By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - if Sony drops the price will Microsoft follow?

RenCutypoison said:
Teeqoz said:

October I could understand, due to Halo, but November? Sony has the Battlefront bundle and marketing rights, CoD marketing rights (an the inevitable bundle). If the two consoles are sold at the same price it's gonna be hard for MS to win november.

Aren't CoD and Battlefield more successful on Xbox usually ?

I expect Tomb Raider to be quite big, Fallout 4 too (Bethesda games usually ony do good on xbox as far as home consoles are concerned) and a few games released previously should have an effect (forza 6, gow hd).

I dunno bout Battlefield, but probably yes, Battlefront is a new IP though (and the PS4 has an exclusive bundle with it that includes a Darth Vader themed PS4), despite the similarities it has with Battlefield. CoD has usually had Xbox exclusive advertising, now it has Playstation exclusive advertising (and with it the...sigh...20 days timed exclusive DLC...) Forza 6 will hardly make a difference in the US in September, much less in November. Last november, the XBO was 50$ cheaper, had both CoD and Assassin's Creed marketing rights (both of which Sony has this year), and it had The Master Chief Collection. If it this november is the same price, and Sony has CoD, Battlefront and Assassin's Creed marketing rights, vs XBO's Fallout marketing and Tomb Raider timed exclusivity, I just don't think it'll be enough, especially when you consider that the PS4 has outsold the XBO in the US every month but april so far this year despite being 50$ more.

Around the Network

If it's still close to the break-even point, I don't see why they wouldn't (then again, you'd think they would've already if that's the case). However, they may want to go the same route as Sony and start bundling 1st party titles w/ their hardware to try and absorb the dmg better, while still giving the semblance of a price cut.

DialgaMarine said:
I don't think so, at least not for a while. The XB1 is already extremely cheaper now, compared to when it first launched.I know it's been almost 2 years, but most consoles don't get such a massive reduction in price for at least the first 3. I personally think MS went a little too ahead of the curve, and now has to hold off for a bit so as to maintain their profits.

Not in the UK it's not, think MS gave up.

MS will pretty much have to. They already can't gain any ground on Sony, as it currently is.

Can xbox afford another official price drop at this point? They've been selling less worldwide at a lower price, and I can't imagine the higher ups at microsoft being too happy that they are making $50 less on each unit sold. Both platforms will sell in the millions this holiday, and at this point xbox can't worry about 'catching up' because it just can not, so if it can get the same sales and push software at the same price, i think MS will prefer that.

Around the Network

I feel like there is less and less pressure on MS and less and less reasons to keep desperately fighting on the price level. Obviously they'd have to cut the price some time after Sony's move, but I'm getting the impression that MS finally managed to iron Xbone out and turn it into a decent product. It has managed to differentiate itself from PS4 is quite a few positive aspects. It still needs a redesign to make it smaller, obviously, but it is an interesting product. Finally.

TL;DR - they will cut the price, but in 2016. A $50 cut on PS4 shouldn't mean much for Christmas sales of Xbone. I'd leave it for Q1-2 of 2016.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Definitely imo.

Maybe temporary fire sales during BF week. If PS4 drops to $300 MS might as well profit.

Why not a $300 PS4? That was the sweet spot for the PS2 & they can always cut to $249 a few years later.

I think that if sony drops the price MS will make some great bundles to compete and can still win even if its by slight win.