have always bought a console just for their exclusive titles, and the lack of interesting ones already made me get a PS3 only very late into it's life, while I bought the Wii in it's first 6 month of release (and no, I never felt let down by it). I feel history repeats again this gen where I bought the Wii U in it's first 6 moth of release but have no interest at all yet for the other 2 consoles.

You know things become much simpler when you realize that most companies act on the principle of making money. 

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Is this how we push sales now?

No it's how we have always been pushing sales. Everyone has been using this tactic since the very beginning

ZhugeEX said:
Well bundles are working wonders. 90% of sales in the US are now bundles and 10% are standalone consoles.

Consumers are more likely to buy if a game they want is bundled with the console.

I think youre exagerating a bit, ye there are bundles and exclusive deals and whatnot, but theres also plenty of new things comming both in games and hardware department from first party or otherwise. And quite frankly I cant see whats the problem with bundles and publicity deals, the game devs reduce production costs by "offloading" the advertisement expenses to Sony or MS and Sony and MS actualy advertise both the game and theyre console in association benefitting from the deal themselves, its win win.

Ye the exclusive content thing can be somewhat anoying, but mostly these exclusive contents are very very minor, no one would switch a PS4 for a One or vice versa over a couple of exclusive 30 minutes DLC. 

DerNebel said:

This topic is completely ridiculous. Tell me, were you in hybernetic sleep for the last 6 years or so? How come you are suddenly getting so agitated, obviously because of the BO bundle, when that shit has existed for years now? And who are you to say that these deals being made means that no exclusive games are being funded? Did all non-Nintendo first party studios suddenly get closed and I didn't hear about it?

Oh and of course Nintendo would never do something like that, that's why their lineup for the rest of the year is so absolutely stellar with highly anticipated titles such as Animal Crossings "buy more" Amiibo festival, Mario "nobody asked for this" Tennis, Devils "Yes it really is that shit" Third, Fatal "over a year to localize" Frame V and Xenoblade "hey this only took us 7 months to localize" X. Meanwhile things like exclusive content tied to special Amiibo/Skylanders in the new Skylanders game don't exist, just like the Shovel Knight Amiibo doesn't exist. And of course the literally dozens of different special edition 3DS's, which include third party titles, don't exist either.

No, no, the problem that we have to complain about now, in 2015, are special edition consoles, because for some reason a special edition PS4 bothers you and people buying it bothers you (oh unless they are collectors, but those can't exist for CoD because reasons, right?)

You wanna know why so many of your threads get locked? Because they are biased, poorly researched crap like this that are using a thinly veiled excuse to start a console war.

oh my god, give me a fucking break. you are seriously going to sit here and talk about what NINTENDO has in line for the rest of the year?? hahahhahahahahahahahaha good one, man. why dont you go ahead and compare that to what the PS4 has. this should be interesting.

Not really a fan of these, but since you asked for it.

PS4:
Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengence
Rockband 4
Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection
Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below
The Talos Principle: Deluxe Edition
Wasteland 2: Director's Cut
Guitar Hero Live
Tales of Zestiria
Assassin's Creed Syndicate
WWE 2K16
Earthlock: Festival of Magic
Just Dance 2016
Need for Speed
Call of Duty: Black Ops III
Fallout 4
Sword Art Online: Lost Song
Star Wars: Battlefront
Just Cause 3

Wii U:
Yoshi's Woolly World
Guitar Hero Live
Fatal Frame: Maiden of the Black Water
Earthlock: Festival of Magic
Just Dance 2016
Rodea the Sky Soldier
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Devil's Third

I'm sure I'm missing games, but the games above all have confirmed release dates in the US and the bolded are true exclusives.