By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - if Sony drops the price will Microsoft follow?

a 100$ price cut from sony would be a big deal.... (400$ -> 300$)

It would leave the Xbox One in a uncomfortable place. Probably dont want to be selling at 250$ without a shrink.
It would also make the NX entry to market alot rougher than if the PS4 was 350 or 400$.
(that is assumeing its comeing out 2016 in the 300$ price range)

It would be a smart move honestly, if the first price cut the PS4 gets is a huge one.
Make people take notice, then plaster the insane 2016 game line up everywhere so people know of it, and the generation is won.

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
CosmicSex said:

Well, at this point one must imagine that Microsoft has lowered costs, but the cost was understood to be about $375 per unir without Kinect.  Now if the price of production were to fall to sub 299 that would be a substantial decrease in production costs. There is very little to draw on that would lead most to believe that a price cut would result in losing money for Microsoft. 

However,  have you noticed that Microsoft has begun introducing higher priced SKUs.  Microsoft is actually trying to make money. I think we will only see them lower prices in response to Sony.

The estimated cost is already outdated, of course. There were rumors that MS already managed to build the SoC at lower nm's.

Than take a look at the higher priced SKU's - they also include way better value. MS knows that these won't sell that much so they also don't expect them to account for potential losses. They just provide more options to customers.

I feel two ways about this.  First I think you are right because you are but I also feel that not allowing people to switch out their own internall HDD makes part of that value (the high drive capacity or in the case of the Elite... an SSHD) a bit fateious.   I am totallly fine with a high priced special edition like Halo because its limited.  You can get it for $350 so if you want the specail version, prepare to pay. So basically, I would rater see them (Sony and Microsoft) ship actual SDDs at a good price than different sized interal drive SKUS

About them lowering the price... and the lower nm process for their SoC, if they have don't that, it  wouldn't take long for people to find out.  

walsufnir said:
Ruler said:

It wasnt reduced your source says its just speculation about slim models

Based on the reduction of the SoC. Which of course is a rumor which nobody till now verified, yes. But you say it wasn't reduced while we can't be completely sure but the "leak" doesn't really add much for your belief than it does to mine.

Buy and dissassemble the new model

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I think each one will follow its own roadmap, not only because nobody wants a price war, but also because while they don't want to kick Ninty out of the home console market, they also need to keep a price cut as a possible defence if the next Ninty console will be so strong to threaten to crush 8th gen ones too early.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!