By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Don't Count Nintendo Out, Says Former Xbox Boss Robbie Bach

He's definitely more optimistic than some Nintendo fans after this year's E3

Around the Network
Angelus said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Mostly agree with him

Disagree on the Nintendo = toy company though. They really don't do that much in the way of toys, the only ones they do are usually just merchandise for the game franchises anyways. To me Nintendo are first and foremost a gaming company, just like EA, Sega, Activision etc.

It's actually pretty true. Maybe not necessarily in terms of technicality, but certainly in perception (and we all know perception is reality). Xbox and PS are seen as gaming consoles, where as Nintendo systems are largely looked at as being for children. And if it's considered to be a child's play thing then naturally people see it as a toy more than anything else. That's aside from the fact that any pure game console could easily be considered a toy anyway. Sony and MS are making all around entertainment systems so they kinda fall out of that category, but Nintendo still really just does games.

Edit: Also, that's some quite selective quoting OP

So then by this logic. The PS1, and Xbox were toys too? Since they didn't have media functions like now. And Netflix etc. don't count as media functions on Nintendo's stuff?

Angelus said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Mostly agree with him

Disagree on the Nintendo = toy company though. They really don't do that much in the way of toys, the only ones they do are usually just merchandise for the game franchises anyways. To me Nintendo are first and foremost a gaming company, just like EA, Sega, Activision etc.

It's actually pretty true. Maybe not necessarily in terms of technicality, but certainly in perception (and we all know perception is reality). Xbox and PS are seen as gaming consoles, where as Nintendo systems are largely looked at as being for children. And if it's considered to be a child's play thing then naturally people see it as a toy more than anything else. That's aside from the fact that any pure game console could easily be considered a toy anyway. Sony and MS are making all around entertainment systems so they kinda fall out of that category, but Nintendo still really just does games.

All you really had to do was reply with "Amiibo" and you would have made your point lol. 

archer9234 said:
Angelus said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Mostly agree with him

So then by this logic. The PS1, and Xbox were toys too? Since they didn't have media functions like now. And Netflix etc. don't count as media functions on Nintendo's stuff?

PS1 was marketed as being able to double as a CD player and Xbox, DVD/CDs. 

the guy speaks truth

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network

Nintendo should go third party. Its hard for me to say that since im a huge nintendo fan but i think they cant compete anymore and should go third party.

AlfredoTurkey said:
Angelus said:

All you really had to do was reply with "Amiibo" and you would have made your point lol. 

Yes, but I was accused of not being "deep" enough on my posts earlier today

jason1637 said:
Nintendo should go third party. Its hard for me to say that since im a huge nintendo fan but i think they cant compete anymore and should go third party.

I agree if the next console is a dud. But since Nintendo still has $4 billion on the bank, I would like to continue purchasing Nintendo console if great games still release for it.

But I can see how others have outgrown Nintendo, are upset Wii U owners, and are ready to move to other systems.

AbbathTheGrim said:

- on Nintendo's appeal and how it differentiates to that of both the PlayStation and Xbox brand he said the following:

"This does speak to something about Nintendo that's different than Sony or Microsoft. Sony is a consumer electronics company and Microsoft is a digital PC electronics company. Nintendo—with great respect and pride—is a toy company, and always has been. That's why their franchises on the game side are so powerful. There may be an opportunity there for them to invest in what is essentially a core attribute of what they do (toys), and it may create an opportunity for the company that's unique and separates them from Microsoft and Sony."

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/09/dont_count_nintendo_out_says_former_xbox_boss_robbie_bach

That bit there seems to pretty much sum up Nintendo's biggest weakness and the reason Wii U has done so badly. It still sees itself in the toy market and appeals the the child, or the child inside of us, but has not fully realised that video games are no longer just a child-like thing. If they are happy to continue in the niche of child-like games, with occasional flurries into the adult, then Wii U level of sales is what they will continue with. And that is fine if they are comfortable to be there and can be profitable. There is no need to buy into the console arms race if you don't have to. But if they want to be the number 1 console brand they need their home console to establish a different image than it has right now.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Burek said:

I agree with Bach that they are a toy company, basically they make money off little plastic figurines, and make games predominantly aimed at young audience.
That's why they are not in competition with Sony or Microsoft, their competitors are actually LEGO, Disney and Mattel.

As for not discounting them, I think they are done with home consoles, there is no way they can make a comeback, their user base has dwindled close to insignificance. I certainly hope they go away, they have nothing to offer anymore.

User moderated -RavenXtra

I agree that Nintendo is a toy company, but only because I see games as toys.  Also, it's not only young audiences that enjoy toys.  Adults tend to have just as many toys as children, the toys just tend to be more sophisticated.

I'm not sure why you would want Nintendo to 'go away'.  They are one of the most talented game developers around.  It's a very rare occassion that they release a game that is not top notch.  I'm sorry if you're missing out on that.  They're responsible for getting a lot of people into gaming - especially at a young age.  As a gamer, I can't think of any rational reason why you would wish their demise.